OSX 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on the Dell XPS 1340 laptop

bcc9

321 posts in this topic

Good day. Long time no opening this thread. I went out of mac os x 1,5 years ago (if not more than 1,5). Still have this laptop. Now I try to (and have full success) to boot it using clover loader. Works fine, found some good stuff in applelife for mcp79 ahci controller. If somebody is interesting in more info how it can be done, I'll post. Now still experimenting.

ok. I decided to make guide for people who wants new feelings from our laptop with mac os x.

How to use Clover with our laptop. Here we go.

1. First we need to make USB Flash.

Download easy tool for windows to install Clover bootloader into USB flash drive.

BootDiskUtility.exe.v2.157b.zip

I hope you understand it'll delete all data in USB flash.

Press format disk and it'll be ready.

Open your USB flash. In the EFI.zip you'll find all files you need to add / replace.

Quick review:

\EFI\ACPI\patched\*.aml : here we have dsdt.aml (lion v5 based + sata addons) and ssdt.aml inject for sata from native mac.

\EFI\drivers64\ION-64.efi - edited driver from native mac by Oscar09 from Applelife

\EFI\kexts\10.8\*.kext:

9400m_gstate_inject: Apple graphics power management injection, MacBookPro5,5 model

AppleACPIBatteryManager: Battery icon that I use.

AppleACPIPS2Nub, VoodooPS2Controller: ps2 keyboard and touchpad from bcc9

FakeSMC: you know

DellBluetoothHCI: bluetooth

and settings for Clover:

\EFI\config.plist

some notes about patches for kexts in memory:

1. AppleRTC patch included, no CMOS reset after reboot.

2. Reboot is fine without any Openhalt restart kexts and edited loaders.

3. SSD Trim is enabled

4. AppleACPIPlaform is patched on the fly for working battery icon.

5. I didn't include AppleHDA patches, I use VoodooHDA (for some reason, it's only one device I really like where Voodoo works better than original AppleHDA). For AppleHDA you need to install pkg from first post.

How manage all this?

Add files from my EFI.zip into your USB flash with clover bootloader.

Boot from USB flash drive, choose partition with mac os x 10.8.3 (in my case) to install Mac OS X to hard drive. You'll find all touchpad, keyboard and etc works out of the box.

Boot into your fresh installed Mac OS.

Download newest Clover. Now it is this: Clover_v2_r1211_pkg

Install Clover choosing all drivers. Install as GPT EFI.

After it's being done, you'll have mounted EFI partition of your HDD.

****if you'll need to mount it manually, use:

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_msdos /dev/diskXsX /Volumes/EFI/

to umount:

umount /Volumes/EFI/

Copy again my files from EFI.zip, but into EFI partition now.

Reboot.

And... the system doesn't start anymore. It'll always open EFI shell, but it'll still boot from your USB stick.

Now the trick:

Go to Dell bios and switch AHCI mode into ATA mode.

You'll find all works.

Clover can't initialize AHCI SATA controller for itself, but it can manage it to boot Mac OS X.

So, you're helping to initialize controller by switching to ATA. But clover uses SATA in AHCI because of ION driver.

Hope you'll find this guide useful!

EFI.zip

How to use Clover with our laptop. Here we go.

Have you found any benefit from using clover instead of chameleon? Since the bios doesn't boot EFI natively (wouldn't it be nice to have a bios update for this), I don't see any real benefit. And having to change the disk to ATA mode is a bit of a deal breaker (can't multiboot with windows).

The only issue I have now is lid detection. Whenever I close my lid, I cannot bring the display back up (even an external monitor). Just a black screen. Computer still appears active. Any thoughts to what might have changed or what I might have missed? I did reinstall the AppleACPIPlatform fix, but still nothing.

I'm not sure. You say you only installed some of the changes in post #1, I suspect that's you're problem (leaving out some of the changes). Such as the DSDT changes.

Otherwise, time to break things down: Is LID detection working (ie you close the lid and the system goes into sleep mode with the light on the hinge flashing), or are you having a problem with wake from suspend?

