This is not for the inexperienced, or anyone who can’t work though problems by themselves, as you will no doubt encounter them. Please do not do this if this is your first hackintosh.
Currently looking for someone who can fix up the DSDT and fix the remaining problems. If you think you can help, ioreg dumps and the current DSDT can be found in the pack. Any help or fixes would be much appreciated.
What works fully:
- Display (using ugly DSDT patches)
- Graphics (full QE/CI and resolution)
- USB (USB3 port doesn't work, probably never will)
- Sound (uses voodooHDA, would rather patch appleHDA. Please post if you have info for an ALC275)
- Ethernet (Using lnx2mac RTL81XX kext)
- Battery (Using voodooBattery, unsure what dsdt mods are needed for native)
- Power button
What works partially:
- Power management - Works enough for sleep, and changes states, but still runs much hotter than windows, and notably noisier. Fix lies in a custom SSDT or some dsdt mods for sony’s power management options. Also, both graphics cards seem to be loaded, but unsure if this is a problem, or the cause.
- Trackpad - Works only as a PS2 mouse, and seems very particular about which kexts it likes.
What doesn't work:
- Wifi - Intel wireless will never work on mac. I suggest an ATHEROS AR9287, super cheap on ebay, and works with dsdt edits.
- Bluetooth - Didn't work oob. haven't looked at it since.
- Graphics switching - probably will never work.
- Random kernel panics on boot often. Some are linked to GFX, some to CPUPM, and some don't have any kexts involved, just cpu panics. Strange. Need a DSDT master to check out his one.
- Wifi needs to be turned on manually on boot. needs a DSDT fix, I know what to put, but not where to put it so it runs on boot.
What you will need:
- A usb prepared with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], laptop support enabled
- The latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]
- This pack
- Time (lots)
- Patience (even more)
- The latest combo update (10.7.2)
First the included dsdt needs to be edited. For whatever reason, Mac OS can’t detect the internal display without manually injecting its information, known as the EDID. This needs to be dumped from windows, and then added to the dsdt. To do this, you can use "moninfo" from the pack. Run this, and the raw hex data will be displayed at the bottom of the report. This information needs to be added to the dsdt, in the device GFX0. You can edit the DSDT provided with “DSDTEditor” by mald0n. Before this data can be inserted, it must be prepared by inserting “0x” before each hex digit. Look device (GFX0) in the existing DSDT, and it is clear where the data should go.
The existing data may work if you have the 1600x900 screen. Otherwise, you will need to edit it with your own.
The completed DSDT needs to go in the /Extra folder of the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] usb.
Now you need to install the “advanced mode” bios. This can be done by running the included bios updater. Providing you do not pull the power during the update, this update has no chance of damaging your laptop. However, some of the options it enables might. Use with caution.
In the bios, using the new options, we must enable AHCI mode on the IDE controller. Otherwise you will get the dreaded “waiting for root device” on boot.
That’s it for preparation, now for installing!
This part is pretty straightforward. Boot off the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] USB. Select the USB in the chameleon menu, and let it boot. If it kernel panics, try again. It should eventually boot (At this point, it has a pretty high booting success rate). The installation will need a whole HDD. You can format one correctly with “Disk Utility”, an option in the menu bar when preparing to install. I have a dual boot set up, but I will not instruct you how to do this. When the install has finished, it will reboot automatically. Booting from the USB again, this time select the disk you installed to.
The first boot wizard will run, and demand you insert a USB keyboard. You need to do this, even just for a second, to proceed. After you get that screen to go away, you will not need one again. You might however need a USB mouse, as the trackpad might not be working. It seems to randomly decide if it wants to work with the apple kexts. This can be fixed with the included kexts later.
Congratulations, lion is installed and somewhat functional!
This is still somewhat WIP. Once you get to the desktop, run the latest combo update, and update, but don’t reboot. copy the DSDT to the desktop. You can now install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. You will need to find and select:
· User DSDT
· USB Rollback
· The latest VoodooHDA
· The lnx2Mac Realtek Ethernet kext
· MacBookPro8,1 smbios.plist
· (optional) nullcpupowermanagement (though power management does sort of work, this improves stability at the moment, at the cost of heat and noise). If you select this, you will need to select Sleepenabler and EvoReboot as well
· (optional) FakeSMC plugins
· (optional, but recommended) Kext utility and Show All Files. We will need a kext installer soon.
After [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] installation, drag all the kexts from the pack onto kext utility to install them.
Now, reboot, and prey. Booting of a GPT disk is somewhat funny. I have an odd setup, using easyBCD to install neogrub onto my windows HDD, and then configuring neogrub to chainload chameleon on the mac HDD. The alternative is downloading modified files for a mbr installation, which should work just fine. I can post more details on this if needed.
Now lion should be running, and functionalish. Please post if you have any problems or questions, and I would appreciate the aid of anyone who has the DSDT editing knowledge to work out the problems that stop this becoming my main OS on this laptop.
I may have missed some things. If something just doesn't work for you, then please ask.
Thanks to everyone who has allowed me to get this far, developers, dsdt hackers, I love you guys!