Anyone with LION on Dell Precision 690 ? -Yes ME :)

Trututu

37 posts in this topic

I think the voodoohda that is in the zip is 2.7it seems to work quite nicely. I have an Asus hd6670 i got from newegg for around 60 i think http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121442 it has went up by 10 dollars it seems but it appears to work oob for the most part. Just on a 10.8 install remove the ati6000controller.kext or you will get screwed up graphics. Toss it in your extra folder on your usb drive to get around that. Boot with "-f -v maxmem=4096 GraphicsEnabler=yes" and you should be golden. Upon completing your OSX install run kextwizard and install the saved file. I am getting help with the network card and DSDT files. When i get that i will end up making a 10.8 install guide and throw the files up along with the org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist that i have used. Hopefully that will help others out and keep from spending the weeks of research that I did to cobble the pieces together. If you want them before i make the guide let me know. Hopefully when the dsdt is finished my SAS drive will not show up with a funky remeovalbe icon.

My Ethernet is working bro! I have a real computer here now. Very tempting to use this as my everyday machine. I looked at the asus card, but it is a bit pricey and I don't want to spend much money on this machine. Any thoughts on a gt240? I hear they are oob as well. I spotted one on ebay for $30.

i have never been a big fan of Nvidia products so i have no idea but the asus card is well worth it as far as power to compliment the rest of the hardware. Side note i do have 2 3Ghz x2 procs and 4 512 1Rx8 pc2 sticks of ram to get rid of if they will help you any. Glad the ethernet is working for you

• Like 1

are those dual or quad-core procs? I could totally use the ram though! oh yeah, just got my graphics working after a morning of hard work. running a asus 210 sient 1gb i got for $30. had to use had to edit com.apple.boot.plist using osx86 tools. acceleration is working and i can now watch dvds. running at 1080p. I now have a fully functioning customac thanks to you guys

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone.

I recently got Mountain Lion going on a T5400 dual proc machine, so thought I'd try my luck on a Precision 690.  Much harder!

I have a Zotac GTX 660 which I know works in the T5400.   I disabled PATA in the bios and using S3 power save mode.

I was hoping to go the myHack way with 10.8 but I get a black screen after the kexts load with nothing.  This is using

-f -v UseKernelCache=No

and tried PCIRootUID=0 and 1

I tried using iAtkos 10.8.2, but i get a kernel panic on install after kexts are loaded.  Heres a video I recorded-

using-

-f -v UseKernelCache=No

Thanks for any tips or pointers that might send me on the right path!

Could anyone who has a working build please chime in on their bios versions that they are using?  I'm trying to decide which one to update with but think im going to run with A07.

im running A00 so hopefully that is my problem.

• 8 months later...

Hi guys i just want to shear that i have install Mavericks 10.9.2 on dell 690 but i have some fan problem because they are too loud and fast any help would be greatly appreciated

yo bro, the 690 has a switch on the inside top right corner that senses whether the case panel is open or not. If that switch is not pressed down, the fans will spin up at full power because it senses that the case's cooling is compromised. Your switch could either be unplugged from the board or no longer functioning properly. I actually taped my case sensor switch down so I could work on the case while it is open. Yup, those fans are load at full speed but amazingly quiet when operating correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. I would like to get ANY version of QSX installed on my dell 690. Apparently it can only be installed on 1 version of the board. (As there were several versions) I have the MY0171 version RevA02 and according to what I have found IT is the only version that has success of installation of the OS. My dilemma is that there is no clear method of installation for this. Bits and pieces of how to can be found and many promises from people going to make a how to guide, but none have come fourth. Anyone able to point me in the proper direction on how to at least install ANY version of OSX an this machine? I have been trying for over a week now and have come up empty. Any direction on this would be appreciated. Thanks

I am using my SAS controller HW raid will not work with OSX. LPT SERIAL and FIREWIRE PATA and Floppy DISABLED. the performance settings everything is enabled execpt CPUID that is disabled.  If firewire is enabled you will not be able to get your ethernet to show as en0 and will not be able to use the appstore and software updates. If you have CPUID enabled you will get kernel panics constantly and will not boot.  I used the software myhack to make my OSX86 install media  the install media since I am using a hd6670 ATI GPU so i have to move my ati600controller.kext from /s/l/e to /extra. For the SAS Controller use  the attached AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext place it in /s/l/e/. As far as SATA goes i am not sure if this will work on the installer disk but using a -f tends to show all devices I was able to install mine to the SAS and run these commands to get my sata devices working after install.  

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS sudo mv IOAHCIBlockStorage IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig sudo cp IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig IOAHCIBlockStorage sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x4a\x00\x00\xeb\x03|\x8b\x4a\x00\x00\xe8\x01|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x0e\x48\x8d\x3d\x72\x92\x00\x00|\xbf\xc8\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90\x90\x90|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

For the sound and network to work use the attached files after you install everything.  Also attached is a copy of my /Extra folder you may not need all the stuff in it but it should help you get most everything sorted out.

Well be a day or 2 for the files as I am out of town

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well I finally got an install on my 690. This has to be the ugliest install I have ever done. I got iAtkos 10.6.3 installed on the IDE drive, added the modified LSI SAS kext and my SAS showed up. I then cloned the drive to the SAS Drive and installed the bootloader and am able to boot to the clone drive. I have updated it to 10.6.8 and repaired all permissions and a roll back of the usb to 10.6.2 to get the usb working. I would like to be able to get my sata ports working before I move forward any more as well as my graphics card. I have a Quadro 400 installed and the graphics are the basic set up with no ability to change the resolution and the card shows up as an unknown  nividia 14MB ????. 

WORKING: audio (via voodoo) ethernet (Via modded bcm5722d kext)SAS (no raid via modded LSI kext) 

not working: video (no qe/ci) SATA ports and sleep(who cares?)

Looking to jump up to mavericks on next step but The system cannot do a "clean" install as there is no way that I have found to do this as of now. Any one have any ideas? on how to get my video and sata up to speed?