Need to replace the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

s.sirio

37 posts in this topic

Dear All,

I need to replce my Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG in my HP Pavilion DV 6790el laptop and wanted to upgrade to a Lion 10.7.2 supported wireless card A/B/G/N.

You can have a more dettailed description of my computer here

I have seen this List but I am not sure which one will actually fit in the laptop itself.

I have already flashed the bios so there is no longer the HP white list but still need the advice of you to pick one. Any suggestions? The more the better.

Thanks

Hi LatinMcG,

thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Will one of these work out of the box without any other hacking, rebranding and ect?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Macbook-A1...=item3f01b6fb89

what would be the difference with this in terms of performance?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Atheros-AR5B...=item1e647f9f82

Thanks

Thanks

both would work..however i prefer the atheros due to price and testing ive done (plus linux works oob wifi not broadcom)

ive had issues with the real apple atheros models but all 3 AR5b91 i tried work (toshiba acer and gateway)

when i have bluetooth broadcom and i use bcm94321 i get BTCOEXISTENCE default .. with atheros it doesnt

(seems bcm comes bundled 2 in 1 bt/wifi for apple so it tries to load it as a combo? works fine but not sure if mixing separate devices as a combo is good)

however there is used Atheros ones cheaper and work out of box for almost all linux from 2008+ bcm94xx doesnt work in linux until u install driver

(live distro testing no need for lan download install of broadcom wifi driver)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACER-ASPIRE-6930...8#ht_842wt_1113

You have finally convinced me to get a Acer Atheros AR5B91, this has been already dispaced and should be with me by tonight. I plan to stick that in as soon as I get home, can you please tell me how can I make this appear in Lion as genuine Apple Card and not a third party?

Thanks in advance for the support

in ioreg explorer find 168c then note where it is above it "Device (PEX#) or so. then add the ar9285 fix without device-id as it is already 2a (ar5b91)

not 2b (ar5b93?)

add this under _ADR of the (PEX#) where 168c is

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package ()
						{
							"AAPL,slot-name", Buffer () {"AirPort"},
							"device_type", Buffer () {"AirPort"},
							"subsystem-id", Buffer () {0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00},
							"subsystem-vendor-id", Buffer () {0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}

Hey LatinMcG,

I am sorry but I am not totally sure I am following you..

I have tried to google for the io reg explorer and it comes out as a developer tool ioregistry explorer but can't find any reliable website where to download it, can you tell me how to get it in first instance?

Once I have installed and lunched the Ioreg explorer I should find with search function the "_ADR of the (PEX#) 168c" and on the line below add the following code:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package ()

{

"AAPL,slot-name", Buffer () {"AirPort"},

"device_type", Buffer () {"AirPort"},

"subsystem-id", Buffer () {0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00},

"subsystem-vendor-id", Buffer () {0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

and than save and exit?

In the end if all went right I can re extract my DSDT file with DSDT SE and place in the root of my operating system and the card will be detected as Apple Atheros AR5b91 correct?

re extract = UNMODED = no change.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mlzwnwmmjj4

just post dsdt in .zip and with ioregistry explorer . go to save ioreg and post here.

the dsdt goes in /Extra/dsdt.aml

search ioregistry explorer for 168c then notice where its at.. in dsdt editor add code under _ADR of the Device (PEXX#) where the 168c,2a is

My friend a very strange situation that I can't really explain. I have connected the Asus Atheros AR5b91 and Lion start up like always but with one major problem, the mouse pad is the only things that works because you can move around and the cursor moves on the screen but all the rest is just frozen, you can't see the top bar nor the application bar nor you can click.

Surprisingly enough the bluethoot works, I can plug in an usb driver and it pops on the desktop but the rest is just frozen.

To make a test I have sticked in the driver the Ubuntu 10.4 LTS live cd and the card works just fine without installing any driver so this exclude a faulty driver.

Any idea will be very much appreciated.

Attached the system info print screens, the Ioreg and DSDT all extracted with the Wireless Card detached.

thanks

try booting -v UseKernelCache=No

your dsdt might need some tweaking.

found a problem in dsdt.. the Device (PCI0) is missing _UID

√=		Device (PCI0)
	{
		Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
		{
			Return (0x02)
		}

Method (_S4D, 0, NotSerialized)
		{
			Return (0x02)
		}

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A08"))
		Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
		Device (MCHC)
		{
			Name (_ADR, Zero)

should be

Device (PCI0)
	{
		Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
		{
			Return (0x02)
		}

Method (_S4D, 0, NotSerialized)
		{
			Return (0x02)
		}

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A08"))
		Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
		Name (_UID, Zero)
		Device (MCHC)
		{
			Name (_ADR, Zero)

i need to know where is the wireless card . in RP01 or RP02 ?

change realtekr1000 for lnx2mac .68 or .90

rename the dsdtFIXED.aml to dsdt.aml and put in /Extra also the 2 other files same folder

ExtraContents.zip

I have amended the DSDT file, the new is attached but not sure is correct.

