OSX 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on the Dell XPS 1340 laptop

bcc9

321 posts in this topic

Hi, I use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the Lion installation was successfully installed. However after the first boot, Lion said keyboard was not recognized and I can't go further since no where to click. It said to plug in keyboard. thx

Studio XPS 1340

If you followed my guide in post #1 instead of a 3rd party guide, then you shouldn't have a problem with voodoops2 loading. I don't get the rationale of disregarding the guide in post #1, using a different guide, and then asking here why the other guide doesn't work? (It's rather insulting too.)

By keeping each modification in a separate piece, there are a few more easy steps to follow in post #1 but then you know all the pieces required to maintain your system. If you use a 1-click to install style guide, then you won't know what was installed and you won't know were to look to maintain things.

Sorry OP. I thought this is the same as [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Your guide is great and I will try it tonight. I have few questions that's I'm confused:

Install current chameleon to your existing osx 10.6 boot disk, or the partition you just set up above

Does this mean to install to the usb since I'm making a 10.7 usb bootable?

To fix the CMOS reset issue described here http://www.insanelym...howtopic=253992

I did read but do not understand.

Is this all I need to do:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

and workaround. All i need is type this code

sle=/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
mv $sle/AppleFWOHCI.kext $sle/AppleFWOHCI.kext.good

Thanks.

If you followed my guide in post #1 instead of a 3rd party guide, then you shouldn't have a problem with voodoops2 loading. I don't get the rationale of disregarding the guide in post #1, using a different guide, and then asking here why the other guide doesn't work? (It's rather insulting too.)

By keeping each modification in a separate piece, there are a few more easy steps to follow in post #1 but then you know all the pieces required to maintain your system. If you use a 1-click to install style guide, then you won't know what was installed and you won't know were to look to maintain things.

Does this mean to install to the usb since I'm making a 10.7 usb bootable?

Install the current chameleon to the partition you intend to boot from. This may be the your existing/old 10.6 partition, a partition all of its own (in which you'll only install chameleon and /Extra), or the partition you restored the 10.7 'Mac OS X Base System' to.

The first choice can be easiest if you already have 10.6 installed, otherwise the 3rd choice probably makes the most sense, but the 2nd choice works well if you're trying to keep a generic 10.7 install partition (for installation on different hardware).

Ok, I admit that I may know enough to be dangerous but I need guidance from the experts.

After following the install guide on this post and subsequent 'tweaks' my 1340 works as expected EXCEPT for the battery and sound. Clearly I've done something wrong.

In hope of learning a bit I started checking the code in my DSDT against the bcc9 gold standard. It all seems to agree with the individual edit files.

I did note one thing that does not look correct. I think early in the code for Device BAT0 a variable named BTIN (Battery In ?) gets set to indicate if this system is running on a system with a battery. Later in the code, BTIN is checked and if it's set, it stores the current state of the battery.

If (LEqual (BTIN, One))

{

Store (BDC2, Local1)

Store (BDC1, Local2)

ShiftLeft (Local1, 0x08, Local1)

Or (Local1, Local2, Local1)

Store (Local1, Index (PKG0, One))

Store (BFC2, Local1)

Store (BFC1, Local2)

ShiftLeft (Local1, 0x08, Local1)

Or (Local1, Local2, Local1)

Store (Local1, Index (PKG0, 0x02))

}

Release (MUT0)

So I wonder if the value of BTIN is not getting set correctly. Is the model set in the SMBIOS.PLIST or ????

Any help is appreciated.

BTW, here's my plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBook Pro5,1</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F22788C8</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>MacBook</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Quick update: Just to be sure I folioed the guide, I generated the UUID as bcc9 suggested, and updated chameleon plist. About this mac shows it as a iMac summer 2001 with a serial number of SOMESRLNMBR.

Here are both smbios and org.chameleon plists

org.chameleon plist follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v npci=0x2000</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>SystemId</key>

<string>893DE356-9AF8-4943-A19D-92BAA01EAF98</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

smbios plist follows

</plist><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro5,5</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F221BEC8</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>MacBook Pro</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Is this all I need to do:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

Yes, that should work for patching AppleRTC. I didn't have access to my old 1340 when writing the original instructions which is why I didn't specify the exact patch. I actually used a slightly different patch myself but the above should be OK. The other patch from post #248 of the CMOS thread is *not* OK.

I'll update post #1 for this.

I still think there's a good chance this could be fixed in the DSDT.

After putting all kext in usb flash and knowing which aml to use, can i burn into dvd and make it bootable for future use so i don't have to redo all these again? thx

One should be able to with a boot132-like setup; I haven't personally tried to do it that way. Since unlike 10.6, 10.7 is repackaged & re-downloadable for every minor release, there will usually be a newer version of 10.7 out before you get around to any re-install. That combined with the cheapness and better speed of thumb drives vs dvds makes dvd the less preferred method these days IMO.

After following the install guide on this post and subsequent 'tweaks' my 1340 works as expected EXCEPT for the battery and sound

My read of the DSDT is that BTIN is set if the code is successfully able to access battery status information via the embedded controller.

Not sure why you're guessing this is not being set in your case.

In post #1 I listed 3 things you need for battery status to work. Have you verified that those 3 pieces are patched/working (bdmesg shows the modified dsdt being loaded, the AppleACPIPlatform pkg said that it completed successfully, voodoobattery is loaded&running, and lid close works)?

Quick update: Just to be sure I folioed the guide, I generated the UUID as bcc9 suggested, and updated chameleon plist. About this mac shows it as a iMac summer 2001 with a serial number of SOMESRLNMBR.

I guess I'm not using the "best" matching SMboardproduct for the about this mac display. SMboardproduct has to be a genuine product for the 10.7 installer to work, but I don't think it otherwise matters for this platform. For some hardware, such as intel sandy bridge graphics, this product number is used to spec out the GPU configuration, but not for his system's nvidia graphics.

try Extra_MacBookPro6_1.zip and edit it with the proper info

06/15/09
Apple Inc.
MBP55.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151708
Mac-F2268AC8

I would definitely dis-recommend using this posted .zip.

The Smproductname has to be carefully set as this affects the GPU throttling.

The values I provided in post #1 were selected to best match the dell with 9400m/9500m hardware vs genuine apple hardware and to match the recommended 9400m_gstate_inject.

Also if you use the Boot.plist from this .zip it'll mess you up as it'll have you booting 32 bit instead of 64 bit.

[name=bcc9' timestamp='1321950172' post='1772623]

First here is some general information on setting up a 10.7 boot partition:

• Mount 10.7 image (the OSX lion .dmg image downloaded from Apple's app store)
  • open /Volumes/Mac OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
  • Run Disk Utility
  • select 'Mac OS X Base System' (lower left of Disk Utility window)
  • select restore
  • select 'Mac OS X Base System' as source (should already be selected)
  • select a partition on disk drive or usb thumb drive as destination, where partition has >= 5GB of space
  • Click restore button
  • Once the restore has been performed, from a terminal window:
    rm /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System 1/System/Installation/Packages
    cp -R /Volumes/Mac OS X Install ESD/Packages /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System 1/System/Installation
    cp /Volumes/Mac OS X Install ESD/mach_kernel /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System 1/

• Where "/Volumes/Mac OS X Base System "1" is the name assigned to your newly restored thumb drive partition, your name may be different here.

Sorry to bother you again bcc9. I try your method but got stuck at the terminal section. I mount the BaseSystem.dmg and it in Source, USB is in Destination in Disk Utility. After DU finished restoring to usb, my usb now become BaseSystem.dmg

I open terminal and copy the code above w/out the "1", and terminal said no directory. please help.

2nd: i skip that code and install chameleon to USB and inside Extra folder, I do not see Extensions folder.

my usb lion never work at boot. thx

Looks like the forum software removed the necessary backslash characters from my original post. (I've put them back in.) I suspect that is your problem, but I'm not sure because you didn't show precisely what you typed&what error you received.

Otherwise, maybe you didn't use the right volume name; check what volume name was assigned to your thumb drive partition.

Not that you can skip those commands, but in the later steps, you would make the /Extra/Extensions folder yourself if need be before placing kexts in there.

Whether or not that directory exists depends upon whether or not you are using an existing boot disk or a brand new one.

bcc9,

Just wanted to thank you for your awesome tutorials. I have finally gotten my 1340 to suspend/resume, battery and everything working just fine with Lion.

I just wanted to ask if these few things were normal or if there is something else I should do to squash them.

-On resume from suspend sometimes the wifi (only the connection to the internet) fails. I can see wireless networks, and I can even connect to the default gateway interface to configure my router. (Tried on multiple different networks). In fact this is the first time it hasn't done this after resuming.

-After resuming and trying to shut down it hangs, and repeats the line GUID invalid (somewhere along those lines. If you want I can get he exact line.)

-Only once after using your patch for the CMOS reset I saw the reset happen again after booting. I'm not sure if it was just a one time fluke or if I have done something wrong.

Again, thanks for all your help! I finally have a true "mac" for a fraction of the price.

Thanks,

triton

Just wanted to thank you for your awesome tutorials. I have finally gotten my 1340 to suspend/resume, battery and everything working just fine with Lion.

I just wanted to ask if these few things were normal or if there is something else I should do to squash them.

-On resume from suspend sometimes the wifi (only the connection to the internet) fails. I can see wireless networks, and I can even connect to the default gateway interface to configure my router. (Tried on multiple different networks). In fact this is the first time it hasn't done this after resuming.

Thanks, glad you got it all working.

I've seen this kind of behavior a few times recently and it seems that the mDNSResponder process under OSX has some sort of race condition. You'll notice that genuine macbook users also complain about DNS not working after resume from suspend.

My theory is that this is more likely on this laptop as the wifi hardware is not resuming from suspend quite normally/taking slightly longer than usual.

One workaround that I've used (sounds crazy but works) is to go under network preferences->wifi->advanced and remove discovered wifi networks that you aren't using. This seems to change the wifi initialization timing enough to make mDNSResponder not malfunction.

Another fix is

sudo killall mDNSResponder

to restart mDNSResponder after the system has resumed.

The source code for this daemon is published so one should be able to find out exactly what's going wrong if interested. I suspect apple will eventually fix this as there are enough genuine users complaining.

-After resuming and trying to shut down it hangs, and repeats the line GUID invalid (somewhere along those lines. If you want I can get he exact line.)

The GUID errors are normal as per post #2, you're seeing them on the console because the syslog daemon isn't running.

I think I've seen this shutdown hang too but I haven't had a chance to debug (I don't have this laptop normally anymore).

-Only once after using your patch for the CMOS reset I saw the reset happen again after booting. I'm not sure if it was just a one time fluke or if I have done something wrong.

If you suspended before applying the CMOS reset patch then you'd have a corrupt CMOS the next time you did a cold boot, even if you applied the patch in the mean time before cold booting. I'm gonna assume this is your case...

Again, thanks for all your help! I finally have a true "mac" for a fraction of the price.

Thanks. I think this pricing situation is only true because the 1340s are on clearance sales. I paid basically the same for the 1340 new as my macbook air new. I think the "apple tax" no longer holds true with sandy bridge laptops.

Hey, my system runs perfekt, there are only 2 problems i want to solve.

I installed the system after 1st thread, only difference was, i made a bootable lion installation partition and installed lion over snow leopard. Installed all kexts and fixes as mentioned in the 1st thread. Oh and after installion lion 10.7. i made an update to 10.7.2

First Audio, i used your fix for audio AppleHDA but there is no result, no audio, in system preferencec there is only one entry for audio:

audio.tiff

Second Problem, the Fix for Bluetooth doesnt work with my intern bluetooth controller. I have another one, extern, such a little one for usb, which worked fine under osx 10.5 but osx lion doesnt found the device when plugging in. :-(

Hope someone can help me. Thnx for all of you guys who made this hackintosh possible. Have a nice xmas. :-)

Edit: All right, after installing the newest VoodooHDA.kext, Audio over intern speakers and also over extern line out is full compatible. :-) Hope i helped some guys with the same problem under Lion 10.7.2 :-)

OSX releases will update various kexts, and you need to re-apply the patches as necessary. AppleHDA changes almost every release. Sounds like you forgot to re-apply the patch after upgrading to 10.7.2.

As for the bluetooth kext, maybe you forgot to copy it to /System/Library/Extensions? And/or the kext permissions are wrong. Otherwise, send in some debug info (see the bluetooth thread for all the things you can debug & what can go wrong):

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=136515

As for voodoohda, I continue to dis-recommend it vs applehda as voodoohda is unsupported and has bugs that tend to cause it to crash the system (when the audio sample size is anything but 24 bits).

As for voodoohda, I continue to dis-recommend it vs applehda as voodoohda is unsupported and has bugs that tend to cause it to crash the system (when the audio sample size is anything but 24 bits).

Hey bcc you were right, voodoohda isn working perfect at all, cause i found out that there is a crizzle in the sound, i cant eliminate. :-( Tried your patch again, but no result. Tried to reinstall the applehda.kext of installationdisk of lion 10.7 and do the AppleHDA.idt.v1 patch again, but no result. :-( Oh, maybe the problem is the bootloader?!?! I used to install the newest chimera, version 1.7.0 official version from tonymacx86. But i think audio doesnt worked before updating bootloader, but i dont know exactly... :-/

I resolved the problem with bluetooth, my intern bluetooth card doesnt work at all, but my usb mini-bluetooth adapter is working finde. Dont know why my intern card doesnt work, i couldnt activated it under leopard and snow leo, its the standard card of 1340, maybe its broken... :-/

Regarding bluetooth, a few people in the past claimed it didn't work only to discover that they didn't have the card powered on. I think this is the next most likely scenario in your case. Check that your bios has the hotkey set to control wwan&wpan, and that you have the antenna turned on (via the hotkey). Have you tested the card under windows? Have you checked whether the card shows up as a usb device?

