Geforce GTX 560 Ti 448 on Lion

mauga

31 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I'm currently looking for the right grapics card for my new Lion Hackintosh. I firstly thought of a Geforce GTX 560 Ti for which I have already found some guides to make it work.

But now I came across the newly released GTX 560 Ti 448 cores version, does anybody already have experience with that card type?

I haven't found anything so far, or can I generally assume that the GTX 560 Ti 448 will work, because a normal GTX 560 Ti also seems to work?

Thanks,

Max

... can I generally assume that the GTX 560 Ti 448 will work, because a normal GTX 560 Ti also seems to work?

I got that card since 4 days and can say it does not work out of the box, as the PCI ID of this card is neither known to Lion nor to Chameleon.

I created a request to add it to chameleon by default (thats the easy part). Also, it seems we need to patch the NVDAGF100Hal.kext to get the PCI Device ID registered with this driver. I test that soon.

I created a request to add it to chameleon by default (thats the easy part). Also, it seems we need to patch the NVDAGF100Hal.kext to get the PCI Device ID registered with this driver. I test that soon.

Thx for the answer, sounds quite positive. As I mentioned at the beginning, I'm just before to purchase all my components. Is it possible to make a prediction about if this card definitely will work some day or how long this will take? If so, I would take this card in expectance to make it run later on.

Card is working here with QE/CI enabled!

This is how I made it running:

- Download Chameleon Rev. 1726 from http://www.insanelym...pic=231075&st=0 and install it

(ErmaC has kindly added my Palit's PCI-ID to nvidia.c. See http://forge.voodoop...eon/issues/206/ for details on that.)

- Add the device id of the graphics card to /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAGF100Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist file "IOPCIPrimaryMatch" section:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>

0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0dc010de&0xffc0ffff

0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0ee010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0f0010de&0xffc0ffff

0x104010de&0xffc0ffff

0x124010de&0xffc0ffff

0x108710de&0xffc0ffff

</string>

- Set GraphicsEnabler to Yes in /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist. Here is mine:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>default</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Wait</key>

<string>No</string>

</dict>

</plist>

- reboot

Note: I got 2 displays connected by DVI ports, each.

• Like 2

Wow, thanks, seems to work quite straight forward!

One problem, I actually thougt about to buy the Zotac GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448, will it work too based on your description?

I guess therefore another PCI-ID for Zotac would have to be added to chameleon right?

I guess therefore another PCI-ID for Zotac would have to be added to chameleon right?

I don't think that the Vendor/Device ID changes, as 10de is NVIDIA. One thing which could cause a little work is the output configuration, as for the 560ti-448 there is no NVIDIA standard hardware design available, so every vendor cooks it's own soup.

One thing I need to resolve is picture corruption after awaking from sleep.

Good to see people working on this already. I just ordered a MSI N560GTX-Ti 448 card from Amazon, and hope to get it running in my hack Pro 4.1 without too much drama. Its currently running a GTX460.

<edit>

It arrived, it works. Using Chimera 1.7 bootloader, with amendment to

NVDAGF100Hal.kext (info.plist) as described by Atomic999 above. Only problem is machine no longer reboots or shuts down completely.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti 448 working with this method. I even had QE/CI during the install, which is a first. As for the shutdown, reboot, sleep and wake, they all seem to be working great for me. I'm using the rev1726 Chameleon bootloader, with the patched NVDAGF100Hal.kext/Info.plist. and my org.chameleon.boot.plist goes like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu </key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I believe the npci flag is for the 64bit kernel, but it might be worth trying to set the darkwake flag to see if that helps with shutdown/reboot.

• 1 month later...

Got it working when adding device id to NVDAGF100Hal.kext, patching GeForceGLDriver and libclh.dylib but graphics driver crashes after a while.

I then reverted everything and just added the device Id to NVDAGF100Hal.kext, but on the first position and not as the last one.

With this, it works.

QE/CI seems not to be enabled. I also added a section to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement (AGPM) plist.info file for my device, but this does' t change the QE/CI problem.

So currently I have:

NVDAGF100Hal.kext:

<string>
 0x108710de&0xffc0ffff
 0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff
 0x0dc010de&0xffc0ffff
 0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff
 0x0ee010de&0xffe0ffff
 0x0f0010de&0xffc0ffff
 0x104010de&0xffc0ffff
 0x124010de&0xffc0ffff
</string>

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement:

<!-- Added in MacPro4,1 section above <key>default-control-id</key> -->
<key>Vendor10deDevice1087</key>
 <dict>
  <key>Heuristic</key>
  <dict>
 <key>ID</key>
 <integer>0</integer>
 <key>IdleInterval</key>
 <integer>500</integer>
 <key>SensorOption</key>
 <integer>1</integer>
 <key>TargetCount</key>
 <integer>5</integer>
 <key>Threshold_High</key>
 <array>
  <integer>70</integer>
  <integer>95</integer>
  <integer>110</integer>
  <integer>190</integer>
 </array>
 <key>Threshold_Low</key>
 <array>
  <integer>0</integer>
  <integer>60</integer>
  <integer>90</integer>
  <integer>190</integer>
 </array>
  </dict>
  <key>control-id</key>
  <integer>18</integer>
  <key>LogControl</key>
  <integer>1</integer>
</dict>

Card worked flawlessly in 10.7.2 by just adding my pci id to NVDAGF100Hal.kext, but it seems with 10.7.3 it is more complicated.

Any idea?

Got my 560TI-448 working with 10.7.3 and enabled QE/CI with OpenGL Support.

- If you want full QE/CE and OpenGL Support, download http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2369 install in /System/Library/Extensions (backup the original drivers, first) and add the device ID

0x108710de&0xffffffff

to the Info.plist file of NVDAGF100Hal.kext so it reads:

<string>
							0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff
							0x0dc010de&0xffc0ffff
							0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff
							0x0ee010de&0xffe0ffff
							0x0f0010de&0xffc0ffff
							0x104010de&0xffc0ffff
							0x124010de&0xffc0ffff
							0x108010de&0xffffffff
							0x108110de&0xffffffff
							0x108610de&0xffffffff
							0x108710de&0xffffffff
							0x108810de&0xffffffff
							0x108b10de&0xffffffff
							0x120010de&0xffffffff
							0x120110de&0xffffffff
					</string>

Take care of any xattrs set by Safari. Remove them.

So a complete backup/install instruction could be like this:

sudo bash
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
tar zcvf GeForceGLDriver.bundle_10.7.3_org.tar.gz GeForceGLDriver.bundle
tar zcvf NVDAGF100Hal.kext_10.7.3_org.tar.gz NVDAGF100Hal.kext
cp -r ~/Download/NVD_GTX/* .
chown -R root:wheel NVDAGF100Hal.kext
chmod -R 755 NVDAGF100Hal.kext
chown -R root:wheel GeForceGLDriver.bundle
chmod -R 755 GeForceGLDriver.bundle
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine NVDAGF100Hal.kext
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine GeForceGLDriver.bundle
xattr -rd com.apple.FinderInfo NVDAGF100Hal.kext
xattr -rd com.apple.FinderInfo GeForceGLDriver.bundle
xattr -l NVDAGF100Hal.kext   # must be empty
xattr -l GeForceGLDriver.bundle # must be empty

If you just want QE/CI, it might be enough to add the device id mentioned above to the Info.plist file of the original NVDAGF100Hal.kext driver and reboot.

So the device Id I stated in my first post does NOT work in 10.7.3. You must use the one stated in this post.

Another thing: Do not forget to set "GraphicsEnabler = yes" in org.chameleon.boot.plist.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this thread! I got a single GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores up and running in Lion very quickly using the guidance here.

Also, I have two of these video cards and I got them both working fine in Lion with minimal effort. Used the instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=274614

This edit is just for anyone else looking to get a pair of GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores working together in Lion (even have the SLI bridge attached, as my system is a dual boot between Windows 7 and Lion and I play games in Windows 7).

Edited by RhunDraco

• 4 weeks later...

Still have screen corruption after wake from sleep, here. Must remotely reboot or reset to get machine running. Screen first looks ok, but as soon as I move the mouse, there are blocks of corrupted and duplicated areas on the screen.

As I get a MacPro today and I want to use this card in this machine, it will be interesting to see if I got the same problem there.

@Atomic999 - Does your Cuda work on your Palit 560 Ti 448?

I've got dual dvi and open cl working on Lion but no Cuda. I even tried with 2 graphics cards in the machine, Cuda-z picks up my 9800GT but reports the 560Ti as 'Device Emulation CPU'

Neither Blender 3D or Davinci Resolve can find the 560Ti either.

NVIDIA releases new drivers!

560TI448 is supported out of the box.

It also Support Geforce 580.

As I yesterday switched to a MacPro, I use the GF560TI448 together with the original GF120 Card in this machine, installed the NVIDIA driver and wupp! It just works.

On a Hackintosh, you need to set GraphicEnabler=y in chameleon plist.

http://netkas.org/?p=1059

• 2 weeks later...
Got my 560TI-448 working with 10.7.3 and enabled QE/CI with OpenGL Support.

I try to achieve this for more than two days, but it simply does not work.

First I made exactly all changes you described in post #2 -> fail

Second I made exactly all changes you described in post #12 -> fail

"Fail" means that I get a black screen after the boot process before entering the desktop. My monitor just show the "no signal" message.

I am at my wit's end! I read hundreds of posts about getting the graphics working.

Does anybody has an idea?

Update (of course just some minutes after writing this post...)!

It does not work with HDMI. With VGA/DVI does it work.

So, how to make it working with HDMI?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Zotac Geforce 560 Ti and Lion 10.7.3 does NOT recognized my card at all. Edited the info.plist file in

NVDAGF100Hal.kext, installed latest CUDA driver, etc. already. About MAC still showing Nvidia video card. No CUDA, no OPENCL support....

For OpenCL + Fermi you must normally patch the geforce driver.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=266318

Do you have QE/CI working? Or OpenGL (in hardware , not Software Apple mode, check it with OpenGLExtensionsViewer)?

If not perhaps your GPU devID isnt included in the bootloader version you use for graphicsenabler=yes.

Mitch, thank you for the advice. I finally got the system to detect my video card correctly by deleting the Natil.kext file in S/L/Extensions and then installing the 5XX enabler. No video file, no youtube video were playable prior to this because the system was not detecting the video card correctly. Now it's all good. Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

My 560TI 448 is driving me bonkers. I have it attached to a 1920x1080 monitor via HDMI, and the only resolution I have available is 1280x1024.

Using Enoch v1975 (Nvidia-enabling branch of chameleon), graphicsenabler=yes, did Netkas' 2 hexedits of GeForceGLDriver, under 10.7.4.

I don't think openGL is working though, as TF2 refuses to run (no drivers reported), and openGLextensionsviewer only reports a software renderer.

About this Mac -->

GeForce GTX 560 Ti-448:

Chipset Model: GeForce GTX 560 Ti-448

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1280 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x1087

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 70.10.61.00.02

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

That would look like its working, but its not....

anyone have any ideas??

EDIT: I just connected my old DVI 1680x1050 monitor, and I still get only 1280x1024 with 'detect displays' not doing anything. So I don't think HDMI is the issue here, just some sort of failure to completely recognize & make use of the video card.

EDIT2: Wow! I replaced enoch with vanilla chameleon (probably has nothing to do with it) and ran ####### Nvidia 5XX support enabler, which in addition to Netkas' openCL fixes has some other fixes (System/Library/Extensions/NVDAGF100Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist is patched using MacMan's research.) I now have full 1080p over HDMI!! Yay. Problem with Overscan now, as the desktop is somehow bigger than the screen with overscanning checked, when unchecked it's a bit smaller than the screen. Still, big, big, progress