The wireless card is attached on the middle of the computer just below the mouse pad, if I open the pc should I read RP01 or RP02?

What do you mean when you say?

change realtekr1000 for lnx2mac .68 or .90

Do I need to delete the realtekr1000 kext and install this?

http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

properly working driver (YES)

http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

the dsdt i made in post above . i put the wireless mod under _ADR of PXSX of RP02

let me see your smbios.plist and boot.plist

EDIT: redownlaod zip in last post.. i added smbios.plist of macbook5,1 and boot.plist.. you do have chameleon 2.1 right ? rev ?

u can get rid of evoreboot i believe.

Ok quick update:

when I have installed the new kext for the wired internet I was off line so I had to delete that and put back the realtekr1000 kext.

When rebooted I have checked the bootloader version and is

Chimera v1.6.0 R1394.

Advise when I can download the compiled DSDT file to put in /Extra and when should I plug back the wireless card in

thanks

the pci devices need a proper environment.. if the smbios or the dsdt are missing critical parts.. it wont work and pc will feel slugish

DSDT for u i fixed. with smbios and boot.plist .. place all 3 files in /Extra

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&id=105308

if that rtl1000 works. then keep it.

after u place dsdt in extra then u can put wireless in and boot once with -v UseKernelCache=No (exact CaPiTaLizaTion)

then it should work. after that reboot normaly (it has to build new cache with wireless and dsdt)

sometimes theres need to tape pin 20 of wireless card on some laptops like toshiba.

I have saved the 3 files in the extra folder, the dsdtUPDATED.aml has been renamed in dsdt.aml

Should I now switch off, plug the card and log back in (with the hope that the next tread I will be writing is with out using the cable)? Please consider that the kext is still realtekr1000, if needed before reboot I will update with the newer one.

I have saved the 3 files in the extra folder, the dsdtUPDATED.aml has been renamed in dsdt.aml

Should I now switch off, plug the card and log back in (with the hope that the next tread I will be writing is with out using the cable)? Please consider that the kext is still realtekr1000, if needed before reboot I will update with the newer one.

prefect.. make sure u take out battery so it does update pci devices listed.

keep rtl1000 if it works.. but some old vrsions caused sleep issue. well test that later.

(did u try v 67 or v90 ? 67 might work better for your older laptop.. v90 aims more towards newer than 2010 models not supported in .67 .. but likely both wont work if ..90 didnt.)

i believe i fixed sleep in EHCI of dsdt with the usb fix.

to verify chages of dsdt (comapre) use textwrangler compare .. the .dsl files.. not .aml

see i had same issues with 10.6.8 and 10.7.x due to Device (PCI0) was missing _UID in my laptop dell. so added and problems went away.. with proper smbios.plist

OOPS I FORGOT TO TAKE OUT IRQ of IPIC

IRQNoFlags ()
						{2}

dsdtFIXED2.aml.zip

Not so lucky, on reboot using the -v UseKernelCache=No I had a Kernel Panic, please refer to the print screens attached.

Than I have used the Lion Boot CD to find out that the Lion was still frozen, I have now detached the WLAN card and I have been able to boot but using again the CD and the resolution is 1024x768 without options. I guess the DSDT needs to be reviewed.. :-(

The good news is that you sorted the USB problem, the card reader and the mouse are both working (yessss!!!)

go for it.. im looking into it. seems i ran once into similar with a toshiba with intel 3945 . i wonder if theres a dsdt issue with the atheros in these. as they work great in my dell. but another person was able to tape pin 20 and worked.. so the freeze is more like. u have nullcpupm and a few other hacks.

i use chameleon2.1

try this.. i changed Linux to Darwin as a test..

do u have a usb u can test booting from with this dsdt?, the install usb ? but boot your hd instead with usb.

dsdthope.aml.zip

I had another KP using the DSDTv2 with "IRQ of IPIC" removed. Attached the images of the KP

I have got an external HD but I have never been able to boot from there.

I have a small partition on my primary hd (the internal one) where I can install a copy of Lion and use that as test is that what you mean?

i think its best to try 10.6 retail first.

what i do is make a usb 8 gb 10.6.3 install from osx disk utility restore tab but first partition create one then in advanced button set it GUID then restore the 10.6.3 retail .dmg with the Restore tab, select at bottom erase disk.

then install chameleon 2.1 to it. then add the files /Extra/smbios.plist /Extra/dsdt.aml and /Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext (3.1)

look at this error.. NullCPUPowerManagement kext issue ( remove that kext if using GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates in boot.com.plist)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=265488

I have installed the clone of 10.7.2 to test the DSDThope, it booted without KP but it does require a psw to log in and the internal keyboard do not works so I need to borrow an external one tomorrow from work and check.

For tonight I surrender as I need 4 hours sleep at least before going to work, if you use any social network with a chat (msn, yahoo whenever) why don't you PM your account so I can ping you when I come back from work later?

Thanks for all the time you have spared tonight

Regards