* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts

You may be onto something with the graphics card though, I bought this laptop 2nd hand and thought it was a 9400m.
When the GraphicsEnabler works, About This Mac identifies it as a "GeForce 9400M G 256 MB"
But if i put my service tag (BQ6SWK1) into Dell website, it says my original configuration was/is "NVIDIA® GeForce® 210M - 512MB"

I have to scoot to work now so can't really look into it until tonight, but seems like this is some form of Hybrid SLI model. From what i can see here, '9500m hybrid SLI' consists of a 9400m & 9200m GS, but if mine is a 9400m & 210m maybe the original purchaser upgraded the graphics.

Well a 1340 with 210M would be a 9400M plus a 210M., just as a 1340 with 9500M is a 9400M plus a 9200M. The 1340s with 9500M shared the same DSDTs as the plain 9400M-only models. I think you're the first to go to the trouble of posting a 210M DSDT.

Per your service tag showing the 210M part, you already have the newer/upgraded model. A 9500M or 9400M only model would be a *downgrade*. You can't switch the GPU in the field without replacing the whole motherboard (which is a PITA, I did it once), as the 210M/9200M chips are soldered in. Plus the whole heat sync assembly is different than with the 9400M only model.

The 5 differing memory regions in the DSDT are all within the 2 memory ranges reported by linux like so:
BIOS-e820: 00000000afec0000 - 00000000afed3000 (ACPI data)
BIOS-e820: 00000000afed3000 - 00000000afee5000 (ACPI NVS)
(This is on my machine)

On another note, I tried applying LatinMcG's patch to my DSDT and removing the PCIRootUID string&key from org.chameleon.Boot.plist, no change. still boots only sometimes.

So you gotta figure out what is different between the two cases. Maybe failure happens after you warm reboot from windows? Or you're booting via a different disk (chameleon sometimes leaks settings from the partition it loads from instead of the partition you select for boot).

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
i put linux mint 11 in a xps m1530 and windows 7 and strange thing would happen on reboot. from linux to windows 7. the Nvdia became standard VGA adapter. untill i shutdown and turn on again (like it wasnt reseting video ram or framebuffer.) im sure its not related.. but something to think about when restarting rather cold booting (and bios version/video version)

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts

i put linux mint 11 in a xps m1530 and windows 7 and strange thing would happen on reboot. from linux to windows 7. the Nvdia became standard VGA adapter. untill i shutdown and turn on again (like it wasnt reseting video ram or framebuffer.) im sure its not related.. but something to think about when restarting rather cold booting (and bios version/video version)

Basically the same thing happens with the 1340, where warm booting into windows sometimes results in the wrong resolution. And now I see the windows DSDT methods are mucking with ACPI non-volatile memory. So this is why I threw out warm booting as a possibility for metamorphoise's intermittent problems.

metamorphoise

metamorphoise

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, Status Report:
I installed NVenabler.kext earlier today, and so far so good. I didn't change anything else (first few boots I booted with GraphicsEnabler=No but then I forgot and it still seems to work fine). Have booted around 5 times with no problems.
AboutThisMac reports "Unknown nVidia card 256 MB". QI/CE seems to work and Geekbench trial mode gives a score of around 3500.

VGA out seems to be working partially; no detection of displays plugged in when the computer is running but correctly detects displays plugged in at boot time. I will spend some time tinkering with this.

Oh and to clarify, I just have the one disk with the one GUID partition with Lion. no Windows/Linux/multiboot setup.

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts

Hi, Status Report:
I installed NVenabler.kext earlier today, and so far so good. I didn't change anything else (first few boots I booted with GraphicsEnabler=No but then I forgot and it still seems to work fine). Have booted around 5 times with no problems.

To narrow down your problem, I think you should try my 10.6 DSDT graphics injection strings and see if that also avoids the problems you're having with GraphicsEnabler.

Dual_Shock

Dual_Shock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey !
I'm sorry, I didnt have much time these days, but I have try to downgrade AppleACPIPlatform with an older 10.5 I believe, and I crash my system.
After restore with good AppleACPI and fix it with bcc patch 1.8, I have try metamorphoise DSDT and it work perfectly ! I have sound and graphic correctly !
For information, I didn't have GeForce 210 but 9200 + 9400 and always with A14 Bios.
Many thanks to you !

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts
So I've written a couple scripts that will look at a running OSX system's memory and figure out whether my patched DSDT.aml is appropriate, or one with the alternate address space (as posted by metamorphoise). This should eliminate any need for guessing. Attached File  dsdt-check-0.1.zip   1.78KB   27 downloads

To use, run dsdt-check.pl from a terminal window.

The included showbootermemorymap is from Amit Singh's osx book, enhanced by me to work with 64-bit address space.
% ./dsdt-check.pl
Address space matches original DSDT.aml
Copy DSDT.aml from post #1 to /Extra/DSDT.aml
%

Makes sense?

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts
I've updated the dsdt & plist attachments in post #1 to a new version which includes the DSDT edit to renumber the PCI0 UID to 0.
This avoids the need to set the PCIRootUID in org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I've also integrated the dsdt-check.pl instructions&scripts so everything you need to figure out the right DSDT to use is in post #1.

Dual_Shock

Dual_Shock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you, your classical DSDT doesn't work, but your DSDT-alt work like metamorphoise DSDT's.
But I have a lot of artefacts in game (Age of Empire III), under osx 10.5.8 for example, it work perfectly.
I think GFX is not working at 100%

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts

Thank you, your classical DSDT doesn't work, but your DSDT-alt work like metamorphoise DSDT's.
But I have a lot of artefacts in game (Age of Empire III), under osx 10.5.8 for example, it work perfectly.
I think GFX is not working at 100%

The GPU throttling you get by using 9400m_gstate_inject may not be appropriate for gamers. Try running without it.
Genuine macbook users have reported these kinds of issues with nvidia graphics as well.

loganMac

loganMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Hi, I use ##### and the Lion installation was successfully installed. However after the first boot, Lion said keyboard was not recognized and I can't go further since no where to click. It said to plug in keyboard. thx

Studio XPS 1340

Dual_Shock

Dual_Shock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I had the same problem. Plug a USB keyboard and once installation is complete, install VoodooPS2. After that your keyboard will be recognized.

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts
If you followed my guide in post #1 instead of a 3rd party guide, then you shouldn't have a problem with voodoops2 loading. I don't get the rationale of disregarding the guide in post #1, using a different guide, and then asking here why the other guide doesn't work? (It's rather insulting too.)

By keeping each modification in a separate piece, there are a few more easy steps to follow in post #1 but then you know all the pieces required to maintain your system. If you use a 1-click to install style guide, then you won't know what was installed and you won't know were to look to maintain things.

loganMac

loganMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Sorry OP. I thought this is the same as #####. Your guide is great and I will try it tonight. I have few questions that's I'm confused:

Install current chameleon to your existing osx 10.6 boot disk, or the partition you just set up above

Does this mean to install to the usb since I'm making a 10.7 usb bootable?

To fix the CMOS reset issue described here http://www.insanelym...howtopic=253992

I did read but do not understand.
Is this all I need to do:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

and workaround. All i need is type this code
sle=/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
mv $sle/AppleFWOHCI.kext $sle/AppleFWOHCI.kext.good

Thanks.

If you followed my guide in post #1 instead of a 3rd party guide, then you shouldn't have a problem with voodoops2 loading. I don't get the rationale of disregarding the guide in post #1, using a different guide, and then asking here why the other guide doesn't work? (It's rather insulting too.)

By keeping each modification in a separate piece, there are a few more easy steps to follow in post #1 but then you know all the pieces required to maintain your system. If you use a 1-click to install style guide, then you won't know what was installed and you won't know were to look to maintain things.

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts

Does this mean to install to the usb since I'm making a 10.7 usb bootable?

Install the current chameleon to the partition you intend to boot from. This may be the your existing/old 10.6 partition, a partition all of its own (in which you'll only install chameleon and /Extra), or the partition you restored the 10.7 'Mac OS X Base System' to.
The first choice can be easiest if you already have 10.6 installed, otherwise the 3rd choice probably makes the most sense, but the 2nd choice works well if you're trying to keep a generic 10.7 install partition (for installation on different hardware).

loganMac

loganMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
After putting all kext in usb flash and knowing which aml to use, can i burn into dvd and make it bootable for future use so i don't have to redo all these again? thx

gtbill

gtbill

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I admit that I may know enough to be dangerous but I need guidance from the experts.

After following the install guide on this post and subsequent 'tweaks' my 1340 works as expected EXCEPT for the battery and sound. Clearly I've done something wrong.

In hope of learning a bit I started checking the code in my DSDT against the bcc9 gold standard. It all seems to agree with the individual edit files.

I did note one thing that does not look correct. I think early in the code for Device BAT0 a variable named BTIN (Battery In ?) gets set to indicate if this system is running on a system with a battery. Later in the code, BTIN is checked and if it's set, it stores the current state of the battery.

If (LEqual (BTIN, One))
{
Store (BDC2, Local1)
Store (BDC1, Local2)
ShiftLeft (Local1, 0x08, Local1)
Or (Local1, Local2, Local1)
Store (Local1, Index (PKG0, One))
Store (BFC2, Local1)
Store (BFC1, Local2)
ShiftLeft (Local1, 0x08, Local1)
Or (Local1, Local2, Local1)
Store (Local1, Index (PKG0, 0x02))
}
Release (MUT0)

So I wonder if the value of BTIN is not getting set correctly. Is the model set in the SMBIOS.PLIST or ????

Any help is appreciated.

BTW, here's my plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBook Pro5,1</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F22788C8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>24</string>
</dict>
</plist>

gtbill

gtbill

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Quick update: Just to be sure I folioed the guide, I generated the UUID as bcc9 suggested, and updated chameleon plist. About this mac shows it as a iMac summer 2001 with a serial number of SOMESRLNMBR.

Here are both smbios and org.chameleon plists

org.chameleon plist follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...tyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v npci=0x2000</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>SystemId</key>

<string>893DE356-9AF8-4943-A19D-92BAA01EAF98</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

smbios plist follows

</plist><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...tyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,5</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F221BEC8</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>MacBook Pro</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>

</dict>

</plist>

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
try Extra_MacBookPro6_1.zip and edit it with the proper info
06/15/09
Apple Inc.
MBP55.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151708
Mac-F2268AC8

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts

Is this all I need to do:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

Yes, that should work for patching AppleRTC. I didn't have access to my old 1340 when writing the original instructions which is why I didn't specify the exact patch. I actually used a slightly different patch myself but the above should be OK. The other patch from post #248 of the CMOS thread is *not* OK.
I'll update post #1 for this.
I still think there's a good chance this could be fixed in the DSDT.

After putting all kext in usb flash and knowing which aml to use, can i burn into dvd and make it bootable for future use so i don't have to redo all these again? thx

One should be able to with a boot132-like setup; I haven't personally tried to do it that way. Since unlike 10.6, 10.7 is repackaged & re-downloadable for every minor release, there will usually be a newer version of 10.7 out before you get around to any re-install. That combined with the cheapness and better speed of thumb drives vs dvds makes dvd the less preferred method these days IMO.

After following the install guide on this post and subsequent 'tweaks' my 1340 works as expected EXCEPT for the battery and sound

My read of the DSDT is that BTIN is set if the code is successfully able to access battery status information via the embedded controller.
Not sure why you're guessing this is not being set in your case.
In post #1 I listed 3 things you need for battery status to work. Have you verified that those 3 pieces are patched/working (bdmesg shows the modified dsdt being loaded, the AppleACPIPlatform pkg said that it completed successfully, voodoobattery is loaded&running, and lid close works)?

Quick update: Just to be sure I folioed the guide, I generated the UUID as bcc9 suggested, and updated chameleon plist. About this mac shows it as a iMac summer 2001 with a serial number of SOMESRLNMBR.

I guess I'm not using the "best" matching SMboardproduct for the about this mac display. SMboardproduct has to be a genuine product for the 10.7 installer to work, but I don't think it otherwise matters for this platform. For some hardware, such as intel sandy bridge graphics, this product number is used to spec out the GPU configuration, but not for his system's nvidia graphics.

try Extra_MacBookPro6_1.zip and edit it with the proper info

06/15/09
Apple Inc.
MBP55.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151708
Mac-F2268AC8

I would definitely dis-recommend using this posted .zip.
The Smproductname has to be carefully set as this affects the GPU throttling.
The values I provided in post #1 were selected to best match the dell with 9400m/9500m hardware vs genuine apple hardware and to match the recommended 9400m_gstate_inject.
Also if you use the Boot.plist from this .zip it'll mess you up as it'll have you booting 32 bit instead of 64 bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy