Ubuntu overtaken by Linux Mint

Alessandro17

16 posts in this topic

There are 2 things I have really disliked for years: Ubuntu and Mr Berlusconi.

What do they have in common, you could ask?

Well,from my point of view, more than one could imagine.

Both are "not real", they had a credit they didn't really deserve.

Mr Berlusconi: long story, but his power was based, for about 17 years, on his televisions and newspapers. He was never a good politician, always empty promises.

And Ubuntu? A Linux distro like no other. They took a snapshot of Debian Unstable and then created a distro.

A distro which was: unstable and buggy. Ugly, especially at the beginning. It had absolutely nothing to stand out among other distros like Debian, OpenSUSE, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS...

But it had the support of a millionaire. You just asked and they would send as many pressed CDs as you wanted.

Well, they have fallen almost exactly at the same time. Ubuntu has just been overtaken by Mint at Distrowatch. Mr Berlusconi had to solemnly promise that he will resign by Saturday or Sunday.

Isn't life odd sometimes?

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't install Chrome on Ubuntu 11.10, that was good enough reason for me to remove it less than an hour after installation :/ (that of course and the nightmare called unity)

Nice to see some people still interested in Desktop linux though. Keep it up Alessandro :)

IMHO, Linux is an OS for advanced users, tech enthusiasts like us. Dumbing down the user experience as seen in Gnome 3 and Unity, was an attempt to get more casual users to use linux which is a big mistake seeing as how closed source, paid OSes are being advertised and shipped by OEMs. The move actually backfired, because now they neither got the casual users to switch to it, nor have they managed to hold on to the current enthusiast users. I actually stopped using linux about a year ago. Now using OS X full time.

• Like 1

IMHO, Linux is an OS for advanced users, tech enthusiasts like us. Dumbing down the user experience as seen in Gnome 3 and Unity, was an attempt to get more casual users to use linux which is a big mistake seeing as how closed source, paid OSes are being advertised and shipped by OEMs. The move actually backfired, because now they neither got the casual users to switch to it, nor have they managed to hold on to the current enthusiast users. I actually stopped using linux about a year ago. Now using OS X full time.

I still keep an eye on Linux, but I don't use it any more since I have a MacBook Pro. No Linux distro can beat OS X, especially Lion.

When I used PCs only, I still kept a Linux distro on them (and I still do), because Linux is better than Windows from many points of view (IMO).

But once you use daily the best Unix in the world, why bother with Linux?

Yesterday I tried openSUSE 12.1. I hate their KDE 4 and their Gnome 3. I could only stomach (up to a point) Xfce. But again, Lion is much better.

If necessary I could still use Debian Gnome or Mandriva/PCLinuxOS KDE.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really going to compare a Linux distro to os x because os x has gone much further than any other Linux distro has OS wise but I haven't decamped from Linux completely because I still use the BackTrack distro for my nefarious purposes and intents.

I do agree with you though on the Ubuntu thing it has really disappointed me in terms of how it used to quickly improve with each new version I find it not to be the case anymore sad to say.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The problem is,it is the age of rapid changes(it all started in the commercial projects and is influencing everything else).Changes are made just for the heck of it,the "if it works don't fix it" doesn't seem to matter anymore to anyone.The open source community is getting too torn apart,too many forks etc..Too many dissagreements,what is good and what is not,flame wars all over the place instead all just unite and make something really work.My personal choices are Debian and FreeBSD for various server purposes and i use Linux as a desktop platform strictly when i need it for the basic stuff.I think it doesn't have a future on desktops of regular people,the market is too much in Microsofts,Apples grip etc. "

No Linux distro can beat OS X, especially Lion." Depends on what you want/like/need/demand. If you are not a hardcore proprietary software user, a Linux distro can do it all IMO,for free,and fast. I personally like all OS'es..and in the end of the day,even Windows gets the job done,just a gateway to the hardware

;)

• Like 2

While I am mainly a Mac user, I like the open source idea behind Linux, and I have been using it for three years on a netbook I bought for that purpose. Ubuntu Unity was preceeded by Ubuntu Netbook Remix and then Ubuntu Netbook Edition, and both were good desktop environments for small display netbooks. I took to it instantly when UNR first came out, but didn't care so much for its standardization on all computers with the release of Unity. When 12.04 came out, I forced myself to learn it better, to prepare for a presentation I will be making to my local Linux club on Ubuntu interfaces (Unity, Gnome 3, Cinnamon, Mate). Now that I know it better, I also like it better. It lacks some of the customization options of the alternatives and requires some new ways of operating, but features like scopes and lenses make it interesting to me.

