Intel HD Graphics GMA 5700

LowRidinCrew

66 posts in this topic

Yes this is the reason for donations, but a couple of people complained and someone posted another option..to donate to a prize pot for the person who does solve the problem. I however vote for the test laptop for alex i think htis will be the quickest means to an end. So what does everybody want to do.

I can accept the "test laptop" option better than the "prize pot" one.

well that settles it then ill be collecting donations for a test laptop. ill get a paypal setup this afternoon, and post the info on here. If you would like to donate then by all means please do. If you don't wan to please don't post negative remarks that might disparage others

Hi ladies and gents..sorry had a busy few days..the donation email is

Gma5700.2@gmail.com

I will keep a list of who donated and how much just so we know. and to thank everyone..though the solution if we get enough donations and Alex is successfull will be released to the public..

Now lets get this done..

i spoke to alex about this and he said that things in Australia cost twice as much as in the states so what we would save in shipping we would lose in cost plus some. Apparently shipping plus a laptop from the states is still cheaper then just the laptop in Australiay.

i spoke with him about the process involed in reverse engineering the kext its extremely time consuming and involves de-soldering of chips and all sorts of stuff i think if he is successful we should let him keep the laptop for all his efforts. He is donating allot of time it only seems fair. However if he isnt successfull then we can look at selling it so that we can all get our money back. That seems fair to me.

This is not his demand it is my thoughts.. I have not even asked him about it, though he said he is lurking the forum just not talking cause it caused so much strife last time

Not a new user but been away awhile; only lurking.

Is this thread partly a discussion as to why it most likely does not work and how to get it working from a hobbyist perspective, or is it just reserved to those seeking a solution and willing to pay for it?

I'm a bit more interested in the former, and I've only seen two threads that seem to look at things from that perspective but no active work arounds, or mention of workarounds.

While I own several Macs from old Powerbooks and G4s to a modern Intel MacMini and Macbook, I do have a PC with this build.

It's an HP G72-B60 with Intel Core i3, 4GB RAM and GMA5700 that for kicks/increasing my knowledge I installed OSX on to see if it was possible (I've done it before a few years back, with different desktop HW) and potentially figure out if other devices with undefined driver support can be made to work with my existing "real" Macs.

Since I decided to use a copy of 10.6 I bought it was a bit harder than I anticipated; apparently there is a later Snow Leopard retail disk that has 10.6.x updates. I went with what I bought and eventually I got it to work.

Everything works save for the traditional culprits: NIC, Broadcom wireless/bluetooth combo PCIe card and accelerated video. The Broadcom combo card is intriguing to me, because I'd like to use it elsewhere.

Regarding the video, since there are no Core based Macs that ship with GMA5700 as the sole video accelerator this seems a bit difficult, but I don't see the need to go through buying laptops and such.

I know I'm rehashing a bit, but the signaling that I see when loading the IntelHDGraphics.kext files leads me to believe that the timing expected is different, and this can be changed without hardware modification. It's a matter of changing definitions in the kexts.

There's a few paths here:

-Using the released Intel sources and Xcode, compile a driver and then bind that appropriately to the upper layers of the OS.

-Bypass the accelerated co-dependency on the Nvidia within the existing Intel HD driver

-Find a substitute kext/driver that will provide similar if not complete functionality.

You don't need to disassemble anything to do any of these, because the hardware that is causing the problem is not present. you just need to identify the call to the absent hardware.

Since most of you have the affected laptop architecture, and there are two expansive threads that begin to explore how that works, I'm at a loss why there hasn't been more of an effort to get this done for the challenge of doing it, versus expecting a handed over end result.

However, if you know of an active thread or users willing to toss in on that effort, I might throw in on that.

Their was a very long 67 page thread on this forum that recently got shut down. Most of the users in this thread are what are left over. The end result was that we needed a kext to be written and the only person from that thread with the know how and was offering to help doesn't have a gma5700 so what the money is for is to purchase a test laptop that he can try to get it to work.

Most people on here are down for trying out different things, the previously mentioned thread is at

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223754

you should read it cause a lot of stuff has already been tried, so that way you know what has and hasn't been tried cause you seem to know what your talking about. I will go on collecting donations but if you have anything new to add and we can get it working then i will refund the money at that time.

Edit:

oh and i know that allot of us have optimus laptops that have an nvidia card too but it is headless and cant run without the intelHD. Hope this helps some.

-Using the released Intel sources and Xcode, compile a driver and then bind that appropriately to the upper layers of the OS.

If you have the source of IntelHDGraphicsFB I will help you to modify it. The thing is that Apple do not give source of device drivers for GPUs on opensource.apple.com.

-Bypass the accelerated co-dependency on the Nvidia within the existing Intel HD driver

There is no co-dependency of IntelHDGraphicsFB to NVidia.

-Find a substitute kext/driver that will provide similar if not complete functionality.

Good luck with that. Intel changes GPU registers on every new card. Just take a look at linux source for i915 GPU drivers.

You don't need to disassemble anything to do any of these, because the hardware that is causing the problem is not present. you just need to identify the call to the absent hardware.

The only thing that references both Intel and Nvidia is GMUX controller kext - AppleGraphicsControl.kext.

ok guys heres the daily update, were still holding firm at 30.00. i just emailed all the original donators and let them know, incase they weren't on here, that this forum is here and that we are again trying to take donations. Hope everyone had a good vetrans day ;)

Hello, I will donate ASAP , the thing is that when i got paid from work i just forget about this, but believeme, i want that kext!!!! :) just like everybody else! so, dont let this thread down, and thnx to everybody envolved!

Thanks for re-posting on tonymac..Daily update 30.00, i thought the email to the original donators would have helped. I m sure it will work out i have faith, and i really dont want to buy a new laptop as im sure all of u dont either.

Hey guys I'm running the 5700, last time I checked custom resolution wasn't possible. I'm running 1024x768, is there a way to increase this? Also does HDMI output work?

Also I'll be more then willing to donate some money when a working kext is out, as long as I got custom resolution or at least can output to my TV then I'd be more then willing to donate $20 bucks into your pocket via paypal!

custom resolution is not possible without a frame buffer kext which is what needs to be written. However the only person volunteering to write the kext does not have access to a gma 5700, precisely what the donations are for. We need enough donations to purchase a test laptop so that he can write the kext. As of today their is still only 30.00 in donations.