Apple Cinema Display is looking for a graphics card!

XLR

25 posts in this topic

What gfx cards would you recommend to use with Apple Cinema Display?

(With a working Mini Display Port, and preferably one that works with GraphicsEnabler)

The only one i know of is Sapphire 6870 Vapor-X, but i'm not sure if it works OOTB or requires kexts editing headache...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know about the 6870, but the 6850 of Sapphire has DP and works ootb

I am aware this topic is rather old but feel compelled to reply since your answer does not match XLR's question who asks for a mini DisplayPort (mDP) video card, and you suggest the Sapphire 6850 with DisplayPort (DP) = not compatible OOTB (only with adapter or converter).

@XLR, which video card did you get for your mDP ACD?

I recommend nVidia. The 6xx series works OOB without any sort of kext editing or GraphicsEnabler=yes. Plus, the performance is fantastic. The card I have is a 660. It does not have a mini-displayport, but it does have a display port which can be used with a Displayport to mini-Displayport cable.

I'm trying to avoid an adapter = one more piece than can fail.

What about the Sapphire 100357LP Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card mDP/ DVI-I/ HDMI? Got very good reviews on Amazon and NewEgg.

Here's what the card needs to be able to deliver in 10.8.5 (and best 10.9) with a 27" mDP ACD as main display:

1.     dual-monitor: connect a 2nd one via DVI or HDMI
  2.     live resolution switching on both monitors w/o black or blue screens
  3.     fully working wake from monitor sleep AND wake from MacOS sleep on BOTH monitors w/o black or blue screens
  4.     ATY framebuffer negotiated correctly between the card and OS X
  5.     cooling fan(s) not too loud if possible

Sharing of best your personal experience or otherwise links or pointers would be very welcomed :)

I have this card as well.  Testing shows Dashimaki works best.  For DP/HDMI audio (10.9 only), see attachment.

wow, thanks a lot, toleda, very neat!

When you write DP you mean mDP, don't you? Or do you have a different Sapphire low-profile with DP?

Do you have a way to test two monitors? The Sapphire 5450 low-profile that just broke had the issue that the 2nd mon would not wake up from sleep.

BTW, I listened to you and theconnactic back then and purchased the Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB 100326LP low-profile for my 755 Optiplex and have been 100% (!!!) happy with it, so thanks again for valuable hint. Would you classify the Sapphire 7750 low-pro as compatible as my current 6670 low-pro? Look here ..

When you write DP you mean mDP, don't you?

Do you have a way to test two monitors? 

Would you classify the Sapphire 7750 low-pro as compatible as my current 6670 low-pro?

Yes, mDP, mHDMI as well. Sleep/wake works as expected.  Yes, only issue is HDMI audio framebuffer patch after each update. Sapphire HD 7750 LP is the lowest priced mDP and may be the fastest LP available.

• Like 1

only issue is HDMI audio framebuffer patch after each update.

you mean patching AppleHDA, right?. Sorry I have not had any time to do any further research into this card. For OP 745's on-board audio I (have to?) use VoodooHDA. Do you know if VoodooHDA support the Sapphire HD 7750 l-p's HDMI audio?

Sleep/wake works as expected. Sapphire HD 7750 LP is the lowest priced mDP and may be the fastest LP available.

very cool, thanks for the reassurance. Seems you have a stack of ATI video cards available for testing :) I'll contact the person that's using my OP 745 right now and have her fwd me some $$s so I can order that card (she owns the mDP ACD so I'm stubborn about ordering it from my funds at this point).

Will report back once the 7750 l-p is up & running in the OP 745 (hopefully sooner than later).

• 4 weeks later...

off to vacation but wanted to report quickly: working fine QE/CI on all three mDP/ micro HDMI/ VGA in 10.8.5 via Clover and Ati Inject/ Dashimaki :) (10.9 not tested yet) - THANK YOU TOLEDA, and happy holidays.

• 2 months later...

toleda (and possibly rampagedev), please - no matter what and how hard I try - I am not able to successfully integrate the Device (PEGP) etc. patch from your hd7750_dp-hdmi_v1.0 Pdf into my DSTD .. :(

The compile error I mostly get is

Pairs of Brackets don't match

I followed the man from http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/guides/inject-your-amdati-graphic-card-into-a-dsdt/ and am 99% sure the PCI-e slot is PCI1 (Device (GRFX) being the on-baord chip from what I see).

I have to halt here and admit this DSDT is over my head. I'd love to learn what I'm doing wrong and how it's being edited correctly, so please at your convenience would you have a look at it and tell me WHERE EXACTLY I need to place the code for my SAPPHIRE 100357LP HD 7750 low-profile (same as yours, I guess) into this DSDT (Dell Optiplex 745 SFF).

I attached DSTD and Darwin Dumper results.

Thank you so much,

Bugs

PS: The Darwin dump is from 10.8.5. Just let me know if you want me to dump from 10.9.2 also.

DSDT Dell OP 745 SFF BugsB.zip

DarwinDumper_2.8.8_Chameleon_2.2_X64_ML_.zip

not able to successfully integrate the Device (PEGP)

In your dsdt, the device name is PCI1.  You can rename PCI1 to PEG0 (Find/Replace 3x)

The PCI1 edit (add Device GFX0 and Device HDAU):

Device (PCI1)
            {
                Method (_S1D, 0, NotSerialized)  // _S1D: S1 Device State
                {
                    Return (One)
                }

Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)  // _S3D: S3 Device State
                {
                    If (HACK ())
                    {
                        Return (0x03)
                    }
                    Else
                    {
                        Return (0x02)
                    }
                }

Method (_S4D, 0, NotSerialized)  // _S4D: S4 Device State
                {
                    If (HACK ())
                    {
                        Return (0x03)
                    }
                    Else
                    {
                        Return (0x02)
                    }
                }

Method (_S5D, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    If (HACK ())
                    {
                        Return (0x03)
                    }
                    Else
                    {
                        Return (0x02)
                    }
                }

Method (_ADR, 0, NotSerialized)  // _ADR: Address
                {
                    Store (0x00010000, Local0)
                    Return (Local0)
                }

Name (_UID, 0x19)  // _UID: Unique ID
                Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)  // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake
                {
                    0x1B, 
                    0x05
                })
                OperationRegion (RSTS, PCI_Config, 0xC0, 0x04)
                Field (RSTS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                {
                    PID0,   8, 
                    PID1,   8, 
                    PMXS,   8, 
                    PNUS,   8
                }

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)  // _PRT: PCI Routing Table
                {
                    Store (API1, Local0)
                    If (LNot (PICF))
                    {
                        Store (PIC1, Local0)
                    }

Return (Local0)
                }
                Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Name (_SUN, One)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }
                        Return (Package()
                        {
                            "AAPL,slot-name", Buffer() { "Slot-1" },
             	            "device-id", Buffer() { 0x3F, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00 },
                            "@0,name", Buffer() { "ATY,Dashimaki" },
                            "@1,name", Buffer() { "ATY,Dashimaki" },
                            "@2,name", Buffer() { "ATY,Dashimaki" },
                            "@3,name", Buffer() { "ATY,Dashimaki" },
                            "model", Buffer() { "AMD Radeon HD 7750" },
                            "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-2" },
                        })
                    }
                }
                Device (HDAU)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, One)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }
                        Return (Package()
                        {
                            "layout-id", Buffer() { 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 },
                            "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-2" },
                        })
                    }
                }
            }

Device (PCI5)
  • Like 1

Dear toleda, unfortunately the resulting DSDT.aml (together with the AMD7000Controller.kext binary Dashimaki mod from your Pdf) does not work - black screens on both, DVI and VGA display connected via mDP2VGA adapter.

The following settings do not change that:
- GraphicsEnabler on/off
- PCIRoot nothing, 0, or 1
- PCIRootUUID 0 (I have it set to 4 which is the value via ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI" | grep "_UID" for this mobo)
- unplugging/ replugging monitors
- pushing the power button: nothing happens (before it would go to sleep)

Both, Dashimaki DSDT + AMD7000Controller.kext attched.

With the DSDT.aml attached in my previous posting + the 10.8.3 grafics kexts from http://www.osx86.net/files/file/583-ati-7000-kext/ , I am able to boot to 10.9.2 Desktop w/ full QE/CI on both connected monitors (the 10.8.3 ATI7000Controller.kext dominates the modded AMD7000Controller.kext which does not even load, as per 10.9.2 Sys Profiler).

When I add the 10.8.3 graphics kexts again, 10.9.2 Desktop can be seen briefly on the VGA display connected via mDP2VGA adapter (the DVI display turns off completely), then after ~ 10 seconds 10.9.2 freezes. It still freezes after I removed VoodooHDA, so the freeze is not caused by the audio kext.

In 10.8.5 a bit different behavior: both monitors flicker on and off black/ white. Pushing the power button --> sleep. Press a keyboard button --> wake. Now the Desktop is visible for a few seconds, then full-screen loginwindow blue for a few seconds, then again Desktops ..

When I managed to open 'About this Mac', I do see correctly 'AMD Radeon HD 7750'.

Does any of what I write ring any bells - any idea what might be wrong? Maybe these Dell OP 745 IORegs and/ or the Saphires are different than from your Pdf. I did however copy the code from your posting (PCI1), NOT from your Pdf (PEGP).

Hmmmm ..

AMD7000Controller.kext Dashimaki.zip

DSDT Dell OP 745 SFF + AMD Radeon HD 7750 - Dashimaki (BugsB).zip

.Does any of what I write ring any bells - any idea what might be wrong?

The dsdt is fine, there is nothing special in a Dell dsdt.  I will remind you my 7750 solution is for HDMI and DP.  When I tested DVI, it disabled DP.  The DVI connector needs an edit, however, no work has been done.  If you don't need HDMI, use the native framebuffer.  If native doesn't work, consider a HDMI2DVI adapter.  

