* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts
So generally to debug this sort of thing (9500m not booting into GUI anymore) I would look to answer the questions:
1. what has changed from when things used to work?
2. when did things stop working (usually, what did I do to make things break)

To answer the first part I would compare the nvidia related ioregistry from the most recent working release to the first failing release. How do I run ioreg when the system doesn't come up fully you ask?
1. Move the NVDAResman & NVDANV50Hal kexts out of /S/L/E
2. Now boot multi-user (you should be able to get non-qe/ci graphics)
3. enable remote login via system preferences
4. Put NVDAResman & NVDANV50Hal back; touch /S/L/E
5. reboot
6. ssh onto machine
7. run ioreg -lw0

This is of course assuming that the system isn't really freezing, just failing to provide a working GUI. If the system is truly freezing, the above will at least confirm that the nvidia kexts are part of the problem. A remote gdb session is probably in order to try and debug any real hang.

For the second question, presumably OSX upgrading broke things, but:
If others are claiming rolling back to 10.8 DP4 drivers helps things, try installing 10.8 DP4 fully and see if that works. That would at least narrow things down. If 10.8DP4 doesn't work for you, then any dp4 rollback advice would seem to be non-applicable. If it does work, use the ioreg output from that most recently working release to compare with the above.

bfbruin

bfbruin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
IT WAS GEFORCE.KEXT

As soon as I deleted GeForce.kext, my system did not Kernel Panic upon GUI load, and most everything is working perfectly.

I mean, the graphics are still stuttering a bit (I assume due to QE/CI), and that might require me to get rid of NVResman. In any case, I am perfectly as happy as a clam.

EDIT: Removing NVResman only served to limit my resolution without actually fixing the stuttering. Kept it, decided to temporarily remove Flash Player from Safari, which ended up working out for the best for my browsing experience.

Everything else works perfectly. Wifi, Sound, Microphone, Battery, Lid Sleep/Wake, etc.

So my two tips for a successful 10.8 install: 1) Ensure latest DSDT. 2) Append your Device ID to both

NVDAResman & NVDANV50Hal. Do not worry, this is very simple and instructions for doing so are near universally-available. 3) Delete Geforce.kext. =)

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts
Oh yes, forgot about the Geforce kext for a moment there.
So, moving the nvidia kexts out of the way was meant as a troubleshooting step for you, not the end state. If you're having panic issues with the nvidia kexts, it sounds like you're using GraphicsEnabler=yes (instead of the post #1 config recommendation), and are running into the same issue as reported earlier (and resolved thru the new config in post #1):

http://www.insanelym...80#entry1806047

Now that you can boot multi-user, you could do the ioregistry/what-has-changed troubleshooting I recommended. In the mean time, sounds like you're limping along without qe/ci.

Also you shouldn't need to edit device-ids to get this system to work.
The 9400m part that we've been using all along matches the driver kext out of the box.

piarullir

piarullir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Hi guys, same problem here, mountain lion doesn't boot on my xps with 9500m... it boots in safe mode (-x) and if i remove GeForce.kext (in both case without QE/CI).
If i understood correctly, the great bcc9 has no way to solve this problem due to different hardware on his machine (xps with 9400m is fully working).
I'm not an expert of the "mac os world under the hood", but i think that with the expertise of bcc9 and our collaboration we succeed!

I've banally tried to use the old lion GeForce (&co) kext with no success...

I've tried to debug how suggested... remote ssh login enabled but when the boot fail the machine seems to be completely freezed (it is not gui problem only... but no kernel panic appears...) or simply with no networking started...

GraphicsEnabler is disabled... it can be a DSDT nvidia strings problem? Can we try removing strings from dsdt and using a NVEnabler kext?

ghatsby

ghatsby

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
HI Guys, same graphics problem over here for ML 10.8.2. I have a 9400M G / G210M, Tried vairious methods such as dsdt's, NVEnabler, Graphics Enabler, no joy. Quite frustariting as I have everything else working including WWAN. Any more sugestions???

Thanks in advance.

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts
Since the 9400m is known to work just fine under 10.8.x, and the systems reporting problems have 9400m+9200m or 9400m+g210m, and these systems work OK under 10.8.x without the nvidia framebuffer kexts, I would suggest trying to keep the nvidia drivers from initializing the 9200m/g210m co-processors.
To do this, you could hack the pci id matching in the kexts, or I think the better fix is to map the device-id for the 9200m/g210m part to something fake (something other than nvidia). This mapping can be done via the dsdt.

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts
I believe this edit would do the trick:
#patch #3-coprocessor: Make graphics co-processor *not* match nvidia driver
/XVR0)/
/DSM/
/Return (0x00)/
.d
a
                    Store (Package (0x02)
                        {
                         "vendor-id",
                         Buffer (0x04)
                         {
                         0x11, 0x11, 0x00, 0x00
                          }
                         }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
w
This patch would be applied using ed, as with all the other dsdt edits I provided.

ghatsby

ghatsby

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

I believe this edit would do the trick:

#patch #3-coprocessor: Make graphics co-processor *not* match nvidia driver
/XVR0)/
/DSM/
/Return (0x00)/
.d
a
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"vendor-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x11, 0x11, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
w
This patch would be applied using ed, as with all the other dsdt edits I provided.

Won't Compile. How exactly should I use this???

(G210M 10de 0a74)
(9400M G 10de 0866)

piarullir

piarullir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I have a problem compiling *.dsl
I have a lot of compile errors and warning compiling orig.dsl and fixed.dsl provided in the zip file (with DSDT Editor 0.8)

And of course i have the same problem with generated dsl (using scripts provided in the same package)

What's wrong?

PS: I've tried to deassemble DSDT.aml and recompile it but the results are the same...

ghatsby

ghatsby

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

I have a problem compiling *.dsl
I have a lot of compile errors and warning compiling orig.dsl and fixed.dsl provided in the zip file (with DSDT Editor 0.8)

And of course i have the same problem with generated dsl (using scripts provided in the same package)

What's wrong?

PS: I've tried to deassemble DSDT.aml and recompile it but the results are the same...

In general or just with the co-processor edit??

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts
Oops, sorry the XVR0 device didn't have a _DSM method already so my patch wasn't quite right.
Here's a fixed version; I compiled it this time. Pre-built DSDT.aml's included.

Update: newer version in later post.

ghatsby

ghatsby

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Oops, sorry the XVR0 device didn't have a _DSM method already so my patch wasn't quite right.
Here's a fixed version; I compiled it this time. Pre-built DSDT.aml's included.

@bcc9

Still getting black screen, tried your compiled DSDT and recompiled a new DSDT, no joy.
NVDANV50Hal.kext still registers twice @ boot.
Any ideas???

piarullir

piarullir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

In general or just with the co-processor edit??

In general... i've tried to deassemble DSDT-alt.aml provided in the post #1 and recompile the dsl (with no changes)... but i have errors... it's normal?

ghatsby

ghatsby

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
@bcc9, I also have to use Disabler.kext or dont get to the gui!! 10.6.x 10.7.x and 10.8.x. Is that normal or am I missing somthing????

Thanks in advance..

@piarullir. I get 1 error when I compile. What are you using to compile??

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts
Seems like the vendor-id needs to be added to the XVR0.Z01I device as well. Here's a new version with that change. Attached File  dsdt-coprocessor.v2.zip   137.23KB   10 downloads
I'm not sure I got the Z01I edit right, so if someone would test this under 10.7 and send in ioreg -lw0 output then we'd know whether it's working or not. I do not have the hardware to test this myself.

@bcc9, I also have to use Disabler.kext or dont get to the gui!! 10.6.x 10.7.x and 10.8.x. Is that normal or am I missing somthing????
@piarullir. I get 1 error when I compile. What are you using to compile??

The instructions in post #1 should work just fine with 10.7, so if you followed the instructions you shouldn't have needed some disabler kext.
Likewise with the 10.6 instructions.

bfbruin

bfbruin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Alrighty then! I'm currently using your pre-made DSDT-alt.aml, and I have some positive results!

You'll be happy to hear that I've weaned myself off of GraphicsEnabler, and am running without. So yay!

In the meantime, while the 9400M seems to be recognized, I'm still without fully functional QE/CI. Might be because NVDAResman.kext doesn't seem to be loading (Should I throw GeForce.kext back in there?)

Otherwise, most everything else is working spiffy. The one thing I keep forgetting to note is that my USB buses keep running at USBOHCI instead of USBEHCI, which is prohibiting me to be able to actually back up. So there is that.

I don't understand how to rifle through my output, but I enclose it below. Also, a copy of my org.chameleon.Boot.plist, for good measure. I have been seeking other alternatives, let me know if you suggest I delete anything within it!

Attached Files

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts

Alrighty then! I'm currently using your pre-made DSDT-alt.aml, and I have some positive results!

Your ioregistry output shows the fake vendor-id on the XVR0 device but not on the Z01I device; did you not test with the latest version?
In your org.chameleon.Boot.plist, you have a device-properties, I don't know why. Also you have USBBusFix, but I didn't need to add that to get usb2 performance out of the usb ports...

bfbruin

bfbruin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Your ioregistry output shows the fake vendor-id on the XVR0 device but not on the Z01I device; did you not test with the latest version?

I was using the latest version of dsdt-alt.aml from dsdt-coprocessor.v2.zip I discovered that I also had, however, a DSDT.dsl (from god knows where), so I deleted that and rebooted.

In your org.chameleon.Boot.plist, you have a device-properties, I don't know why. Also you have USBBusFix, but I didn't need to add that to get usb2 performance out of the usb ports...

I deleted both of those strings, and got Hi-Speed USB working again! Unfortunately, the QE/CI issues persist.

To be specific: what I'm seeing is jittery, partially-hanging graphics whenever I load either Dashboard or Notification Center. Still, my boot time is faster with this DSDT fix, I don't have to rely on GraphicsEnabler, and my USB finally works, so I am very happy.

Let me know what I can do. I enclose the latest version of my Terminal Saved Output for good measure.

Attached Files

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts

I deleted both of those strings, and got Hi-Speed USB working again! Unfortunately, the QE/CI issues persist.

?
Those were never in post #1 so I don't know why that wouldn't be the first thing you'd try...

Thanks for the new ioreg output, it shows that the Z01I device is still not getting its vendor-id changed.

1 more try: Attached File  dsdt-coprocessor.v3.zip   136.69KB   6 downloads
Edit, or maybe this: Attached File  dsdt-coprocessor.v4.zip   136.5KB   26 downloads

piarullir

piarullir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
OMG, v4 working for me! (9400 + 9200) :)

@bcc9: tanks!! with linux i've used this solution: http://luizfar.wordp...-card-on-linux/

injecting that code the discrete card switch off, and this save battery life (+1hour!) and solve heating problems...

This effect can be achieved by injecting similar code into DSDT?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy