Noob with a Question

gsusx

3 posts in this topic

Hi

Please be gentle with me. I've tried hackintoshes (is that even a word) in the past before, various combo's of Motherboards, CPU's and Graphics cards. And I've got them working to a point but never to the point i've wanted them :D

For example my last attempt ended with me on my hands and knees at my two monitors begging for mercy :( I couldn't get dual screen to work no matter what, resolution stuck at 1024x768 only vga worked and no quartz qi etc.

(Zotac 8400gs, snow leopard)

I really want to strt using a mac, and ive even looked into the idea of a mac mini but the problem i have with that is that i have a couple of additional hdd's i'd need working and im not sure usb caddies are the way forward for this particular system

So my question is this

Has anyone here, in this most wonderful of forums ever got Lion OSX running on 2 screens (not mirrored) and if you have, can you please tell me what components you used for it. Because as it is, I look through the many lists of compatible hardware and im scared im gonig to do what i did a year ago and spend 300 pounds on mb, cpu, gfx card and have the same many months of frustration where i just cant get it working ???

If so please please please can you let me in on it .....

Thank you all so much for your help

CJ

Has anyone here, in this most wonderful of forums ever got Lion OSX running on 2 screens (not mirrored) and if you have, can you please tell me what components you used for it. Because as it is, I look through the many lists of compatible hardware and im scared im gonig to do what i did a year ago and spend 300 pounds on mb, cpu, gfx card and have the same many months of frustration where i just cant get it working ???

CJ,

Lion will indeed work on a hack on multiple monitor setups but you will have to do some research depending on what displays you have and how you intend to connect them - for example there are various ATi cards that will happily handle dual displays (even if they support 5 or 6 displays in windows does not mean they will do the same in Lion or snow leopard) however even with those cards there are some weird restrictions - you cant run 2 dvi displays or if you do you cant get full acceleration, or you can run one dvi and one mdp to dvi - the complications are vast so research whichever card you have or intend to buy, how you intend to connect it to your multiple displays etc BEFORE youi spend any money.

I've been where you have been, at the cross roads of Hackintosh or a genuine mac, and I have to say it all comes down to what kind of user are you? do you wanna spend months working and tweaking a hackintosh so that it works at 95% like a mac, or do you want a 100% functional mac and build and create great things with it. Hackintosh is a hobby, just for the fun of tinkering. there are some hackintoshers who are experts and making hacktoshes and other who use it as a gateway to the world of mac. while it is cost effective to build a hackintosh, it may not an effienience use of your time. you decide and good luck.

oh and I read this on the apple discuession site:

link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3508737?start=0&tstart=0

Q:Can a brand new Mac Mini (latest edition) support 2 monitors, and if so how (what should i buy)?

A:I did this with the adapter "thunderbolt to DVI" for one monitor and I used the adapter "HDMI to DVI", which came with the mini for the second monitor. Just connect it and start the mini. In the system preferences, topic "displays" configure how you want them to appear. That's it.