Macbook install problem.

exuptoy

3 posts in this topic

Recently purchased a secondhand 1181A macbook 13 running a fully updated tiger 10.4.11 after building my dual boot MSI Wind u100 netbook about a year ago and getting a flavour of Mac.

The problem I have is I am not that good with terminal commands inless I have instructions.

I have updated the Mac as far as I am able but still cannot run iTunes10 etc. I did purchase 10.5.2 update disks from fleebay but I am unable to run them as when it gets to the installer language page it fails with the message unable to install on this mac (after the firmware test I assume).

Does anyone have a link where I will be able to download and install an upgrade or retail copy of 10.5 (or higher) or is it just a case of wiping my HD to allow the disks to install.

I did read in the Apple KB that if there is already a volume there containing osx that it will fail. I think I have a GUID partition not the PPC one as it is an intel machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just another thought, How ironic would it be to be able to boot the mac using the install discs from a u100 running Snowywind. However the u100 does not have firewire to link the 2 together.

Is that an issue, can it be done?

I do have a formac dual layer external firewire DVD burner if someone can advise what I need to do to these discs to bypass the hardware check/

Just found this, would it work obviously substituting 10/5/8 for 10.4.11 and 10.6.0 for 10.5.2 to allow my install discs to run?

"It is so much easier just to edit the plist that Installer.app reads:

sudo pico /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

Change, e.g.,

<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>

<string>10.5.8</string>

<key>ProductVersion</key>

<string>10.5.8</string>

to

<string>10.6</string>

<string>10.6</string>

if you want to fool Installer.app into thinking you have OS 10.6."

Mine shows.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>

<string>8S2167</string>

<key>ProductCopyright</key>

<string>1983-2007 Apple Inc.</string>

<key>ProductName</key>

<string>Mac OS X</string>

<string>10.4.11</string>

<string>10.4.11</string>

</dict>

</plist>

What should I replace this with and would it work?

The disc shows the product as AHT Version (build number maybe?) 3A131 should the second line show 3A131 and the visible version and product version show 10.5.2?

If so, how do I modify and save the plist file?

Found out how to modify the .plist but it has made no difference. I changed the version to 10.5.2 and tried various build numbers to no avail.

Can anyone help?

What else does the installation check try to verify? I have already changed the build number and version to match the dvd but it still fails.