Using two GPUs (Incompatible one disabled)

Night Runner

2 posts in this topic

I once had a Hackintosh rig up and running when I had a 4870 and LGA 1366 board, but now I have a 6950 (flashed to 6970) and LGA 1155 board and would like to use the machine with Lion. Stability is key as I am looking to use it as a DAW.

I am aware that the level of compatibility with the 6950 is minimal and really would not like to spend hours in frustration trying to make it work. If I were to purchase a more compatible video card and put it into my 8x slot on my GA-Z68XP-UD5, could I disable my 6950 when booted into Lion and use the new card without any problems or will the 6950 still throw the system off?

I have a MacBook Pro (dual i7) and was thinking about buying a Mini Server, but considering the power of my PC, would prefer to utilize the hardware for Mac. Pro Tools 10 for Windows is poorly written in my opinion and am looking to use the Mac version. I would hate to need to build another i7 specifically for this purpose but will if I have to. I need the 6950 for my gaming fix.

Thank you in advance.