OSX 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on the Dell XPS 1340 laptop

bcc9

321 posts in this topic

Alrighty then! I'm currently using your pre-made DSDT-alt.aml, and I have some positive results!

You'll be happy to hear that I've weaned myself off of GraphicsEnabler, and am running without. So yay!

In the meantime, while the 9400M seems to be recognized, I'm still without fully functional QE/CI. Might be because NVDAResman.kext doesn't seem to be loading (Should I throw GeForce.kext back in there?)

Otherwise, most everything else is working spiffy. The one thing I keep forgetting to note is that my USB buses keep running at USBOHCI instead of USBEHCI, which is prohibiting me to be able to actually back up. So there is that.

I don't understand how to rifle through my output, but I enclose it below. Also, a copy of my org.chameleon.Boot.plist, for good measure. I have been seeking other alternatives, let me know if you suggest I delete anything within it!

Terminal Saved Output.txt

org.chameleon.Boot.txt

Alrighty then! I'm currently using your pre-made DSDT-alt.aml, and I have some positive results!

Your ioregistry output shows the fake vendor-id on the XVR0 device but not on the Z01I device; did you not test with the latest version?

In your org.chameleon.Boot.plist, you have a device-properties, I don't know why. Also you have USBBusFix, but I didn't need to add that to get usb2 performance out of the usb ports...

• Like 1

Your ioregistry output shows the fake vendor-id on the XVR0 device but not on the Z01I device; did you not test with the latest version?

I was using the latest version of dsdt-alt.aml from dsdt-coprocessor.v2.zip I discovered that I also had, however, a DSDT.dsl (from god knows where), so I deleted that and rebooted.

In your org.chameleon.Boot.plist, you have a device-properties, I don't know why. Also you have USBBusFix, but I didn't need to add that to get usb2 performance out of the usb ports...

I deleted both of those strings, and got Hi-Speed USB working again! Unfortunately, the QE/CI issues persist.

To be specific: what I'm seeing is jittery, partially-hanging graphics whenever I load either Dashboard or Notification Center. Still, my boot time is faster with this DSDT fix, I don't have to rely on GraphicsEnabler, and my USB finally works, so I am very happy.

Let me know what I can do. I enclose the latest version of my Terminal Saved Output for good measure.

Terminal Saved Output.txt

I deleted both of those strings, and got Hi-Speed USB working again! Unfortunately, the QE/CI issues persist.

?

Those were never in post #1 so I don't know why that wouldn't be the first thing you'd try...

Thanks for the new ioreg output, it shows that the Z01I device is still not getting its vendor-id changed.

1 more try: dsdt-coprocessor.v3.zip

Edit, or maybe this: dsdt-coprocessor.v4.zip

OMG, v4 working for me! (9400 + 9200) :)

@bcc9: tanks!! with linux i've used this solution: http://luizfar.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/how-to-switch-off-xps1340-discrete-video-card-on-linux/

injecting that code the discrete card switch off, and this save battery life (+1hour!) and solve heating problems...

This effect can be achieved by injecting similar code into DSDT?

OMG, v4 working for me! (9400 + 9200) :)

Great, so the 9400m part is working under 10.8 with full qe/ci (full resolution&acceleration), right?
That's a new one... But doesn't nvidia's linux driver (the closed source one) support the discrete card correctly?

In any case, yes, it looks like this is do-able via dsdt. It'd be a simple matter of calling \_SB.PCI0.XVR0.Z01I.DGOF () from the _INI method.

Ok, here's a dsdt that includes all of the previous edits and also hopefully should keep the graphics coprocessor powered down.

dsdt-coprocessor.v5.zip

In Linux discrete card is not supported... it sucks only battery and produce heat...

Great, so the 9400m part is working under 10.8 with full qe/ci (full resolution&acceleration), right?

Yes, is working with full qe/ci... but there is a big problem... when i plug-in a second monitor (either VGA or HDMI) both monitors became full of artifacts and became unusable... whith no solution, i have to reboot! (plug-out second monitor doesn't help)

Any idea?

That's a new one... But doesn't nvidia's linux driver (the closed source one) support the discrete card correctly?

In any case, yes, it looks like this is do-able via dsdt. It'd be a simple matter of calling \_SB.PCI0.XVR0.Z01I.DGOF () from the _INI method.

Discrete card is not supported in linux, it sucks only battery... can we try this acpi call?

Yes see the new dsdt I just posted (stupid forum software merges posts together when they should not be)

I've tested just now,

system is working with full qe/ci, in system information "graphics informations" are completely disappeared... (for both 9440 and 9200)

and it tells me "Error retrieving informations" (but is still working)

i attach my ioreg -lw0

ioreg.txt

Hmm, check with lspci under osx to see whether the coprocessor seems disabled like under linux.

i've just checked... no reference to

[/size][/color]
[color=#555555][size=3]02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 9200M GS]

i can test this solution using the system and monitoring battery duration and heating ;)

For the management of a second display do you have any idea?

i've just checked... no reference to

[/size][/color]
[color=#555555][size=3]02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 9200M GS]

i can test this solution using the system and monitoring battery duration and heating ;)

For the management of a second display do you have any idea?

If the device isn't showing up at all with lspci then it seems to have been powered off correctly. Also not seeing pci memory resources for it in your ioregistry so that looks good.

If you had a kill-a-watt, that'd probably be the easiest way to test for a power difference.

For plugging in via hdmi, I don't know, you're going to have to troubleshoot it some more I think. I assume hdmi video was working for you just fine under 10.7? Does it still work with 10.7 with the new dsdts?

v5 is still giving me the same result, but at least it's time for another ioreg output!

At this point, I feel like just opening up the chassis and smashing the non-9400M discrete graphics card with a hammer.

Now your vendor-id is correctly remapped for your z01i device (and it looks powered down too). So you have to go back and put back the nvidia kexts that you moved out of the way. Then you can have working qe/ci with the 9400m part.

Now your vendor-id is correctly remapped for your z01i device (and it looks powered down too). So you have to go back and put back the nvidia kexts that you moved out of the way. Then you can have working qe/ci with the 9400m part.

Oh, praise be to you, bcc9. Good golly. Unnnnnnnnnghhh.

So to recap, I scrapped everything anyone else told me, installed dsdt-alt.aml v5 of your design, and ran the NVIDIA-supplied 10.8.2 drivers package (open this link, download, Right Click on pkg file, go to /Contents/Packages and run webDriverPayload_jLhsf.pkg) to restore GeForce.kext and ensure everything is of the latest quality and calibre.

And now, I have QE/CI. And it looks SO. DAMN. SMOOOTH. I mean, it's on its fourth year now, and still running strong. Thanks to you, I have the laptop equivalent of Helen Mirren.

bcc9, I cannot possibly thank you enough.

For plugging in via hdmi, I don't know, you're going to have to troubleshoot it some more I think. I assume hdmi video was working for you just fine under 10.7? Does it still work with 10.7 with the new dsdts?

With older 10.7 installation dual monitor was ok (both vga and hdmi) but with older DSDT (in this moment i've deleted Lion installation...)

I've tested that booting in safe mode (-x at boot) make the video working properly and dual monitor works like a charm, but no qe/ci enabled... the problem is when the system loads the nvidia kext...

A little question... the DSDT edit i've suggested for disabling 9200m can replace your "z01i -> DSDT" edit?

in theory loading kext will skip the discrete card (the system ignore it)?

In this case we can try this combination for solve the problem? (if it make sense)

And now, I have QE/CI. And it looks SO. DAMN. SMOOOTH. I mean, it's on its four year now, and still running strong.

bcc9, I cannot possibly thank you enough.

Good :)

can you try if dual monitor works?

Edit: the problem is generalized... that issue heppens every time the video card try to change or reset output resolution (for example when i try to change the resolution of my primary screen) thus seems to be no related to secondary output.

The good news is that when the issue happens you can solve it forcing a user logout (shift+cmd+Q then enter) and the system adjust your screens "automagically"

Any ideas?

I Forgot to tell that i've updated to 10.8.2

EDIT2: Problem Solved

Investigating on the net for the problem i've found that it's a nvidia driver problem... it was solved with the newest drivers (that was not released for our video card)

I've Downloaded this drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html

then i've extracted all contents with Pacifist and putted in /S/L/E

reboot and... solved! now works like a charm! dual monitor hot plug and changing resolution without problems :)

Oh, praise be to you, bcc9. Good golly. Unnnnnnnnnghhh.

Ha ha, thanks. I'd think you guys wouldn't be so happy with a laptop whose graphics co-processor has never worked under osx.

Personally I've never needed nvidia's cuda drivers; the built-in osx ones have been OK for the 9400m. I think you could have just put back the GeForce kext from 10.8.x instead.

A little question... the DSDT edit i've suggested for disabling 9200m can replace your "z01i -> DSDT" edit?

in theory loading kext will skip the discrete card (the system ignore it)?

So yes if the pci device for the z01i dsdt entry is not actually being detected as an active pci device then remapping the vendor-id shouldn't be necessary.

But I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here... Does the dsdt mod to try and power off the coprocessor actually result in less power draw? Won't anyone confirm/deny? If it does truly power it down, then you could next try the dsdt without the vendor-id patch. And also while you're at it the coprocessor power patch may also be simplified (I did some extra patching which may or may not be necessary).

Otherwise, it's the coprocessor power patch that could be dropped.

If someone completes this testing then I'd know which part is necessary/sufficient to put into post #1.

Personally I've never needed nvidia's cuda drivers; the built-in osx ones have been OK for the 9400m. I think you could have just put back the GeForce kext from 10.8.x instead.

For me with 10.8.2 updating nvidia drivers was necessary for solving that annoying issue... (i've tried 10.8.x GeForce.kext with no luck)

If someone completes this testing then I'd know which part is necessary/sufficient to put into post #1.

There is a software for monitoring power consumption? otherwise i can make a test on the standby time for seeing difference (in the same conditions of course)

in linux the difference is noticeable (40-60 min of battery obtained)

PS: intuitively temperature seems to be substantially lower (but i haven't run stress test to confirm)

Thanks bcc9, v5 dsdt edit has got my 9400M G /G210 working. Only problem is that the system thinks there are no graphics cards in the profiler / system preferences. Also have no sleep function and I still have to use disabler to get any gui.....

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, so mine has working sleep, and I do not need disabler.

Here are the steps that I used to finalize my setup:

• DSDT-alt v5
  • Using Extra/Extensions AppleACPIPS2Nub, FakeSMC, VoodooBattery, VoodooPS2Controller
  • org.chameleon.boot.plist is

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>npci=0x2000</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>PS2RestartFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>SystemId</key>

<string>18B471B3-1A99-4C89-8EB1-5E0517B6D426</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

• Used latest Graphics Drivers from NVIDIA (see my previous post for details)
  • Performed the two patches laid out in Post #1
  • Running Chameleon v2.1svn r2061, and 10.8.2 with supplementary update
  • Used KextWizard to assert correct permissions, make mkexts, etc.

Have you made any alterations to these steps?

There is a software for monitoring power consumption? otherwise i can make a test on the standby time for seeing difference (in the same conditions of course)

in linux the difference is noticeable (40-60 min of battery obtained)

PS: intuitively temperature seems to be substantially lower (but i haven't run stress test to confirm)

The battery information gets you the details you need. Or a kill-a-watt like I recommended a couple times now (and several times before now when we were testing the 9400m gstate power improvements).

You can check the battery information without wearing out your battery with a full cycle by checking

system_profiler SPPowerDataType | grep 'Charge Remaining'

Time how long it takes an idle system to chew up the first 10% of the mAh capacity. It should be measurably different if the co-processor is really using enough power to cause a heating issue. Of course a kill-a-watt would be easier...

Thanks bcc9, v5 dsdt edit has got my 9400M G /G210 working. Only problem is that the system thinks there are no graphics cards in the profiler / system preferences. Also have no sleep function and I still have to use disabler to get any gui.....

I don't know what disabler you're using or why. No idea why you'd be having sleep problems either (I have no such problems).

You could just use v4 of my dsdt changes if v5 doesn't actually change the power consumption (nobody can say definitively yet?!)

Otherwise, perhaps someone could debug via dtrace what error the command:

system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType

is running into.

Using the first command, I get Charge Remaining (mAh): 5194 from my 9-cell.

So if you checked the delta in mAh over a timed interval with dsdt v5 vs the same interval with dsdt v4 then you'd know if there is a difference in power usage. This is assuming the two tests start at the same battery level and the system is in the same state (idle, screen on or off, etc.) across the two tests.

Furthermore, with the second command, I get Segmentation fault: 11

Great, so a backtrace from gdb could probably point us to what the failure point is in obtaining the graphics info.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last couple years I have managed to keep my system running with my own tweaks here and there keeping it alive. For some reason though, with my 10.8.2 USB installer I am still unable to get graphics, using ANY of the new DSDTs including the latest one. For some reason when I boot into my 10.7.5 Install on the SSD ( graphics stopped working after the latest update in September) I can remote into the system using VNC but only after booting the system in safe mode. For some reason booting in verbose mode makes it kernel panic after the verbose output hits macx_swapon. Right before that line it prints NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered and then [AGPM Controller[ unknownPlatform followed again by the loaded and registered. The odd thing here is that when I am able to boot into it in safe mode with VNC, it doesn't seem to be detecting the display so I must be missing something. I can tell that the Installer for 10.8.2 has booted based on the blinking of my USB flash drive intermittently but the graphics never come up even after leaving it sit for a while (in the past the graphics would sometimes kick in automatically and the display would initialize . The problem to me seems to lie in display detection as the display doesn't even seem to power on at all now. Any input or diagnostics steps to troubleshoot would be much appreciated!

1075_ioreg_nodisplay.txt