[How To] Compaq SR1710NX Snow Leopard

osteneightysix

1 post in this topic

This will be my first install guide so forgive me if anything is unclear: (this guide can probably be applied to other computers with similar specs; e.g. same graphics card or processor, etc.) Just ask me if you need help with anything!

Specs:

· HP Compaq SR1710NX (A8AE-LE Motherboard)

· AMD Sempron 3400+ 2GHz "Palermo" (SSE2 + SSE3 + AMD64)

§ Works completely in 32bit OS X; a little buggy in 64bit

· Seagate SATA-II HD

· Works with an older version of AppleVIAATA.kext and Orange HD fix package

· IDE CD/DVD-RW

· 2048 MB 333 MHz DDR-SDRAM

· XFX 7950GT PCI-E x16

§ Works flawlessly; QE/CI fully supported

· SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI

§ No hacking required here; used Kx Audio Installer for real Macs

· Realtek 8139 Ethernet

§ Used PCGenRTL8183.kext plugin

· Mac OS X 10.6.8 "Snow Leopard"

Guide:

v Create a DOS-bootable USB or Floppy Drive (there are guides everywhere… Google is your friend)

v Then use http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/nv...512cardrom.html guide to flash the your XFX (or similar) 7950GT video card. (This is necessary in my experience to get 512MB Graphics cards working in Snow Leopard)

v Use the 10.6.0 or higher Retail DVD (make sure you boot it from a compatible computer; e.g. not the Compaq** (You can probably get this to work on the Compaq, I already have a working Hackintosh that will boot and install the DVD and I’m too lazy to get the DVD working on the Compaq :)

Selelect Chocolate kernel, AppleVIAATA.kext, RTL8139.kext, IOPCI Kernel Panic Fix, and everything else you might need in BootCD… (also findable with Google)

v Now you can switch your hard drive back to the Compaq and hopefully boot into glorious quartz extreme / core image

v You may notice that the HD icons are orange and recognized as External SATA drives; also, your IDE CD/DVD drive isn’t recognized… this causes issues such as an infinite Spotlight re-indexing loop (common on Mac’s too) ; to fix this, use the attached Orange HD Icon fix package. After that, replace your existing AppleVIAATA.kext with the attached one. Now, OS X should recognize your CD/DVD drive and Macintosh HD as Internal SATA

v Download the attached Nawcom 10.8.0 legacy kernel package and install without AMDx64 options (You can enable 64bit later)

Make a backup of AppleACPIPlatform, IOPCI, IOUSBFamily, and IOUSBMassStorgeClass kexts.

v Then, download the 10.6.8 Combo update from Apple’s website and install (MAKE SURE YOU ARE RUNNING IN 32BIT MODE OR YOU WILL KERNEL PANIC AND BE FORCED TO REINSTALL!) it… DO NOT REBOOT YET or you WILL get [PCI Configuration Begun] error upon boot; instead, replace the new kexts with the ones you (hopefully) have backed up using kexthelper and only then will you be safe to restart. If you happen to get the [PCI Configuration Begun] error, use “-f” (force loads kexts without preexisting cache) and it should boot fine.

v You will notice upon boot an “RX Restart” error and extremely slow ethernet. This has to do with 10.6.8’s new updated RTL8139.kext

§ To fix this, navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ and remove everything within that folder. Next, add the PCGenRTL8139.kext to the folder and chmod –R 755 and chown root:wheel the kext in terminal.

v Once again, reboot and use the –f and –v parameters; the Rx Restart error should cease to exist

v Now, install the remaining 10.6.8 updates such as iTunes, Safari, etc. (again, make sure you are installing in 32bit mode!)

v Install The Kx audio driver package for the SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS (no hacking required here J)

v Everything should be working fine. If you are extremely OCD like me and notice the UI window lag within Snow Leopard:

§ Delete the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext located in /System/Library/Extensions/; reload the kextcache using KextUtility and reboot. Now, wait for your display to sleep and then wake it up. This should fix the issue (apparently this lag is common on Mac’s too, Apple designed this in order to use less power consumption on MacBooks and didn’t bother to get rid of it on their desktop lineup, what it does is underclock your GPU to use less power.)

v That’s about it

v What doesn’t work completely:

§ Shutdown/Restart all the way (have to hold the power button; however, it safely shuts down every time; no data loss, etc...)

§ Some 64bit apps (I fixed this by booting in 32bit only :D it seems A LOT faster in this mode and has none of these problems):

· App store crashes/won’t open

· Ethernet seems to be buggy, it works for the most part however

· Some screensavers lag

Thanks to everyone in the InsanelyMac community! And once again, ask for help if you need it... and can't find the answer anywhere else online

OrangeHDIconFix.pkg.zip

PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext.zip

legacy_kernel_10.8.0.v2.pkg.zip