Changes are made just for the heck of it,the "if it works don't fix it" doesn't seem to matter anymore to anyone.The open source community is getting too torn apart,too many forks etc..Too many dissagreements,what is good and what is not,flame wars all over the place instead all just unite and make something really work.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I liked Linux very much at the time of KDE 3.5, I felt it was the best desktop ever. When KDE 4 was released I felt lost. Developers weren't working for their users any longer. Who remembers the "who needs users" by some KDE developers?

I wasn't by far the only one, even Linus recommended to move to Gnome. And that is what I did.

Then Gnome 3 came, another major disappointment for many.

Debian Testing offers "Gnome Classic", which is reasonably similar to Gnome 2.

Nowadays I have Debian Testing installed on my desktop, but I don't really use it. It is just an old habit (and large hard disks are cheap, LOL)

Well,it's nice to have a Linux sitting nearby anyhow hehe.I've replied on the topic of Gnome3 somewhere around and said what i had to say..No comment,even Linus moved to XFCE.You *CAN* make it look like the previous by installing the gnome-session-fallback package and adding the old indicators etc. but it's still that G3 resource-hoggy feel that you just can't shake off.But,even that fallback option won't last for long,i just hope that Gnome2 "fork" (different devs,same stuff) MATE dekstop doesn't go bust.Once,i was madly in love with the Linux world 2.And yeah,seriously,you gotta love them cheapo hard disks :)

• Like 1

Once,i was madly in love with the Linux world 2 :)

My "Linux Madness" started in 2003. I'd download every Linux distribution, including development ones. By the the time I left Britain (early 2005) I had hundreds of CDs and DVDs, plus several commercial distributions, including the beautiful SUSE Pro boxes. I made an English young man very happy.

By 2006 a new madness started: the OSx86 one :D

This one would prove much more expensive: I have built 5 desktops, all with quality components. Not to mention the MacBook Pro.

....But,even that fallback option won't last for long,i just hope that Gnome2 "fork" (different devs,same stuff) MATE dekstop doesn't go bust....

Mate has come a long way since it was first released for Mint. It seems to work very well in Ubuntu, and it gives an experience virtually identical to gnome 2. I think it will be around for a long time simply because so many people were attached to gnome 2. And you can install it alongside gnome-shell or Unity, as its packages have been renamed so as not to cause conflicts with gnome-shell.

• Like 1

I used to use Ubuntu for much long, and I liked it actually, Much lighter than windows. Until I went much further into other OSs, I figured out that Ubuntu's just nothing. It's extremely buggy (if compared to other OSs), and it's not easy to deal with. You must have a BIG experience at using their Terminal. Check out the tutorial for installing i8kfan for example, and installing the same software for Windows... I'll check Linux Mint, I won't install it though. I've had enough of Linux. Their servers are the most perfect ones, but their user side is horrible.

• Like 1

Every OS is good,it just needs a good driver.Be gratefull for what you have and get your work done.We are blessed for having such capable machines and such a diversity of software to choose from.

I figured out that Ubuntu's just nothing. It's extremely buggy (if compared to other OSs), and it's not easy to deal with.

When Ubuntu was first released, I wasn't a Linux newbie any longer. I had tried almost every single Linux distribution. That made me an Ubuntu hater from day one.

• Like 2

Mate has come a long way since it was first released for Mint. It seems to work very well in Ubuntu, and it gives an experience virtually identical to gnome 2. I think it will be around for a long time simply because so many people were attached to gnome 2.

I have installed it in Debian Testing using an external repository and it is very nice. Good job, I hope it is there to stay.

I wish enough people had done the same with KDE 3.5. The only attempt, the Trinity Desktop, doesn't seem to be very successful. They don't even have binaries for Debian Testing, which is probably the most used Debian Branch.

@trentfox Yes,im fully aware of both it's current status and the installation details,i just hope it stays on track and stays maintained for a long long time. @Alessandro ,glad you tried it/love it,i use it too on some of my boxes