Asus P5B thread

ReLoad

123 posts in this topic

I've been trying JaS 10.4.6 and more recently 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Only releases, similar problems with both:

If I boot from the DVD, it goes nowhere.

If I boot from the DVD on a USB drive (in -v mode) I get about 2 minutes in and then get

"SAM Multimedia" READ or WRITE failed, ASC=0x11, ASCQ=0x00". This repeats itself for awhile.

I've also tried getting it running in VMWare (on Vista) and no matter what I try (virtual, partition, entire drive, different LAN settings, etc) it gives me:

"*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

Not sure which error is 10.4.6 and which is 10.4.8 - different versions suffer different problems. Try 10.4.6 in VMWare. If you get that working, see the 10.4.8 link in my signature for other ways to get 10.4.6 up to 10.4.8 with the latest kernel.

The 10.4.8 DVD has an early kernel which may not have VMWare capability built in. The newer ones do. When booting the DVD inside VMWare, try typing one of the following:

-v -legacy
 -- or --
-v mach_kernel.mifki

I've been trying JaS 10.4.6 and more recently 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Only releases, similar problems with both:

If I boot from the DVD on a USB drive (in -v mode) I get about 2 minutes in and then get

"SAM Multimedia" READ or WRITE failed, ASC=0x11, ASCQ=0x00". This repeats itself for awhile.

SAM errors means trouble reading the disc or a bad burn. Try grabbing the patch on demonoid for 10.4.8 for JMB363 chipsets. It should fix the problem with the 10.4.8 dvd booting if it's a "still waiting for root device" error. Search demonoid for "jmb" or "jmicron".

More on the patch.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34938

i ve got

"*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

when i try to install both 10.4.6 or 10.4.8 using vmware

even though i installed that 10.4.6 on another pc before, so it shouldnt be bad dvd...

The Kernel stack issue and the SAM errors are completely different.

The patch I mentioned will get the install DVD to boot properly on an IDE dvd rom. Meaning you won't need VMware.

All -

Hopefully someone can help me out here, I'm failing miserably getting OSX working on my system. Current configuration: P5B (regular), C2D 6400, 2 SATA drives on ICH8 ctrl, X1900. I'm currently dual booting XP and Vista, with a 3rd partition on the drive for OSX if I can get it working.

I've also tried getting it running in VMWare (on Vista) and no matter what I try (virtual, partition, entire drive, different LAN settings, etc) it gives me:

"*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) *** The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down"

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Again its the P5B, not deluxe or -E so I don't have the ICH8R chipset.

Thanks in advance.

I have a P5B-VM, and I'm experiencing the exact same problem as narf003.

Can't boot with IDE DVD after JMicron patch.

Using VMWare, it crashes on both WinXP & Vista with the kernel stack fault (for 10.4.8)

Using flags like -v -legacy or -v mach_kernel.mifki did not make a difference. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I need some help/pointers with installation of Jas Mac 10.4.8 on Asus P5B.

Reading throughout this forum I understood that there are two versions of JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only, I believe I have a good one.

I made it through installation, restarted and got stack on Mac start up screen and after a few minutes crossed circle appears nothing more happens.

I know there is certain sequence and settings to be respected in order to get it working and I guess I do something wrong please help me to find out what it is.

Here is info on my hardware:

MB Asus P5B, CPU Celeron® 2.53GHz Ram 512MB, 3 HDs (one IDE 40 GB), (2 SATA2, one 250GB on first SATA socket (color pink), the other one 80GB on second SATA socket (color pink), I read on this forum that OSX installation HD should be connected to black SATA socket but the Mac 10.4.8 installation utility doesn't see the 80GB HD if it's plugged to

black SATA socket. There is also IDE DVD burner, and external USB burner the one used to boot up Jas 10.4.8

So what I did: 80GB HD Was brand new I used Mac disk utility to format it half Juliet extended half MSDOS. In BIOS it was set first HD to boot. Installation went well after reboot got stack on MAC logo. Second attempt in bios SATA from IDE changed to AHCI mode, used Mac disk utility to reformat 80GB HD to 3 three parts, Joliet extended, MSDOS, and 10MB free space. Installation went OK after reboot got stack on MAC logo again. Replugged 80GB to SATA socket 3 and 4 (black) turned on, Acronis OS Selector took over and showed 2 two unknown OS, (besides WinXP and SUSe) chosen one of unknown OS result "got stack on Mac start up screen and after a few minutes crossed circle appears nothing more happens", chosen the other unknown OS result same as if you start your PC with none system floppy disk.

