Video Display Goes Dead When Updating To Snow Leopard 10.6.3+?

cravendc5

3 posts in this topic

I have a gigabyte ud-3 board, intel core i7 920 nehalem 3gb ddr3 1600 mhz.

I currently have 10.6.2 installed, and i have a DVI to HDMI plug on the back of the video card, and then i plug the HDMI cable into my samsung HD 1080p monitor.

I am running a nVidia 8800GT video card.

My problem is if i update to 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 then reboot, it shows the white mac logo loading and then it goes to a black screen when going to the desktop, the display never comes back.

Can this problem be fixed by just using a DVI to DVI wire? I heard that using the HDMI wire causes the problem.

If that is not the case what about trying 10.6.8? or maybe going up to lion and updating my "Kakewalk" boot software. Kakewalk released v4, and i think i have 3.0.

Also what about the nVidia 285GTX would that solve the problem?

I am just trying to figure out exactly what it is.

Can you provide a little bit more information about the ports on the back of your video card? You say that you have a DVI port with a HDMI adapter plugged into it with the monitor plugged into that. Do you have 1 other port or 2 other ports? If so, what sort of ports are they? In my experience, a black screen on a hackintosh that is otherwise booting to desktop is a symptom of a video card that is routing video to someplace other than where you have your monitor plugged in.

I've had this experience with my ATI 4850 card, and solved it by plugging a DVI->VGA adapter (with nothing plugged into that) and a monitor plugged into the other DVI port.

Do you get video if you boot in safe mode with -x? Or never get it at all? You may also want to do a boot with the -v flag to see at what point you lose video.

1765182[/url]']

Can you provide a little bit more information about the ports on the back of your video card? You say that you have a DVI port with a HDMI adapter plugged into it with the monitor plugged into that. Do you have 1 other port or 2 other ports? If so, what sort of ports are they? In my experience, a black screen on a hackintosh that is otherwise booting to desktop is a symptom of a video card that is routing video to someplace other than where you have your monitor plugged in.

I've had this experience with my ATI 4850 card, and solved it by plugging a DVI->VGA adapter (with nothing plugged into that) and a monitor plugged into the other DVI port.

Do you get video if you boot in safe mode with -x? Or never get it at all? You may also want to do a boot with the -v flag to see at what point you lose video.

There is 2 dvi ports total, nothing else. I had a dvi to hdmi plug and then plugged the monitor in with hdmi. OSX will load til it gets to the screen right before the desktop, that's where the screen loads and flashes it goes blank for a split second and then it shows the blue screen and then shows the dock.

If I update my snow leopard to 10.6.3 or anything over than 10.6.2 it will not go past that flash. Once the OSX boots up and it goes to the blue screen it flashes and then it just stays on the blue screen.

It just stays ok the blue screen almost as if it was the secondary monitor, like on a two monitor display the secondary monitor always is just a plain background.