I think LID detection is working -- it appears to be a sleep issue. If I close the lid OR let the computer go to sleep, the screen goes black, but all of the keyboard lights stay active (i.e. the power button light is on solid, softkeys etc.). I have to force power down (holding the power button), and then right after the chameleon boot menu I get the following message:

header read size 200

Incorrect image signature

Finally, once it has fully booted, just after logging in, I get an alert that "You shut down the computer because of a problem."

I haven't changed the DSDT -- it's exactly what it was before reinstall of ML. I think it must be something to do with the hibernation file.

I now think it might be chameleon related. My computer is dual-boot, and before the crash, it was the bootloader. Now, I see the windows boot menu, and I had to add the mac HDD to the bootmenu using EasyBCD. Once I select the mac, then Chameleon appears, so I can boot from there. How do I make Chameleon be the main boot loader?

So yes, if selecting sleep from the menu fails the same way as lid close, and both attempt sleep, then your lid detection is working.

Seems you have about 3 other problems though.

Per post #2, it looks like you have hibernation turned on but without encryption turned off. I don't know how to turn off encryption, so I'd recommend turning off hibernate with pmset (which I assume you somehow turned on since it wouldn't be on by default).

That'll likely fix your main problems.

For chameleon to be your primary boot loader, you have to have it installed on the MBR.

I use:

dd if=boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=440 count=1

where boot0 is from the chameleon distribution.

Chameleon install scripts do this for you automatically, last I checked they used:

fdisk -u -f boot0 -y /dev/disk0

My notes say this is a worse method, as it clobbers the disk signature used by windows and you have to then repair the signature with bootrec /FixMbr

hello

that patch for appleacpiplatform to work with the battery is for what version of appleacpiplatform, mine in 10.8.3 don´t have that string..

is very good the idea.. but for me don't work.. can u explain what the patch do ?

thanks..

good hack

hello

that patch for appleacpiplatform to work with the battery is for what version of appleacpiplatform, mine in 10.8.3 don´t have that string..

is very good the idea.. but for me don't work.. can u explain what the patch do ?

thanks..

good hack

hello, download my efi.zip archive from previous posts, (for clover), in the config file you'll see there is binary patch. you can find those hex bytes and see what it patches

hello

i did that that's how i find the patch.. for the appleacpiplatform.. u have anything thing mod in dsdt for the battery ?

i apply the patch and use the battery kext and nothing... only X in battery icon

thanks

good hack

hello

i did that that's how i find the patch.. for the appleacpiplatform.. u have anything thing mod in dsdt for the battery ?

i apply the patch and use the battery kext and nothing... only X in battery icon

thanks

good hack

do you have dell 1340 laptop? yes, there is some changes from bcc9 in dsdt

hello

no i have the one in my sig.. only think the patch maybe universal.. rsrsrsrs

is a anoying problem that one.. no kext for the battery.. with new acpi rules...

anyway thanks for u answering

Ah, so it turns out I am no longer getting the header read size 200/Incorrect image signature errors/warnings. However, the computer is still unresponsive after going to "sleep." The fan is still spinning, and the power light is still on solid, but the caps lock key doesn't change. Any other ideas on where I should look?

Thanks again!

Any other ideas on where I should look?

Thanks again!

So you could either figure out how your setup now differs from what is recommended in post #1, or just start troubleshooting which driver might be failing to suspend correctly. Most likely it's the display driver or usb failing to suspend correctly. If you don't want to figure out what's different in your setup vs the recommendations, I'd start by temporarily taking out the nvidia drivers and not using usb, and see how that changes things.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone with a 9400m 1340 upgrade from 10.8.2 to 10.8.3 successfully?

I finally had a chance to try it, and I cannot get the system to come up multi-user. Without intervention, the system console shows everything starting, gets to the point where the graphics driver is starting, and the screen goes to black and the system locks up (no ping response). Same thing if I boot with safe mode.

I can remove some of the nvidia graphics drivers and get the system to lock up right before the screen goes black instead, or I can get the system to panic with IOPPlatformPluginLegacy in the traceback if I remove all the nvidia graphics drivers.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's related, but i had 10.8.3 (now i'm on 10.8.4) installed in my ION system (The Asus netbook of my sig). Since i think ION and 9400m are basically the same silicon, i don't get why the XPS would have graphics issues with the updates.

All the best!

I don't know if it's related, but i had 10.8.3 (now i'm on 10.8.4) installed in my ION system (The Asus netbook of my sig). Since i think ION and 9400m are basically the same silicon, i don't get why the XPS would have graphics issues with the updates.

All the best!

Google shows a bunch of users (even genuine mac users) having trouble with their nvidia graphics going from 10.8.2->10.8.3, but I don't see much in common. You're probably using slightly different injection strings than me; and maybe the cuda drivers are now somehow required to keep the nvidia driver working on these old systems?

I don't think ION/9400m has any CUDA cores, so CUDA drivers should neither work nor make a difference. I do inject it via DSDT - yet i need GraphicsEnabler=Yes anyway: without both GE=Y and the DSDT, the system won't start.

You can try to examine the DSDTs available on the 1201n topic to find if any suits your hardware: good luck!

All the best!

I don't think ION/9400m has any CUDA cores, so CUDA drivers should neither work nor make a difference. I do inject it via DSDT - yet i need GraphicsEnabler=Yes anyway: without both GE=Y and the DSDT, the system won't start.

You can try to examine the DSDTs available on the 1201n topic to find if any suits your hardware: good luck!

All the best!

Cuda drivers install on the 9400m and nvidia's web page show the 9400m as a supported platform.

Some users have claimed installing the cuda drivers to be a necessary step to get working video, but I've never experienced it.

I just tried the 10.8.3 upgrade again and cuda made no difference for my 10.8.3 failure case.

I don't need help on what the injection strings are, I've been supporting 9400m&9500m users here for years with regards to that. Just wondering if anyone knew what changed with 10.8.3 that would cause this failure.

• Like 1

I don't need help on what the injection strings are, I've been supporting 9400m&9500m users here for years with regards to that. Just wondering if anyone knew what changed with 10.8.3 that would cause this failure.

Sorry, bbc9, but how could i know? To me, you were just someone asking help, and i tried my best. :D But i just realized you're the one that wrote the HDA script, so obviously any DSDT injection would be a piece of cake for you. My bad. (OFF: by the way, do you know directions for an AppleHDA patching guide from where i can learn to patch it manually, completely from scratch, for my VT 1705, since it's not supported by any current patch?)

And you are right about CUDA and the 9400m, despite the nVidia site stating 16 "stream cores" (not CUDA cores) for the 9400m: just downloaded the latest CUDA drivers, which i found were missing in my system, and CUDA-Z now displays the CUDA cores correctly (picture below). But then again, i've been running OSX on my 1201n all the way from 10.7.0 to 10.8.4 beta without a single graphics issue, so the issue must lie somewhere else. I'd say, risking to be a little futile, to test the injections of the 1201n topic.

All the best!

Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 5.02.53 PM.png

I can remove some of the nvidia graphics drivers and get the system to lock up right before the screen goes black instead, or I can get the system to panic with IOPPlatformPluginLegacy in the traceback if I remove all the nvidia graphics drivers.

So this panic message was the clue. Prior to 10.8.3, I could boot with nv_disable=1 and that would disable the nvidia graphics and the system would come up with vga graphics. With 10.8.3, I'd get the panic with IOPPlatformPluginLegacy and ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin in the traceback.

So, I moved ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin out of /S/L/E and viola no more panic, and also I can boot with the 10.8.3 nvidia drivers. No more hang.

• Like 1

Sorry, bbc9, but how could i know? To me, you were just someone asking help, and i tried my best. :D But i just realized you're the one that wrote the HDA script, so obviously any DSDT injection would be a piece of cake for you. My bad. (OFF: by the way, do you know directions for an AppleHDA patching guide from where i can learn to patch it manually, completely from scratch, for my VT 1705, since it's not supported by any current patch?)

No worries. The HDA script was somewhat simple actually compared to some of the other reverse engineering I've had to do (like ATI graphics, intel hd graphics, nvidia HDMI audio, etc.).

In any case, AppleHDA worked for the VT2021 I tried, so I suspect VT1705 would work too. The projectosx thread I referenced in my applehda thread, http://www.projectos...owtopic=465��is the most complete/current instructions I know of. There are other older somewhat obsolete pieces such as the pincap under linux thread: http://www.insanelym...ded&pid=1055645

These days you may be able to crib your pin configuration from voodoohda instead of using linux.