Radeon HD 4650 in a Power Mac G5

n1cky

3 posts in this topic

Hey there

I Know this might be a little away from the main topic, but I believe you are the right people to ask.

As mentioned in the title, I have an old Power Mac G5, the general hardware works good without any problems, but I wanted to upgrade the graphic card, to a Radeon HD 4650 500mb DDR 2 AGP.

I searched through the forum and found a lot of topics concerning the use of this graphic card, patched Kext-files which seamed to be working. but I'm unsure if I can use these kext's on an original OSX 10.5.6 system.

So what I wanted to know is if I can use these patched and custom kext-files on my origianal Power-mac

on of the threads I checked http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...+Radeon+HD+4650

Hey there

I Know this might be a little away from the main topic, but I believe you are the right people to ask.

As mentioned in the title, I have an old Power Mac G5, the general hardware works good without any problems, but I wanted to upgrade the graphic card, to a Radeon HD 4650 500mb DDR 2 AGP.

I searched through the forum and found a lot of topics concerning the use of this graphic card, patched Kext-files which seamed to be working. but I'm unsure if I can use these kext's on an original OSX 10.5.6 system.

So what I wanted to know is if I can use these patched and custom kext-files on my origianal Power-mac

on of the threads I checked http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...+Radeon+HD+4650

First of all, next time post in the Apple hardware section. :) This forum is for people with PCs running OS X.

The only thing that you have to check is that the kexts are universal. Because they are meant for PCs, they may only be Intel-compiled. Personally, I would just go get a known Mac-compatible AGP card (they're pretty cheap nowadays). A great site would be Other World Computing (www.macsales.com). They have a whole ton of Mac-focused products, including graphics cards, though they may only have PCI-e.