I'm new to this so have no idea what and where can go wrong, would appreciate any help.

Oh there is one thing in AHCI mode which settings it should be enhanced, standard, disabled? I think I tried it on enhanced and standard.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I got numerous of PM's from people using this mobo, so here is a short summary

1. Installation simple and typical w/ JaS 10.4.7 DVD using USB2-to-IDE convertor

2. PATA HDD and ODD did not works on Jmicron (SATA drives yes in AHCI mode)

3. IHC8 SATA works out of box but slow

4. AD1988a sound *outs* (2 - channel) works (similar to thread)

a. Delete AppleHDA.kext:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

b. Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext for matching codec's proper ID:

sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

in Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver key

change the string to:

<string>0x11d41988</string>

c. Edit AppleAzaliaController.kext for matching ICH8 HDA interface proper ID:

sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

change the string to:

<string>0x284b8086</string>

d. Refresh kext caches

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

e. reboot

Thanks for this info, I have P5B deluxe so Id's should be 0x11d4198b and 0x284b8086. I try this but did not work out. I loaded Jas 10.4.8 with semthex kernel and Azalia Audio Fix. For some reason my Info.plist file for controller has ICH6, is there a way to get ICH8 files back?

<key>Intel ICH6 Azalia Audio</key>

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

[EDIT] Got it working. IHC6 can be as it is. My kext file had some extra characters. Also had to load the kext and then rebuild the cache with kextcache -k ... to get the audio loading when restarting. Unfortunately no audio input device detected though.

Edited by sso2essooe

• 2 weeks later...

Since it has been over 4 months now since Reload's guide I was wondering if someone could put up a more well rounded step by step guide that would cover all of the new techniques and tips out there to set up this board. It is just that it is somewhat confusing reading through this thread and a few of the others to get a coherent picture the process. Thanks.

Hi all

I'm italian so excuse me for my poor English!

I have 2 Asus P5B deluxe and I think I'm lucky because all work fine for me: Audio, 1 ethernet, video (X1800XT and X1950Pro).

Now I have to try to use jmicron but it's not important now......

Here is what I noticed in this period of trying to have a functionally system:

I tested 3 different HD using usb CDROM for installation and Jas 10.4.8 intel

Maxtor Diamondmax10 120Gb SATA I

Maxtor Diamondmax10 300Gb SATA II Model 6V300F0

Maxtor Diamondmax17 160Gb SATA II Model 6G160E0

Results:

Maxtor Diamondmax10 120Gb SATA I: Installation starts but DISK UTILITY doesn't view the partition created in windows by diskpart and if I try to make partitions or erase the disk, DISK UTILITY crash and I can do nothing.

Maxtor Diamondmax10 300Gb SATA II Model 6V300F0: same as 120Gb

Maxtor Diamondmax17 160Gb SATA II Model 6G160E0: All works fine!!! On all 2 mobo.

So what's the problem? Diamondmax10 is not compatible with SATA driver of MAC installation disk?

I hope anyone have some information to provide me.

Thanks

bye

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the same case. I had to install OSX in my WD Raptor with my P5B deluxe Wifi/AP and all work perfectly but OSX (10.4.8) can mount my 2 Maxtor Diamondmax 10( 6L300S0 and 6V300F0).

If someone have a issue can he say it. thanks.

@++

Edited by Kartman

• 1 month later...

I am hoping (no praying) to flee from VISTA. I have been trying to install the 10.4.6 DVD on my P5D-DELUXE WiFi I am running off the intel SATA set to AHCI with both a SATA HD and DVD. I also have a Nvidia 8800 GTS. The DVD boots, goes to the grey apple/white background and after a few minutes I get a little "DO NOT" circle with a line through it. Am I getting hit by mobo/sata issues or is it my video card? I can say when it first boots from DVD it says vesa and 14 meg Nvidia.

Thanks,

FCat

"soon to be VISTA Ult refugee, I hope"

Hi,

I have a machine with the P5B deluxe at home to install OSX.

I bypassed the DVD problem installing OSX in another computer and then bringing the hard drive to the computer with the P5B.

Then, after having the "waiting for root device problem", i changed the SATA mode to AHCI and the error was different. Now i have a kernel panic.

What happening?

Thx,

Nuno

• 4 weeks later...

I used jas 10.4.8 amd/intel sse2/sse3 with v1p and diskutil patches on my p5b deluxe.

Hnts and tips for others:

• sata HD on ich8r (if you don't know which one, go for #1)
  • install via sata dvd-rom on jmicron
  • After installing osx under ACHI, I could set my bios to compatible (NOT enhanced!) ide, so that my xp install works again. OSX likes compatible IDE, but not enhanced IDE.
  • I only needed audio output, so I used the first package in this topic.
  • I only needed 1 networkport, the bottom one, and this package makes it work.

xbench scores showed that my ich8r was working slow, so modifiying the following files should give you a faster working harddisk under OSX, my xbench for JUST my harddisk went from 5 to 80(!!!!!):

Edit /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist with proper IOPCIPrimaryMatch values:

add the following values (see also second post in this thread, but with the following IOPCI values):

0x28208086 0x2825086 0x28248086 0x2363197B

Edit /System/Library/Extensions/APPLEVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist with above IOPCIPrimaryMatch values.

See also the following post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=48315

That's what I used to get my shnizzle working, the only thing that I have yet to try is burning a cd/dvd under osx. I personally dont need wifi.

If my comments are too hard for you to understand, or if they simply dont work, try the following:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32426

Hope that helps.

Kiphaas7 thanks!

fyi:

i got a p5b premium vista.

works nice, but the onboard marvel is terribly slow here.

and another hint, take care while installing the soundblaster usb package my whole usb was dead.

but anyway, its a good habit to hae a backup of the kernel extensions folder :thumbsup_anim:

waiting for a working spdif out on the 1988b, that be sooo nice!

anyone made sleep mode or suspend to disk working?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

i have an asus p5b-vm motherboard.

the realtek network card works perfectly, used this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29436

i tried to use JMicron sata controller, but can't see my sata drive. i see the first partition, but the size of the second one is 0 byte and i can't see the 3rd one. i tried this http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...32019&st=20 without success.

the applehdaptacher won't work at all on my motherboard. i tried to use the codec dumb file found in suse live dvd sound library.

After installing JMicron driver, the os doesn't start at all. i see a screen : "please restart your computer. hold ..."

How can i get the information about the cause of the booting failure?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I am hoping (no praying) to flee from VISTA. I have been trying to install the 10.4.6 DVD on my P5D-DELUXE WiFi I am running off the intel SATA set to AHCI with both a SATA HD and DVD. I also have a Nvidia 8800 GTS. The DVD boots, goes to the grey apple/white background and after a few minutes I get a little "DO NOT" circle with a line through it. Am I getting hit by mobo/sata issues or is it my video card? I can say when it first boots from DVD it says vesa and 14 meg Nvidia.

Thanks,

FCat

"soon to be VISTA Ult refugee, I hope"

I to am trying very hard to get away from Vista & trying my best to install 10.4.6.   I used a SATA DVD Burner & it managed to boot up the Mac 10.4.6 disk, but I get the Circle with a line through it.  I than tried installing Mac 10.4.6 under Vmware & got it to work there, But it is very slow & stalls.  I want to install Mac on it's own with no other opperating system.

Do I need a USB external DVD burner to install Mac with this system?  

My system is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.

P5B Deluxe wifi

2 gig ram

Nvidia G7800 graphics card

320gig SATA Harddrive.

SATA DVD Burner.

anyone sucessfully installed with uphuck 1.3? i cant get it running trying various settings.

10.4.8 intel only jas works but id like to be able to use uphuck

Hi,

I was unable to install uphuck's 1.3 release as well, but the 1.2 works fine to me. The only trouble is to set up the LAN, the sound and the dual boot, like many others.

My installation options:

CPU->10.4.9 for Intel CPU

Kernel->Intel SSE3

Drivers->ATI x1x00, Azalia Audio, Realtek R1000, CORE DUO Temp

Applications->X11

Language Translations->Your mother tongue or whatever

Hope this helps you