Mouse Issues in VMWare with Lion

13 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have Lion running nice on VMWare Workstation 7 for the most part. I have installed the svga drivers, and patch to make the resolution fit the window. Now I'm having a couple annoyances with the mouse and wondering if anyone else is getting this...

1) Sometimes the mouse pointer in OSX is not where i'm actually pointing to. It seems like the position sometimes doesn't get updated when I move my mouse. It's most obvious when clicking menu items or files in finder, where I may be hovering over one file, but when I click, the click actually happens to the file above it, where I was hovering a second ago. Usually some extra wiggling of the mouse causes the mouse to be in the right place, but it's annoying especially when you're clicking things around very quickly!

2) I've found that if I'm clicking and dragging a window to move it, If I drag outside the VMWare window, then let go of the mouse button, once I move my mouse back into the vmware window, it thinks my mouse button is still being held down, so I am still moving the window around despite having released the button. This one is kinda funny as I've not found a way to get out of it without powering off the virtual machine :)

Anyone else seeing this, or is there something i'm missing? Thanks!

In another post it was suggested to use IOHIDFamily.kext from 10.7.0 to address the weird mouse 'lag' (if you can call it that)... I can confirm this fixes that particular issue for me, which was the most annoying one, however the other issues that end up forcing a restart are still present...

I have the same issue, mouse focus lags behind actual mouse movement, using IOHIDFamily.kext from 10.7 didn't help.

I found connect the USB mouse directly to the guest OS makes user experience a bit better, still mouse movement is a little weird not a perfect solution

I have the same issue, mouse focus lags behind actual mouse movement, using IOHIDFamily.kext from 10.7 didn't help.

I found connect the USB mouse directly to the guest OS makes user experience a bit better, still mouse movement is a little weird not a perfect solution

Going to have to assume you did a proper kext install/repair?

Sorry, I'm a newbie to the mac virtual machine world, use the IOHIDFamily.kext from 10.7 does work, I just don't know how to install it. Once it's installed it works perfectly

Here is a video explain what to do for any other newbie who don't know what to do. Apparently it's not as simple as copy and paste :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4kP1SR_Jxk

Sorry, I'm a newbie to the mac virtual machine world, use the IOHIDFamily.kext from 10.7 does work, I just don't know how to install it. Once it's installed it works perfectly

I updated my kext folder as well but the issue with the mouse buttons seems to be altogether different.

To replicate this problem, try resizing your dock. While your left mouse button is held down, drag outside of your screen. When you bring your mouse back, you'll notice the mouse button is stuck and the dock is stuck in resize mode.

Are folks still experiencing this problem or has it gone away?

Yes, I'm also experiencing this problem.

What happens is this:

If you move the mouse cursor along either the X or Y axis in a completely straight line the mouse position isn't updated.

When I move the cursor over the red close button on a window in a straight line, the 'X' that appears on mouse over doesn't show. I have to move the cursor at least one pixel on the opposite axis for the mouse over event to be recognized.

Could someone please upload the working IOHIDFamily.kext file somewhere? :wacko:

• 8 months later...