• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

blibbler

blibbler

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have mostly successfully installed 10.6.7 on a fairly new HP 210-3000 with an Atom N570 (dual core with multithreading). In case anyone wants to do something similar, I'll set out what I did:

For the most part, I followed the same instructions for installing it on a HP 110 at:
http://www.mymacnetb...110-3710-guide/

Before I did that, however, I used gparted to create a new HFS partition (so I could leave windows installed in case I needed it). I also tried to install various other versions of OSX without success (I'm not saying other versions cannot be installed, just I spent many hours installing and re-installing without success).

I was forced to vary slightly from the above instructions to get things working on the 210:
  • USB in 10.6.3 - unlike in the instructions above, 10.6.3 recognised the 210's USB, which meant I didn't have to fiddle around in windows to download the appropriate drivers and updates;
  • Netbook Installer failed - when I tried to use Netbook Installer on my 10.6.7 system, it inevitably screwed it up. In the end, Netbook Installer wasn't going to provide much, so I avoided that last step.
  • No USB in 10.6.7 - One thing Netbook Installer would have done is to re-enable USB under 10.6.7. Instead I used #####'s USB restore function.
  • My 210 has an Atheros AR9285 wifi card, and drivers exist for it! Unfortunately I went through several before I found one that worked. In the end, the next from this package got me online: http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=1279. After installing the kext, I had some trouble connecting to my network, the fix was to change my wifi from mixed, to just 802.11G. After that, it has worked fine.

So I now have a HP mini 210 running a (mostly) working 10.6.7. Unfortunately many things are far from perfect. My netbook still experiences the following limitations:
  • No control over sound volume - while I have sound, it is impossible to turn the sound down, or even mute it;
  • No control over screen brightness;
  • No control over power use (this and the previous point mean that my 210 has an OSX battery life of 5 hours, rather than the 10 hours it gets under windows);
  • The trackpad is functional, but overly sensitive, and doesn't support scrolling; and
  • No sleep or hibernate.
I understand that most of these fixes probably require diving into DSDT. I cannot seem to get my head around DSDT at all. I also see that it relates to the computer's BIOS, and get very afraid of causing permanent damage.

I hope this will help someone, and I would appreciate any help or suggestions to resolve the last few limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy