[Asus U36SD] - a few dsdt questions

alianyn

140 posts in this topic

I've managed to installed 10.10 and it seems to be working great.

Steps (this is not a detailed guide :)):

• Prepared usb installer (using www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-yosemite/). It was a little more complicated than usual because extracting the kernel file required a specific version of pacifist).
  • Chameleon Enoch R2403 
  • @alianyn dsdt
  • Patched installer to install on mbr.
  • Removed Nvidia Kexts.
  • Usual kexts for a  10.10 usb installer (NullCPUPowerManagement, etc)
Results:

• Sound: was not working ok:, so I needed to install voodohda. Is not working perfect but is good enough.
  • Battery: Worke with https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Battery-Driver.
  • Wifi: Was not working initially, so I needed to add device id in AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist 
  • Power management: used ssdtPRGen to generate SSDT, DropSSDT=yes, GenerateCStates=No, GeneratePStates=No, removed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip. Everything seems to be working ok, but I feel that the cpus are too hot, something like 60C idle... Any hints on how to verify if this is working correctly?

Hello everyone. I read this thread and thanks to you I have OSX installed on my U36SD.

post-13990-0-18025600-1414232905_thumb.png

I only need to have the HDMI and VGA output function. Does anyone has succeeded in Yosemite?

My installation is made with Clover and everything works perfectly (Wireless,QE/CI, LAN, USB3.0, Audio, FN Keys, battery, etc.), I use DSDT from @alianyn. I attach a file with all used kext and my config.plist. I have a U36SD-RX057X

Thank you!

UPDATE: VGA and HDMI done! I attach new version of file, with config.plist necessary for that and new SSDT file with turbo modes enabled. Next step: optimus (very important for battery life..), bluetooth, webcam and internal mic and all ok!

UPDATE 2: Internal mic works with last version of VoodooHDA (v2.8.7)  :thumbsup_anim:

Hi again.

I disabled Optimus completely. The battery has won 1:30h and the laptop runs cooler. Great news! 

Attached the new DSDT

I need bluetooth and webcam to have 100% operational laptop, any help? ;)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tada, i get everything works on my asus u36sd-rx244 yosemite except for SSDT (need a good guide to learn about this)

boot only with kext_dev = 1

bluetooth works with IONetworkFamily.kext from javipm

wifi works with editing info.plist inside AirPortAtheros40.kext inside IO80211Family.kext

QE/CI works with either javipm or radagb clover config.plist

audio (internal mic+speaker, external speaker; hdmi, externel mic not tested yet) works with modded AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext for 10.8.3

Card Reader works automatically

USB3 works with GenericUSBXHCI.kext

Webcam works automatically and with a glitch, its like using webcam with really slow refresh rate.

TouchPad and Keyboard works using kext from javipm

DSDT from alianyn

Not using SSDT.aml, but speed step works with 5 step: 8, 11, 14, 18, 22

FakeSMC.kext....why you so important :hammer:

• 2 months later...

Hi again.

I disabled Optimus completely. The battery has won 1:30h and the laptop runs cooler. Great news! 

Attached the new DSDT

I need bluetooth and webcam to have 100% operational laptop, any help? ;)

Hi Javi, Im trying to download your attachment dsdt and kexts but isn't possible, always an error..

Could you send me a valid link? or say me where i can find it? please 

• 2 months later...

I want to thank you all for all the hard work and research you have done about our laptop. Without it I couldn't install Mac OS X, for sure !!

ATM I've installed Yosemite on my u36sd-rx227x (i5 2430M). However I'm facing differents problems (I installed all kext from javipm and his "original" dsdt, not the one without optimus, because with this dsdt my laptop can't hibernate or even shutdown at all.

I edited io8211 for Wi-Fi, install clover in ESP with drop OEM ssdt, c state and p state enable (I didn't use ssdt file) and not emulate nvram driver . However I feel like I've got a poor battery life (about 3h it says from 100%). My CPU oscillating around 55-65°C.

Is all this normal ?

Plus Yosemite can't recognize my card reader or use BT, my webcam keeps power off and "reboot" (in photo booth for example) and is upside down.

Sometimes USB 3.0 port works sometimes not...and at every start, brightness is at the lower state.

Can you help me with all my problems ??

Thank you !

And I repeat : thank you all for the work you have done

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I want to thank you all for all the hard work and research you have done about our laptop. Without it I couldn't install Mac OS X, for sure !!

ATM I've installed Yosemite on my u36sd-rx227x (i5 2430M). However I'm facing differents problems (I installed all kext from javipm and his "original" dsdt, not the one without optimus, because with this dsdt my laptop can't hibernate or even shutdown at all.

I edited io8211 for Wi-Fi, install clover in ESP with drop OEM ssdt, c state and p state enable (I didn't use ssdt file) and not emulate nvram driver . However I feel like I've got a poor battery life (about 3h it says from 100%). My CPU oscillating around 55-65°C.

Is all this normal ?

Plus Yosemite can't recognize my card reader or use BT, my webcam keeps power off and "reboot" (in photo booth for example) and is upside down.

Sometimes USB 3.0 port works sometimes not...and at every start, brightness is at the lower state.

Can you help me with all my problems ??

Thank you !

And I repeat : thank you all for the work you have done

About battery life, i got an error in battery indicator. It saysbmay battery is broken. I think this is related to AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext and battery.kext (i'm not remember the exact kext name). My cpu temperature showing the same degree as yours.

I've got no problem with card reader. For Bluetooth, it has to be enabled from the last booting windows. Otherwise, it will not be enabled on OS X. For brightness, i prefer dim display rather than brigth. But in my case, everytime the display go sleep, when i wake it up the display going bright automatically.

I've working usb3 (see my post). For webcam its always be upside down, because of the way of the camera installation.

Hi,

I can't get wifi working on 10.10. Some of you mention that you need to change IO80211Family.kext, but i don't understand how to do that. Could you help me?

Find IO80211Family.kext, right click -> show package content. You should find AirPortAtheros40.kext. Repeat the process to AirPortAtheros40.kext then you should find info.plist you need to edit with textedit or nano or text editor that you like. Add your wifi modem devid.

• 3 weeks later...

its been a long time since the last time visit this site.

still 4 primary mbr in asus u36sd, with xp,win7pro,osx86,data with chameleon bootloader for selecting windows and osx, and easybcd for selecting windows 7 and xp.

last night i try windows 10 install. it can't installed on second primary....want gpt blah blah...

any clue?

perhaps i must format the hdd again, changing to uefi / gpt instead mbr and recheck the ssdt dsdt again.

omg..i forgot whole the osx86 installation... ^_^

Edit: i done today..

install windows 10, while maintaning others partition (upgrade from windows 7 pro that bought finally quite legal).

i ghosted windows 7pro just in case want to go back. (nice to 2 have 2 license win7 and win10  :thumbsup_anim: )

i can't install directly via upgrade.."something happen" maybe ms cant understand my partition mbr config   :)

the uefi, it's because it restart the win10 usb installer using uefi mode.

it should restrated using no uefi, (uefi off on bios), maybe need to rename also folder efi to efi.old and bootmgr.efi to bootmgr.efi.old at win10 usb installer, press esc to pick usb win10 boot non uefi mode.

before that, i need the "Digital Entitlement" aka wizard upgrade key to eligible activated windows 10.

Due can't upgrade automatically from windows 7 screen. i need to use for to get that key using gatherosstate.exe from win10 usb installer.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/64770-How-to-upgrade-from-W7-8-1-without-going-through-the-complete-upgrade-process

I got the GenuineTicket.xml that to be copied later to C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\ later after windows 10 CLEAN INSTALLED with internet OFF first.

Restart with internet on to activated after restart 

Boom i have windows 10 activated after clicking activate with internet on. pure clean install with upgrade eligible

So i usually got the chameleon activated on partition no.3 primary: OSX.

I like to try Windows10 BCD using Easybcd 2.3 and boot0md for getting the OSX chameleon.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/305225-using-easybcd-to-chainload-chameleon-or-clover-from-the-legacy-windows-bootloader/

so i will stick with the ML now. 

• 1 year later...

Hi!

Quick question for u36sd owners, my hdd is not working anymore, need to replace it, do you know any SSD model that works on asus 36sd? I did some research but I' not 100% sure about which  model to choose.

If any of you have change the hdd with a SSD please let me know because it will be really helpful to know it :)

Thanks a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone needs this info for the future, I've bought a Samsung EVO 850 and is working perfectly fine. 

Anyone installed 10.12 sierra on u36sd? Long time that I don't try to install macos on my computer  :) Let me know if you have it working and which method did you use!

Thanks!

Hey Claudio!

I must have missed your previous question. Can also confirm EVO 750 perfectly working on my U36SD.
I have tried to install El Capitan, unfortunately i couldnt get it to work in 100%. Cant remember what went wrong.
Been recently thinking about an upgrade to Sierra but after El Cap fail im not really convinced. 

• 1 year later...