Is it possible to install Lion on Intel Pentium D?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

tle88

tle88

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Something new with this ?

I have 2 machines with old intel G945GNTLKR motherboard and pentium D945.
Motherboards not work with any core2 processor. Now they have 10.6.7

I am really - REALLY - interested to run lion kernel with this old machines.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
The primary issue is that it stops at "Got Boot Device", meaning it found the OS but nothing else happens.

If you'd like to try it, I can give you the kernel.

tle88

tle88

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
That would be very kindly, thank You. If You ask permission, can it put somewhere more public ?
More brain, more power or something that like. - Like this community.

Pentium D have only multimedia command or order, which calls SSE3. Lion needs SSSE3.
(one more S, if I remember right, different is four order)

Removing only cpu id is not enough. It is necessary to make emulation those 4 commands, which
lack this time. No one is anymore writing this emulation, maybe everyone capable have already enough
new processor and machine. That is a pity. (to us, of course... )

If I remember right, someone says, that even Finder use now those SSSE3 orders. In this situation
machine cannot even get Finder without full working emulation. Maybe this is the reason, why boot
stop.

===

But if You find some suitable place for kernel, I like to try myself. I am afraid, that I am a little bit
sceptical.

T -.-

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
If I remember right, SSSE3 is only for 64-bit (x86_64). This kernel is 32-bit (i386). At least, that's the way it was in previous releases (SL, Leo, Tiger)...

http://www.mediafire...b4us7d8sy8ah5b5

Do you know how to patch kernels? If so, can you direct me to where I can get a kernel patcher/kernel source code? I'd love to see if I could help in some way. :)

The main reason I haven't made this more public is because it doesn't work right...but maybe if we can get a few devs together we can get this sorted out (however, not even the great meklort knew what was up with my error). Some Atom kernels result in the same way as the one above.

dosdude

dosdude

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I have successfully got Lion running on my Pentium D 940!!!! (no ssse3 support). EDIT: 64-bit apps are now WORKING!!! New kernel link:

http://www.mediafire...spw5i1yabscdlbz

You must boot with -nossse3bit. And when I first used this, it got stuck on [pci configuration begin], this was fixed by installing the IOPCI package from the iAtkos L2 distro. Download the package here:

http://www.mediafire...j216pa5p3oaphpk

After doing all this, I have a perfect Lion Pentium D Hackintosh!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy