Reasons for selling a Hackintosh?

x86now

10 posts in this topic

I'm noticing people selling off what looks like perfectly good OSX86 machines to get a slower, more expensive, genuine Mac. Why are people doing this? Is it because it is being used at work and everything has to be legit?

Because eventually a lot of people like to stop messing around with keeping things running and getting updates and the such. It is much nicer to have an actual Apple made Mac then a homebrew rig. Doesn't take the fun out of it, it's just the way it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Before I installed Mac OS X86, I never wanted a mac, I didn't even think about one. I am using it, and really really want a Macbook Pro or a Mac Mini.

I'm not really sure why, it's pretty much the same thing, but a real mac has a better graphics card than my computer and it runs games alot faster.

• 3 weeks later...

Apple updates don't seem to make much difference it would seem. So you could go many months between them. And one can always get an OS x86 compatible video card that is good, can't you? Are there any other reasons or am I missing something there? I certainly don't find Apple hardware very well made. Sure its pretty, but when you really tear it apart and analyse it, there seems to be many tradeoffs from function to style.

To clarify, there seems to be many tradeoffs that take away functionality for the benefit of style. Just my opinion in owning a G4 tower and a Mini. Both seemed to be poorly laid out with lousy designs for cooling. As I understand cooling and noise more and more, Apple hardware designs are looking worse and worse. So it would nice to have more control in the hardware area which the OS x86 thing gives you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not really considering buying one at the moment.

Why?

Here in Europe Macs are still very expensive.

The 17 inches iMacs and the Mac Pros are the possible exceptions.

However an iMac is not the kind of computer I have in mind.

Mac Pros are beautiful, but they badly need some upgrades, especially RAM, which is dreadfully expensive.

If Apple released a mid-range Conroe desktop, easy to upgrade, I'd seriously consider it.

However I don't think they'll do it. People would very soon realize that they are much better value (and possibly faster) than Pros. So their sales of Pros would drop drammatically.

Another reason for not buying a Mac is that I want to retain the ability to install *every* OS which runs on a PC.

Because OS X is the only OS to use EFI so far, installing other OSes would range from mildly annoying to impossible.

On the other hand, installing OS X on a hackintosh is very easy, provided you bought all the right hardware.

(Thanks of course to JaS and all the other developers)

• 3 months later...

I plan on getting a macbook in the future when they have the newer LED screens and upgrade from the gma950 to i think the x3000. Even then I'll keep my hackintosh kicking, runs better than a vista system on the same hardware in my opinion. When it's too old for that I'll convert it into hacked appleTV module for the living room (i figure by that point in time someone will have hacked the os that appletv has for my system to use).