Without an IOReg, I have no idea what is happening and cannot comment on your observations.

ah I see - bummer. Yes, my HDMI2DVI adapter works.

IOReg - yes, it is inside the 10.8.5 Darwin Dumper zip :) Do you want me to create a Darwin dump from within 10.9.2, also? Or are you looking for a dump with specific IOReg parameters Darwin Dumper does not do?

PS: I wonder if (against 7xxx white screen @ log-in), there is a better solution than user-level sleep and fp-rotate as per http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287626-guide-bypass-the-white-screen-for-ati-hd-7xxx-1083/

It's cumbersome and awkward that the login-window is not visible. A rotate script during runtime of login-window would come in very handy. Nothing found yet, though.

IOReg - yes, 

It's cumbersome and awkward that the login-window is not visible.

Every time you make any change to your system, IOReg is different.  You can get the app from the Apple Developer/Xcode/Hardware Tools or IORegistryExplorer_v2.1.zip. For download, View Raw.  IOReg/File/Save a Copy As...

For the HD7750 to display boot screen and get to the Desktop without tricks, you must boot from the EFI partition; Clover is ideal or Chameleon installed in EFI.

Install the native AMD7000Contoller.kext and reply with IOReg.

• Like 1

Every time you make any change to your system, IOReg is different.  You can get the app from the Apple Developer/Xcode/Hardware Tools or IORegistryExplorer_v2.1.zip. For download, View Raw.  IOReg/File/Save a Copy As...

got it, thank you. Very neat of you to host it on github!

For the HD7750 to display boot screen and get to the Desktop without tricks, you must boot from the EFI partition; Clover is ideal or Chameleon installed in EFI.

?? really? OMG, there is so much stuff I do not know. Scratch my head about the background why the boot source partition would make a difference. I'm comfortable with Clover by now so will switch over asap (the HDD is GPT formatted via Disk Utility and has the usual 200MB EFI up front).

For ANY Ati to (more or less fully) work in my Optiplexes, I always had to assign PCIRootUUID to 4 in the chameleon boot plist. I am not sure if Clover offers that key, too (or if it's not necessary with Clover).

Install the native AMD7000Contoller.kext and reply with IOReg.

I loaned the comp. to a friend an hour ago who's hackintosh's power supply blew up (literally). He took his to a shop today (to hopefully onlu swap the PSU), so I hope to have the Optiplex back soon (he does not exactly live around the corner so it might take a week before we can meet up again).

Once I'll have it back, I'll install Clover to 10.9.2 (and to EFI, too, then activate EFI), delete the three 10.8.3 kexts, and restore the original (unmodded) AMD7000Contoller.kext.

Which DSDT will you want me to use - the one with or the one without your 7750 mods?

Thank you for your expertise and guidance!

• 7 months later...

so, after searching for a whole day... I realised that this may be the only solution for a low profile card with display port or mini display ?

if I buy this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/diamond-multimedia-radeon-hd-7750-graphic-card-800-mhz-core-1-gb-gddr5-sdram-pci-express-3-0-x16-low-profile/1308601890.p?id=mp1308601890&skuId=1308601890&st=radeon%20hd%207750%20low%20profile&cp=1&lp=1

will it work on mavericks with (GA-Z87X-D3H) ?

thank you.

HD7xxx/R7/R9 bootloader has to run from EFI partition.  Suggest Clover.

ok, all done.

Installed latest version of Clover.

Inserted the dislpay card in the slot, all running on HDMI port. my monitor LG 25UM65-P is supporting 2056 x 1080 only through display port.

I have a minidisplay port cable to displayport, when I plug it in, I manage to go only to the boot menu where I select to boot from osx, the apple appears at the full resolution but then it reboots. and so on... booting from the uefi partition only leads me to a black screen with a line where I cant type anything and then it reboots again...this time with no video signal neither on hdmi or display port...

pull out the video card restart in black screen ... turn off, put back the video card, hdmi cable in... all running good via HDMI display setting stating that is running at 2560x1080 via HDMI ... how is that possible ?

system information shows :

AMD Radeon HD 7xxx:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI Slot 0

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x683f

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

LG ULTRAWIDE:

Resolution: 2560 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Television: Yes

I am running mavericks 10.9.2 can I update to 10.9.5 after clover ?

put back the video card, hdmi cable in... all running good via HDMI display setting stating that is running at 2560x1080 via HDMI ... how is that possible ?

AMD Radeon HD 7xxx:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx

PCIe Lane Width: x8

LG ULTRAWIDE:

Resolution: 2560 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Television: Yes

I am running mavericks 10.9.2 can I update to 10.9.5 after clover ?

What motherboard, BIOS?  Are you booting UEFI? CSM enabled?

HD 7xxx means OS X does not recognize the card.

Why is the card in a x8 slot?

Resolution, may be an EDID problem.

Update to 10.9.5