For your audio, without any debug details I don't know why you're having problems whereas nobody else is. But since you say you aren't following post #1 installation method, I would assume the problem is somewhere therein.

Hi all,

Just a little thought...

I would like to thank gurus, members and (why not?) readers, wishing you all Magic Christmas and awesome 2012.

Here attached in zip file my very personal DSDT and SMBios… Obviously it's a joke only but download it and enjoy. :wink2:

@ bcc9

A special thank for your non-stop support and for time you wasted in summing up all steps about Lion installation:

really great! You're the best one. :king:

Merry Xmas again from (now sunny) the iced Antarctica!

Merry Xmas.zip

bcc9: regarding your reply to my post about the battery icon not showing charge. You were correct. I had not followed the instructions that you had posted as closely as I had thought. Got it all sorted out now and everything (battery, sound, lid, sleep) work perfectly. Thanks for all of the excellent information you provide.

BTW, I notice that the time to calculate the level of the battery charge takes a very long time. Has anyone else noticed this?

@ bcc9

A special thank for your non-stop support and for time you wasted in summing up all steps about Lion installation:

really great! You're the best one. :king:

Thanks, hopefully it wasn't all a waste. Up until the 1340 pieces, the lion install instructions work on more modern platforms too, such as sandy bridge desktops.

I do have to wonder with all the posts saying I didn't use your instructions but would like help on why things didn't work after following someone else's instructions (that are partly based on what I came up with in the first place...)

Was hoping your xmas pic would have a 1340 in the snow in antarctica (with some penguins or something). :)

BTW, I notice that the time to calculate the level of the battery charge takes a very long time. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, it seems slow. You could probably make things more responsive by tweaking voodoobattery to poll more often (see NormalPollInterval in the code) at the exepense of wasting a bit more cpu. Or try one of the newer hackintosh battery kexts and report back.

• 4 weeks later...

I have created successfully the USB Lion DIsc and had it installed over the existing Snow Leopard (Dual boot with win 7). I have followed the instructions and made sure the following:

on the new Lion Install :

1. fakesmc, VoodooPS2Controller in /Extra/Extensions

2. smbios.plist, org.chameleon.Boot.plist and DSDT.aml to /Extra

3. Chameleon r1649 installed on the Lion Install Drive

I am able to select the Lion Install from Chameleon and tried to boot it. I have a issue now where after "NTFS Volume name WIN7, Version 3.1", system just hangs. However there is hard disk activity. So i have waited an hour but did not make any progress.

I have tried boot options -v, -x, DSDT=NO, -f. but system still hangs. Plz advise.

I am able to select the Lion Install from Chameleon and tried to boot it. I have a issue now where after "NTFS Volume name WIN7, Version 3.1", system just hangs. However there is hard disk activity. So i have waited an hour but did not make any progress.

I have tried boot options -v, -x, DSDT=NO, -f. but system still hangs. Plz advise.

Sounds like you are having problems with the graphics driver. Did you follow the dsdt readme directions which direct you to run dsdt-check.pl to select the right version of DSDT.aml?

Sounds like you are having problems with the graphics driver. Did you follow the dsdt readme directions which direct you to run dsdt-check.pl to select the right version of DSDT.aml?

I have tried to execute the dsdt-check.pl but were getting errors in Snow Leopard. So copied the DSDT.aml.

I have booted to LION using DSDT=NO. I then execute the pl script and it asked me to use the alternate one. I staged it and system booted fine this time... Thanks bcc9,.

Some questions:

1. I staged the 9400m_gstate_inject.kext.zip in /S/L/E, but could not find it under loaded kexts. Do i need to do anything additional to load it up ?

2. Some times the wireless does not turn on. Even if i manually turn on, it wont. I have to completley shutdown and reboot to make it work.

3. Cosmetic issue: Everytime i boot, i get the verbose screen. How do i disable it to show the apple boot screen.

I have tried to execute the dsdt-check.pl but were getting errors in Snow Leopard. So copied the DSDT.aml.

I have booted to LION using DSDT=NO. I then execute the pl script and it asked me to use the alternate one. I staged it and system booted fine this time... Thanks bcc9,.

You're welcome.

So first, what error were you getting from the perl script?

Some questions:

1. I staged the 9400m_gstate_inject.kext.zip in /S/L/E, but could not find it under loaded kexts. Do i need to do anything additional to load it up ?

2. Some times the wireless does not turn on. Even if i manually turn on, it wont. I have to completley shutdown and reboot to make it work.

3. Cosmetic issue: Everytime i boot, i get the verbose screen. How do i disable it to show the apple boot screen.

Injector kexts just add/modify values in the ioregistry, they are not drivers that remain running while the system is up.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by not on, have you tried the mDNSResponder fix I mentioned a few posts back?

To boot without verbosity, remove the -v from Kernel Flags in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist