macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

@ C-cube

I am really disappointed with dell, I will start comparing the code of A.12 and A.17, hope we find some scope. By the way Do u have the A.12 bios.exe app ? Dell removed it from support page.

Hi Mahesh - glad to hear sleep is working again for you! Any chance you'll still find some time to compare these as I'm unable to use the GT555m with A.12?

Justin

As far as i know A.12 works flawlessly only on XPS 17 with i7 2630 QM, for i7 2670 QM u either need A.14 or A.16 or A.17. Anyways i will definitely try to find whats that so unique to A.12 BIOS.

As far as i know A.12 works flawlessly only on XPS 17 with i7 2630 QM, for i7 2670 QM u either need A.14 or A.16 or A.17. Anyways i will definitely try to find whats that so unique to A.12 BIOS.

!

I have the 2670QM so that makes sense!

Much appreciated Mahesh!

Hi,

Thank you Mahesh for this great guide!

I followed your instructions and now have a working Lion 10.7.3 on my brand new XPS 15 (2670QM) :-)

Still, there are two minor issues that prevent me from having a perfect hackintosh.

First, to get WiFi working despite the lack of Intel Wireless support, I decided to buy a cheap USB WiFi dongle.

I read that a lot of users had success with the DLINK DWA-121 using Realtek Lion drivers, so I bought this one.

Unfortunately I can't get it to work, WiFi stays unavailable, it looks like the dongle is not detected at all.

I tried a few different drivers with no luck.

Sometimes it hangs on startup and I have to remove the dongle and reboot, sometimes nothing happens at all.

The second issue is that my iPhone is not showing up either when I plug it.

I can tell that something happens when I connect it on USB, because iTunes freezes and the whole system becomes really sluggish.

The WiFi dongle and the iPhone being both connected on USB, I was wondering if these two issues might be related to a more generic USB driver issue?

Has anyone encountered issues when plugging an iPhone or other USB devices?

I tried with a simple USB key and it worked perfectly, so this might be a wrong lead...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Herve

@ Marcassin

Yes what u said is right, the problem seems to be from usb. Which DSDT are u using ? the one provided in kexts pack is A.12. And one more suggestion stick with 10.7.2, as 10.7.3 is unstable as hell with conflicts and kernel panics. So go for a fresh installation and use the appropriate DSDT resembling ur bios (I mean either use A.16 or A.17, scrap A.14).

@ Marcassin

Yes what u said is right, the problem seems to be from usb. Which DSDT are u using ? the one provided in kexts pack is A.12. And one more suggestion stick with 10.7.2, as 10.7.3 is unstable as hell with conflicts and kernel panics. So go for a fresh installation and use the appropriate DSDT resembling us bios (I mean either use A.16 or A.17, scrap A.14).

Actually I'm still on 10.7.2, I made a mistake in my previous post!

The DSDT I'm using is the one you made for A.17 (linked to your first post), but my bios is A.10 because I'm on a L502x, not l702x.

A.10 is the latest bios for l502x.

Should I try another one? Maybe one made specifically for l502x?

Or should I try to build one by myself (not sure I'll be able to do it but I can try).

Ah thats the cause of problem, u cant use L702x DSDT on L502x.

Just create or generate ur own system specific DSDT using DSDT extraction method from win 7, check the first page where i posted info on extracting & generating one's own DSDT.

If ur a newbie dont know how to extract and patch DSDT, there's one alternate way check this link http://dl.dropbox.co...02x-Lion_v6.zip, download this package ( all credits to doix). Run this package and deselect all options except for the DSDT and select i7 DSDT ( as u have i7 2670 QM) and install, it automatically install's the DSDT. As this DSDT is more specific to L502x it might solve ur usb problems. If u have any queries post them in this thread or topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257950&st=200&p=1759951&&do=findComment&comment=1759951

If ur a newbie dont know how to extract and patch DSDT, there's one alternate way check this link http://dl.dropbox.co...02x-Lion_v6.zip, download this package ( all credits to doix). Run this package and deselect all options except for the DSDT and select i7 DSDT ( as u have i7 2670 QM) and install, it automatically install's the DSDT. As this DSDT is more specific to L502x it might solve ur usb problems. If u have any queries post them in this thread or topic http://www.insanelym...1

I extracted and patched DSDT but it crashes at boot time.

