Confused about RAID

telegenecaster

10 posts in this topic

I think I've just been going through too much information, some of which may be outdated information. The questions I have are:

1) Does the new version of chameleon support RAID 0 config?

2) What's the difference between [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and Chameleon bootloader?

3) I have a gigabyte z68x ud4-b3. I'm assuming the marvell controller onboard allows for SOFTWARE RAID config, not hardware raid? I read a lot on the differences between software and hardware RAID. Do the same cons of software RAID significantly apply today? (load on host processor, greater susceptibility to data failure, etc.)

Sorry if these questions are elementary, I feel like the information I come across pulls me all sorts of directions.

1.i don't have RAID, but from my understanding RAID is supported by Chameleon, but FaceTime & iCloud fix doesn't work with RAID systems for now.

2. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] was a method of installing Snow Leopard without any mac at hand, it specially designed for most of modern computers, to load SL installation & OS, while having no boot loader and extensions on the HDD (before Post Installation)

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is no longer working with Lion, and the differences between Chameleon and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is, Chameleon is just the boot loader, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], is boot loader + kernel and extensions to make it load on most of modern PC.

3. Yes software RAID is still the same software RAID, and never will be like Hardware RAID, but anyway as far as i know you can't do anything with onboard RAID with OSX, so if you want RAID then it's Hardware RAID or OSX software RAID

software Raid can only be used in the Software that made them,

that's mean, if you create Raid Array in OSX, then windows will not see this Array, and vise verse.

either way, if you planning duel booting, i strongly recommend using another drive for that job,

it will save u a lot of headache, and a lot! (installing OSX on MBR, messing up with boot loaders, and all kind of stuff)

software Raid can only be used in the Software that made them,

that's mean, if you create Raid Array in OSX, then windows will not see this Array, and vise verse.

either way, if you planning duel booting, i strongly recommend using another drive for that job,

it will save u a lot of headache, and a lot! (installing OSX on MBR, messing up with boot loaders, and all kind of stuff)

Ah so, if I want to have RAID arrays for both operating systems, I need minimum 4 drives if I don't want the boot loader stuff messing up (this happened to my partitioned boot camped drive on my macbook). Hm, I'm really beginning to wonder whether a software RAID will be worth the trouble.

Ah so, if I want to have RAID arrays for both operating systems, I need minimum 4 drives if I don't want the boot loader stuff messing up (this happened to my partitioned boot camped drive on my macbook). Hm, I'm really beginning to wonder whether a software RAID will be worth the trouble.

i don't think it is, and to be honest, if i will ever do a raid Array, it will be at least Raid 5 or 10, i won't waste my time with either 1 or 0.

but, it really depend what kind of RAID you wanna do, and what do you want to achieve with it? (does it for mirroring or splitting)

i'm not an expert as i didn't done any RAID systems before, but i did poke around this a little bit, cause i intend to do it one day, but now it's to much for me to invest on my current PC, maybe next PC..

anyway, as for my knowledge Software RAID doesn't worth the trouble, it's best to go Hardware wise about this one - you don't wan't to blame a software for destroying your Array do you?

my thought, if it's for performance(splitting) then i would suggest SSD over RAID, if you intend to do this for backup (mirroring) porpuses then i suggest you to go with some PCIe RAID Controller.

Ah yeah, it was supposed to be for splitting. I was going to RAID 0 my two 1 tb seagates and install OS X on an SSD, and back everything on a 2 tb external. I have seen some like drastic performance increases with OS X software raid, although it taxes the cpu a bit. But i have 2600k so I'm not too worried.

• 1 month later...

Hi Nissefar, I currently have 10.7.2 working on Raid 0. I need to fix iCloud and FaceTime since I'm running Chamleon r1278.

How do you update Chameleon on Raid 0? is it the same manual process of copying files to both stripes?

Does Chameleon wizard work with Raid 0 systems?

What version of Chameleon are you running?

thank you very much.

Hi Nissefar, I currently have 10.7.2 working on Raid 0. I need to fix iCloud and FaceTime since I'm running Chamleon r1278.

How do you update Chameleon on Raid 0? is it the same manual process of copying files to both stripes?

Does Chameleon wizard work with Raid 0 systems?

What version of Chameleon are you running?

thank you very much.

You probably only need to copy to one stripe, but nothing bad can happen from copying to both.

I don't think the wizard works, but if you already have the raid working, there's no need to use it. Just get the boot files and copy them to your stripes.

I can't remember the version number I use, but I think any version above 1649 got the icloud fix.