{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

Nice work Florin9doi - I can really see some great strides being made here.

Sadly I have the Cypress Touchpad on the 15z, which works with the generic driver but not your code. Any ideas on how to add the specific HW functionality into your kext for Cypress as well?

Regardless - great work on getting the 15r touchpad upto Mac functionality!

Thank you Mohamed for the guide because it really made everything easier for me! Everything in the guide applies for the 17 inch model (N7110) which I have and the only thing you should watch out for is the DSDT. You must patch your DSDT to support the resolutions higher than the 15 inch model, otherwise you won't see the screen. Here is the patched DSDT for N7110.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9ayy6rouc1a12q8

Specs of the N7110 I used:

Intel Core i5 2410M

4GB DDR3 RAM

500 GB Seagate (dunno which model)

Intel HD 3000 + NVIDIA GeForce 525M

I am not entirely sure if FakeSMC from this guide works, last time I tried it resulted in panic, but that may be because I used Niresh's distro. I used that distro because it had most of the drivers needed already, but this guide should be good as well.

Enjoy ML on your N7110! :)

EDIT: If necessary, I will add the lines you're supposed to add and which you should remove in the DSDT.

Can anybody write short manual, "How to make dual-boot on n5110 with OS X and Windows 8"?

I have got a problem with updating my official windows 7 to windows 8 pro, and i want to reinstall OS and create partitions on my hdd from 0.

After some windows 7 updates my charmelion stop working. Freeze after boot1: done. Any solution ? Boot from pendrive not work either

i had the same problem. use the installer flash disk (boot from it) start OS X from hdd. then use chameleon wizard to reinstall bootloader.

• Like 1

Boot up windows 8, download and install neosmart's BCD (free for home use), now go to "BCD Deployment" part, choose your windows 8 partition and click install BCD you should see a prompt after that, click yes when you see it!

After that make sure the radio button near install windows vista/7 bootloader to the MBR is checked then click write MBR

go to add new entry, you should add 2 things, in the windows tab, grab windows vista/7 from the list and choose its partition's letter and also name it whatever you like (you will see it just like you name it when you boot your PC)

Now for mac, also name it whatever you like and for the mode make sure it is MBR!!

Go to "Edit Boot Menu Section" and make sure everything is okay, remember if you screwed up, you should be able to repair startup using a windows CD/DVD

if you restarted now, possibly mac won't boot up, to fix that, check post #762 in page 39 from this topic, ironically you wrote that post lol :thumbsup_anim:

you may have to mess with making partitions active and such, can't remember how I have done that part but it won't be that hard if you have a windows CD/DVD or even windows installation on a flash memory, going to repair options and using the CMD is the best and easiest way

For some reason, that boot menu doesn't open up if you left your laptop off for a day or so as it just boots in windows 8, however you can still hold the power button when you encounter windows 8 booting logo, turn on your laptop again and you will see that boot menu you have customized

Anyway this method is ideal if you prefer to use windows booting loader, I personally do this because its not only me who use that laptop and of course those who use it are familiar with windows bootloader :P

if you just want to use chameleon, I don't think you should do anything more than installing it to your mac partition and making it the active partition in your HDD

hello Mohamed and hello all:)..i have a successful dual boot (windows 7+Lion) since a year..although the lion is a hackintosh but it's very stable till now and the windows became very heavy and need to be re installed..the question is..if i reinstalled windows only lion will be affected and kernal panicked?..i don't want a kernel panic because all my work is there :)

hello Mohamed and hello all:)..i have a successful dual boot (windows 7+Lion) since a year..although the lion is a hackintosh but it's very stable till now and the windows became very heavy and need to be re installed..the question is..if i reinstalled windows only lion will be affected and kernal panicked?..i don't want a kernel panic because all my work is there :)

Only thing that may get affected is booting, if you used easybcd then there is no problem, if you use chameleon, then after installing windows, you may have to install easybcd, or check post #762 in page 38 :P

you won't have panics, your problem will be booting to your hackintosh

Hi everyone,

I have a toshiba bt mouse. i tried to pair it to my dell n5110 on 10.8.2. But after getting connected it gets disconnected immediately and gives me erro. But if I connect this mouse to macbook it works fine. can anyone help me?