[Q | Solved] How to get rid of a bootloader?

saltdos

3 posts in this topic

A month ago I installed Macintosh successfully on a separate hdd using Andy's CD bootloader. I'm unfamiliar with how the whole boot handling is done, but roughly after a week of using Hackintosh (dual-booting with my Windows hdd), something happened to my Windows 7 BCD file that caused it to be completely empty. This disabled me from booting into Windows completely. At the time, I did not have any form to recover my Windows (no recovery CD) until today. I fixed the BCD with the whole bootrec process and I'm back on Windows.

I'm assuming the custom bootloader that was installed is the culprit for this. I would like to boot back into Mac regularly without the risk of losing Windows again.

How would I remove the current bootloader and use a more stable one?

(I used Andy's custom CD bootloader when installing Mac because other methods failed, so I am unsure if removing this may have any affect on Mac initializing with my hardware.)

Just install another boot loader. It will replace your current one.

If you have OS X on a separate drive, install the boot loader to that drive, don't mess with the Windows drive.

Alright. I never messed with my Windows 7 hdd at all and the BCD file resulted in becoming zero bytes somehow. I recovered it with an old Vista installation disk (with the repair option) I found after relentless searching.

Thanks.