{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

Has anyone gotten 3-finger-slide to work? I found one version of VoodooPS2 kext which plays a ping when you 3-finger-slide, but no action is performed.

Also, I have an n5110 with an nVidia card (and an intel 3000). I get that nVidia will never be supported and that I'll never be able to use HDMI because of it, but is there a way to output 1080p via VGA? Has anyone tried it? Any guide? Starting the computer with VGA plugged or resuming from sleep with it plugged does nothing. Is that also an exclusive feature of Intel-only machines?

Of course, my computer is running Mavericks 10.9.2, installed following the latest guide (BIOS, not UEFI).

Has anyone gotten 3-finger-slide to work? I found one version of VoodooPS2 kext which plays a ping when you 3-finger-slide, but no action is performed.

Indeed there is an action, go to system prefs -> keyboard -> shortcuts, assign a keyboard shortcut BUT dont hit any key, just slide three fingers up and see what happens.

I think that the trackpad driver cant communicate right with the trackpad.prefpane.

here is a scenario:

1. The trackpad.prefpane detects what type of trackpad is connected.
  2. If a multigesture trackpad is detected then.
  3. Trackpad has gestures enabled and up to three finger gestures go through the trackpad.prefpane
  4. which then converts them into appropriate "Mission Control" commands.

But I guess on our case its:

1. Our multi-gesture Trackpad detected as a TWO-finger trackpad, non-gesture.
  2. The mousepad is treated as a twofinger trackpad
  3. so when a multigesture event occurs, there is no trackpad.prefpane to treat the event
  4. So the system receives a keystroke

Thats my really "raw" thoughts of what may happen, I am not a OS expert, just simple assumptions

how did you make your HDMI work ? do you have glitches on screen ? / does it work plug and play, or you must restart you OS with hdmi cable plugged ?

Please share us your 'secret' :)

There is no "secret" if you have hd3000 only it will work if you follow the guide, if you have nvidia, i think the HDMI is via that, so will not work.

I know others have via working, but if thats nvidia models or not, I could not tell you.

Hi,

For all of you who have dell n5110.

I found a kext on the internet for alps touchpad but it had glitches and the mouse movement wasn't feeling ok, and the scroll didn't have momentul scroll and from time to time when I switched from vertical to horizontal i got strange chars in my text editor.

Now I have managed to make some changes in RehabMan VoodoooPS2Controller kext and got those thing working.

I will be more than happy if any of you could try this out and give me feedback.

RehabMan-Voodoo-2014-0418.zip

• Like 1

Hi,

For all of you who have dell n5110.

I found a kext on the internet for alps touchpad but it had glitches and the mouse movement wasn't feeling ok, and the scroll didn't have momentul scroll and from time to time when I switched from vertical to horizontal i got strange chars in my text editor.

Now I have managed to make some changes in RehabMan VoodoooPS2Controller kext and got those thing working.

I will be more than happy if any of you could try this out and give me feedback.

Is good, but VoodooPS2Daemon don`t work. This trackpad is ALPS. Work very well

Three finger gesture is somehow detected if I assign a shortcut for it. However Trackpad panel doesn't have the option for three finger gestures. Another glitch is tilde key (under esc) doesn't work it types § normally and ± when shift key is used.

Tilda vs canadian dollar is a bug that I am aware of, but didn't found a fix yet.

Three finger / four finger gesture just trigers a set o keys - go to keyboard shortcuts and edit a shortcut then swipe up/down/right/left with 3 or 4 fingers.

This is how VoodooPS2Controller works.

I'm working on some stuff right now to change the events from 3/four fingers swipe with proper code to open mission control instead of sending a set of keys which must be mapped to mission control, but I need to call objective c functions from cpp.. well I will keep you posted..

As you can see in one page back, I said that I made some changes to your code, and got some things working. When testing will be over I will make a pull request on github.

If this is not ok I will delete my posts.

That is great (pull request)... But according to the license, a link the the source should accompany each release of the binary.

Also, I would appreciate you using a different name for the ZIP, so as not to confuse people as to the developer of the particular build. For example, radu.m.toader-Voodoo-2014-0424.zip instead of RehabMan-Voodoo-2014-0424 which implies it came from me.

Thanks!