{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

I have completed modding the n5110 bios for advanced menus, if anyone wants to download my bios feel free, I hold no responsibility for anything that may happen of course, but it works great on mine with all the additional menus. 

I am trying to figure out the uefi variant they have here on the site, when i get that done i will add that to my drive. untill then i just have the n5110_420m bios mod and i have the default a11 bios both modded with additional menus. if anyone would like something else for the n5110, possibly overclocked nvidia options i can produce them as well, and will probably be uploaded to my google drive when i am done with them. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Z-qdEngKj2flpxcEQ2QzJsTGV3T0VKWWFyOEFaU3NGYVZzU29aTU9NU0JFRUFFNHlyNWc&authuser=0

Again if you flash this to your computer you are expecting it to break, it works for me, doesnt mean it will work for everyone

• Like 1

I have completed modding the n5110 bios for advanced menus, if anyone wants to download my bios feel free, I hold no responsibility for anything that may happen of course, but it works great on mine with all the additional menus. 

I am trying to figure out the uefi variant they have here on the site, when i get that done i will add that to my drive. untill then i just have the n5110_420m bios mod and i have the default a11 bios both modded with additional menus. if anyone would like something else for the n5110, possibly overclocked nvidia options i can produce them as well, and will probably be uploaded to my google drive when i am done with them. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Z-qdEngKj2flpxcEQ2QzJsTGV3T0VKWWFyOEFaU3NGYVZzU29aTU9NU0JFRUFFNHlyNWc&authuser=0

Again if you flash this to your computer you are expecting it to break, it works for me, doesnt mean it will work for everyone

Might be worth quoting the exact spec of your laptop, and perhaps a link to the original un-modified bios for people to check against there own machine first..

I assume this laptop doesn't have 2nd bios for backup of failure?

A perfect modded bios would be built on Latest Stock A11 -> UEFI+IDTfix+AdvancedMenus

(IDT audio not detected by motherboard/Device manager is a UEFI w8.1 issue - still has no fix -

here is an example fix by Dell for a different laptop model: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverid=G10JR)

• Like 2

A perfect modded bios would be built on Latest Stock A11 -> UEFI+IDTfix+AdvancedMenus

(IDT audio not detected by motherboard/Device manager is a UEFI w8.1 issue - still has no fix -

here is an example fix by Dell for a different laptop model: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverid=G10JR)

I have the UEFI+AdvancedMenus, i am working on the IDT audio problem as well. I just wanted to help the community a little bit more if i could.

System Specs:

Core i7 2670QM

Nvidia 525m

8gb ram

WD Black Dual Drive

N5110A11+420m+Advanced Menus bios

• Like 1

can someone please help me. i installed yosemite using the guide and have tried to use switchresx but i cant get a secondary monitor to work via hdmi or vga. when i plug the monitor into either hdmi or vga nothing happens?

Guys, I did some tweaks to the VoodooPS2Controller.kext based on some ALPS reverse engineering notes I found and the results are beautiful.

- Improved acceleration, scrolling, and fixed the jumpy pointer. Finally!!!

Give it a try. I'm sure you'll LOVE IT :)

Please tell me what you think.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

• Like 1

Guys, I did some tweaks to the VoodooPS2Controller.kext based on some ALPS reverse engineering notes I found and the results are beautiful.

- Improved acceleration, scrolling, and fixed the jumpy pointer. Finally!!!

Give it a try. I'm sure you'll LOVE IT :)

Please tell me what you think.

I can see that this is based on my version...

Please publish your changes to the source at your own github fork.

It is a requirement of the APSL (license).

• Like 1

I can see that this is based on my version...Please publish your changes to the source at your own github fork.It is a requirement of the APSL (license).

I didn't change anything in the source. Didn't need to!!

The only changes I made were to the ALPS profile in the trackpad's info.plist (specifically acceleration and z pressure).

This laptop's touchpad is extremely sensitive and needs a much higher z value to stabilize the pointer on tapping. 124 to be precise. Otherwise, the pointer jumps a few mm to cms on lifting finger off touchpad making tap-to-click unusable!!

I used bpedman's precompiled kext as a base (since its the only one that works with this laptop!!)

I didn't change anything in the source. Didn't need to!!

The only changes I made were to the ALPS profile in the trackpad's info.plist (specifically acceleration and z pressure).

This laptop's touchpad is extremely sensitive and needs a much higher z value to stabilize the pointer on tapping. 124 to be precise. Otherwise, the pointer jumps a few mm to cms on lifting finger off touchpad making tap-to-click unusable!!

I used bpedman's precompiled kext as a base (since its the only one that works with this laptop!!)

Current version is in bpedman_merge branch in my repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

Not sure if it works, as no one is committed to developing/testing it...

Maybe all the settings got wiped out of Info.plist at some point? Or they were never present in bpedman's version?

Current version is in bpedman_merge branch in my repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-ControllerNot sure if it works, as no one is committed to developing/testing it...Maybe all the settings got wiped out of Info.plist at some point? Or they were never present in bpedman's version?

I worked with bpedman a long time ago merging some of the code from Linux into your driver and tweaking/debugging. It never really worked that well and then bpedman left (gave up?)..

I don't remember the kext having ever had any settings for ALPS. (bpedman hardcoded some stuff instead, if I remember correctly).

I worked with bpedman a long time ago merging some of the code from Linux into your driver and tweaking/debugging. It never really worked that well and then bpedman left (gave up?)..

I don't remember the kext having ever had any settings for ALPS. (bpedman hardcoded some stuff instead, if I remember correctly).

The settings for ALPS are probably hardcoded into the defaults inside the code, but as you found out you can put them in Info.plist.

The version at my repo is bpedman's version, but merged into current sources. Since I don't have the hardware, no testing... Someone with some dev experience can build it, test it, and fix what needs fixing (and provide changes via github fork).

• Like 1

The settings for ALPS are probably hardcoded into the defaults inside the code, but as you found out you can put them in Info.plist.The version at my repo is bpedman's version, but merged into current sources. Since I don't have the hardware, no testing... Someone with some dev experience can build it, test it, and fix what needs fixing (and provide changes via github fork).

Perhaps I'll do that later!! :)

Perhaps I'll do that later!! :)

Assuming you have Xcode installed... in Terminal:

cd ~
mkdir Projects
cd Projects
git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller.git ps2.git
cd ps2.git
git checkout bpedman_merge
make
make distribute
open Distribute
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming you have Xcode installed... in Terminal:

cd ~
mkdir Projects
cd Projects
git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller.git ps2.git
cd ps2.git
git checkout bpedman_merge
make
make distribute
open Distribute

Hi...my installation was ok , everything worked well but I had to change the n5110 palmrest and my touchpad does not work anymore , I installed some kexts and the only one that worked was that one, but it did not work the scrollling ... how do I get back to normal? I still use Mavericks and please...sorry my english.