My own DSDT is 293kB while yours is only 38kB, I don't know why.

I'm gonna try the alternate way, thanks.

I am getting a boot0: error any ideas?

Also sound is not working.

I installed the kexts from the dell pack and using the dsdt file from John L for the core i5

Specs

Dell Xps 17 L702X

Core i5-2450m @2.5ghz

6gb ram

Intel HD Graphcis and NVIDA Geforce GT550M

Bios A16

Installing to Same drive Win7 is on, with its own partition in HFS+

Installed MacDrive 8 & 9 but can't see the HFS partition

Edited by Chrisemtpa

I've followed this as best I could numerous times and I'm still having difficulties...

Let's start off with specifications:

Dell XPS 17 L702X (named Ganymede), A17 BIOS

Core i7-2720QM CPU, 16GB RAM,

2x 750GB HDD (first is partitioned to Windows NTFS (Io), then there's that little recovery partition) (second has a large chunk to Windows NTFS (Europa), and then a smaller 54GB Mac HFS+ (Callisto)

NVIDIA GeForce GT555M w/ 3D (I've not heard the term Optimus until I started trying to install OSX, and wasn't even aware of the HD3000 Intel chip inside.)

So basically, I've had a few different tries and got different things working at different times. I was able to put in an Artheros wifi chip, so there's no internet issues... I wasn't sure which DSDT/SSDT to use.

I'm using Windows 8, and it seems like it's totally dominating any Chameleon set up I'm trying to do, so I keep having to boot from the iAtkos L2 disk and then selecting Callisto (Mac partition). And also, MacDrive's incompatible with Windows 8 so I'm having to use Paragon, which is a little sketchy.

On one install I got audio to work (I think using the original poster's DSDT.)

I was only once able to get it to go to full 1920x1080 (with an Nvidia driver, showing up as a GT440m i thinkkkk...), though everything was quite slow and laggy, no hardware acceleration. No videos were even able to play. I then tried doing the Apple update to 10.7.3, and then that botched everything all up again spewing kernel panics upon boot.

I was wondering if there's a specific solution given the i7-2720QM, the A17 BIOS, the GT555M, etc.

I'm about to do another complete reformat and reinstall using the L2 disc. I've got all the attachments from the original poster. I can't be too far off, can I? After all that I'd like to hopefully be able to update to 10.7.3.

(really, really sorry for this jumbled up message, I've been spending my entire spring break trying to get this going and sleep hasn't quite been on my mind hahaha. Any help would be greatly appreciated!)

Furthering my previous post, this is what System Profiler shows under Graphics/Displays:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 5 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0dcd

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Resolution should be 1920x1080 and VRAM should show 3GB as far as I know.

By the way, I didn't think there was a difference in the systems, but this IS a 3D display system.

@Mahesh, I was wondering if you could do something for me, Id like to disable the nvidia card to extend battery life, I tried doing this

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2586

by adding the lines they say to add to DSDT but get compile errors, Im not very familiar with DSDT so I didnt know how to correct it, could I possibly get you to mod your DSDT to disable Optimus if you have the time to do it?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Jon,

i heard that 10.7.3 is unstable with kernel panics. If u feel like updating, give it a try. After successfully updating to 10.7.3 dont restart, force quit the installer. Delete the kernelcache, delete all unneccessary graphics kexts except for intel hd 3000 and then install all the 10.7.2 kexts from my kext pack.Make sure that new kerelcache is generated and then restart. And do update to the latest available chameleon bootloader to avoid any problems.

