Sapphire 6870HD random freezing

Bansaku

2 posts in this topic

I recently upgraded my Sapphire 5770HD to a Sapphire 6870HD. Based on many readers feedback and several OSX86 sites recommending the 6870HD I thought purchasing the card would be a safe bet. Overall I am quite happy with the performance (both in OS X and W7) with one exception...

Periodically, and by that I have found no real "cause", the system will hang; the BG processes are still running (i.e. iTunes still plays, and files continue to d/l) but the desktop will freeze, only being able to move the mouse pointer. Sometimes the system freezes when opening a window, both Finder, and (launching) iApps, never by any 3rd party software (like WoW, Cinebench, PS3MS, or Vuze).

My System specs are in my sig.

Latest Cameleon v2.1svn r1730 bootloader

Graphicsenabler=y

AtiConfig=Duckweed

bdmesg:

ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space

Framebuffer set to device's default: Duckweed

Nr of ports set to framebuffer's default: 4

ATI Barts AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series 1024MB (Duckweed) [1002:6738] (subsys [174b:174b]):: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Any ideas how to remedy my problem? I have tried using AtiConfig=Bulrushes however that just causes the system to hang and crash on the grey screen before the desktop appears. I know a lot of you awesome folks out there are happily using a Sapphire 6870HD without issues. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: removing GraphicsConfig=yes from my boot.plist solved the hang on grey screen using Bulrushes (blonde moment if ya think about it). Steam works and GB doesn't crash, DVD player does (who cares), Cinebench reports 2fps better, but SP reports card as 6xxx (expected). I will report back to see if the screen freezing is cured.

• 3 months later...

I Have the same Issue.

Random Freezes, I'm not actually using any specific data like Aitconfig (just get it out of the Box).

I'm using the iAtkus boot loader because if I try to install EasyBcd via ###### (the latest) the monitor shutdown while should load the Desktop (using DVI n.1).

Let me know if you solved that issue.