Cheers,

Mahesh

• Like 1

Hi Mahesh,

first of all I want to say thank you! You was made my wish come true to run Mac OS on my Notebook, really great work! Everything descriped works!

Here my configuration:

XPS 702X Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

i7-2670QM @ 2.2GHZ

6GB RAM

No 3D

Bios A17

By following the whole topic only a few questions are still open, I hope you have the time to answear them.

1. Can I get HDMI out with a normal minidisplayport to HDMI Adapter like this MiniDisplayPort HDMI Adapter (clear that the build in HDMI out is linked to the GeForce and for this there is no way)

2. Is there a chance to get the Sleep Mode running with the A17 BIOS, I also get the black screen at wake up

3. Is the GeForce Graphiccard completely disabled by the DSDT while running Mac OS X or is it still active and drains energy?

Many thanks in advance!!

Hello Everyone,

Just some cross topic info for folks interested in Windows 7 SP1 Lite 32 Bit & 64 Bit, just check this thread & forum. They are seriously lite & fast Windows 7 SP1 versions. check them out.

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit http://retestrak.nl/...o-7-sp1-64-bit/

Windows 7 SP1 32 Bit http://retestrak.nl/...o-7-sp1-32-bit/

Windows 8 Beta or Consumer Preview Lite 64 Bit http://retestrak.nl/...-8-beta-64-bit/

Enjoy my Stripped down Windows 7, hope u like it.

cheers,

Mahesh

Hi Schattenzwerg,

Here are the Answers for ur questions.

1. I am not 100% sure whether u can get minidisplayport to HDMI adaptor to work, but i heard that it works with MacBookPro 8.1 Smbios where as we are using MacBookPro 8.3 smbios. If ur willing to test the minidisplayport to HDMI adaptor then i will make one MacBookPro 8.1 smbios for u. Even i am planning to buy a cheap MiniDisplayport to HDMI adaptor from ebay. Hopefully it should work.

2. No As of now A.12 is the only bios where wake works 100 %, but A.12 is not down gradable on XPS 17 with 2670 QM processors. So as of now there is no solution for Sleep on XPS 17 i7 2670 QM processor Laptop.

3. Yes the Nvidia GT 550 M or 555 M ( depends on ur configuration) is active with this DSDT, i havent disabled Nvidia Card. As i dont know how to do it. There are many people saying that they have successfully disabled Nvidia card but lets wait for some more time, so that we can have some concrete evidence on how to disable Nvidia card. As of now i am not interested in playing with my Nvidia card in DSDT, if something goes wrong then it might lead to a dead graphics card. So i dont want to experiment as of now, unless & until some one comes with a good guide on how to disable the Nvidia card. if u have found any resources on how to disable Nvidia card please forward those links to me, i will have a look.

cheers,

Mahesh

Looking for some help. I was able to install Iatkos L2 installed all the kexts and chameleon boot loader, but I am unable to boot to osx. The hard drive is in 5 partitions, 1-is dell utilities-Fat16, 2-win7 recovery-NTFS, 3-Win7OS NTFS, 4-Lion-OS Extended Journal 5-FileStg-fat32. The hard drive is formatted as MasterBootRecord. I keep getting a bootmgr: missing. Will I need to reformat the hard drive and repartition it to something else? I don't often use Win7 as a matter fact only used it to delete the kext files and stuff. I have formatted the NTFS drives to Extended Journal. Any ideas I currently use the iatkos dvd to boot.

Looking for some help. I was able to install Iatkos L2 installed all the kexts and chameleon boot loader, but I am unable to boot to osx. The hard drive is in 5 partitions, 1-is dell utilities-Fat16, 2-win7 recovery-NTFS, 3-Win7OS NTFS, 4-Lion-OS Extended Journal 5-FileStg-fat32. The hard drive is formatted as MasterBootRecord. I keep getting a bootmgr: missing. Will I need to reformat the hard drive and repartition it to something else? I don't often use Win7 as a matter fact only used it to delete the kext files and stuff. I have formatted the NTFS drives to Extended Journal. Any ideas I currently use the iatkos dvd to boot.

Hi Chrisemtpa,

I had the same problem, as solution I deleted the Dell Utilities & Win7 Recovery Partition, I moved my Win7 Partition at position 1 and the HTFS+ Partition at Position 2. Before this I created a Win7 recovery CD from my Windows. I did all operations on partitions with Gparted-USB-Boot Stick. After GParted finished, I repaired my Boot Informations with the recorvery CD. At this time my Windows Booted again and was in normal state. Then I started the iATKOS Installation again and followed the Guide here. The Camelon Bootloader worked afterwards without problems. In the iATKOS Guide you will find the information that your Win7 and MacOS X Partion must be one of the first 3 partitions, maybe there is a workaround or other solution, but this worked for me.

Hi Christempa,

Just make sure the hard drive is in MBR format not GUID. I recommend you to install windows 7 & Mac os x on the same hard drive and remove all other recovery partitions. If ur inetrested in a clean install then first install windows 7 to the first partition and Mac os Extended (Journaled) foramtted second partition and always install the latest available chameleon bootloader ( Just install bootloader with default setting dont customize it). Hope this solves ur boot problem.

Ok guys i will not be available for good 3 to 4 weeks, as i will be on a holiday to LA. So if any one has any queries please help each other.

Cheers,

Mahesh

Hi Christempa,

Just make sure the hard drive is in MBR format not GUID. I recommend you to install windows 7 & Mac os x on the same hard drive and remove all other recovery partitions. If ur inetrested in a clean install then first install windows 7 to the first partition and Mac os Extended (Journaled) foramtted second partition and always install the latest available chameleon bootloader ( Just install bootloader with default setting dont customize it). Hope this solves ur boot problem.

Ok guys i will not be available for good 3 to 4 weeks, as i will be on a holiday to LA. So if any one has any queries please help each other.

Cheers,

Mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

I wish you a good stay in LA, I hope I can get tomorrow my Minidisplayport to HDMI Adapter and then I will feedback to you if it will wok OOB.

For all others that want have WiFi and already have a iPhone (Jailbroken), I can recommend to you tu try PDANet, with that Application on Mac and iPhone you can use your iPhone as a WiFi Adapter over the USB-Cable. For me it seems to work very good for now. I even have the possibility to connect my IPad2 to my iPhone in HotSpot mode and serve the web by this :)

Hi Schattenzwerg,

Here are the Answers for ur questions.

1. I am not 100% sure whether u can get minidisplayport to HDMI adaptor to work, but i heard that it works with MacBookPro 8.1 Smbios where as we are using MacBookPro 8.3 smbios. If ur willing to test the minidisplayport to HDMI adaptor then i will make one MacBookPro 8.1 smbios for u. Even i am planning to buy a cheap MiniDisplayport to HDMI adaptor from ebay. Hopefully it should work.

2. No As of now A.12 is the only bios where wake works 100 %, but A.12 is not down gradable on XPS 17 with 2670 QM processors. So as of now there is no solution for Sleep on XPS 17 i7 2670 QM processor Laptop.

3. Yes the Nvidia GT 550 M or 555 M ( depends on ur configuration) is active with this DSDT, i havent disabled Nvidia Card. As i dont know how to do it. There are many people saying that they have successfully disabled Nvidia card but lets wait for some more time, so that we can have some concrete evidence on how to disable Nvidia card. As of now i am not interested in playing with my Nvidia card in DSDT, if something goes wrong then it might lead to a dead graphics card. So i dont want to experiment as of now, unless & until some one comes with a good guide on how to disable the Nvidia card. if u have found any resources on how to disable Nvidia card please forward those links to me, i will have a look.

cheers,

Mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

I bought know a minidisplayport to hdmi adapter, oob it doesnt work, proberly because of the missing Macbook 8.1 smbios. As soon you can provide me some new files I will test it again.