Gabecm

83 posts in this topic

Thanks cili0, i moved my E/E to S/L/E and i added in org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

All ok !!!

Thanks !

Hi mistudio

Is there a reason for the change? If it was working before, why the change now? I'm of the mind that if it isn't broken then don't change it. I hope my setup will continue to work. lol :rolleyes:

Thanks cili0, i moved my E/E to S/L/E and i added in org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

All ok !!!

Thanks !

I've done exactly the some thing as suggested by DarwinX few posts before. But the point is that IMHO this procedure can't be considered more than a workaround. I'm wondering the reason why we can't create /E/Extensions.mkext anymore or recreate the startup cache without encountering the error 'still waiting for root device'.

Is something related to the bootloader? any hope for a fix?

ciao!

cili0.

Hi mistudio

Is there a reason for the change? If it was working before, why the change now? I'm of the mind that if it isn't broken then don't change it. I hope my setup will continue to work. lol :D

I don't know, I just did ... just in case :D

Greetings :D

I've done exactly the some thing as suggested by DarwinX few posts before. But the point is that IMHO this procedure can't be considered more than a workaround. I'm wondering the reason why we can't create /E/Extensions.mkext anymore or recreate the startup cache without encountering the error 'still waiting for root device'.

Is something related to the bootloader? any hope for a fix?

ciao!

cili0.

It has nothing to do with the boot loader and there is nothing to fix. The Mac OS X Lion had simply evolved to use a far superior kernelcache and the extensions.mkext is found nowhere within the actual system. The retention of the former separation of extension directories configuration, however stagnant and unnecessary, is still obviously possible but requires a manual generation of the extensions.mkext within the Startup directory from whence the kexts are loaded at startup, nothing "vanilla" about that. It is just a pointless exercise in redundancy as kext separation produces no actual benefits in the OS X Lion and defies the very foundation of its programming.

It has nothing to do with the boot loader and there is nothing to fix. The Mac OS X Lion had simply evolved to use a far superior kernelcache and the extensions.mkext is found nowhere within the actual system. The retention of the former separation of extension directories configuration, however stagnant and unnecessary, is still obviously possible but requires a manual generation of the extensions.mkext within the Startup directory from whence the kexts are loaded at startup, nothing "vanilla" about that. It is just a pointless exercise in redundancy as kext separation produces no actual benefits in the OS X Lion and defies the very foundation of its programming.

I'm not so confident in the way OSX Lion loads kexts, so I can't argue about that, but keeping the extra kexts outside /S/L/E seems just right from a factorization point of view. Of course there's no difference between the two solutions, it just seems more polished to me.

The question was about the reason why this scenario occurs in 10.7.2.

The problem seems related to the fact that if we create /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext the system won't boot anymore. What it has to do with teh decision to keep some kexts in /E/E?

Thanks for your support,

ciao,

cili0.

I'm not so confident in the way OSX Lion loads kexts, so I can't argue about that, but keeping the extra kexts outside /S/L/E seems just right from a factorization point of view. Of course there's no difference between the two solutions, it just seems more polished to me.

The question was about the reason why this scenario occurs in 10.7.2.

The problem seems related to the fact that if we create /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext the system won't boot anymore. What it has to do with teh decision to keep some kexts in /E/E?

Thanks for your support,

ciao,

cili0.

Clearly, you are free to implement any system configuration that you please. However, continuing to use the extensions.mkext simply defies the way that the OS X 10.7 operates. I am all for kext separation, but ultimately, it is purely cosmetic. Yet, neglecting the prelinked kernelcache is not. Prior to the Lion, the OS X did indeed utilize the handling if its kext caches via the extensions.mkext. This is simply no longer the case. So, why defy the progress? If one is so attached to the old ways, then why update at all? Snow Leopard is still a mighty fine system.

Clearly, are you free to implement any system configuration that you please. However, continuing to use the extensions.mkext simply defies the way that the OS X 10.7 operates. I am all for kext separation, but ultimately, it is purely cosmetic. Yet, neglecting the prelinked kernelcache is not. Prior to the Lion, the OS X did indeed utilize the handling if its kext caches via the extensions.mkext. This is simply no longer the case. So, why defy the progress? If one is so attached to the old ways, then why update at all? Snow Leopard is still a mighty fine system.

I'm not against progress per-sè, and in principle I've no problem in using the new kernel cache system. The problem arises when this new method doesn't allow anymore to use the /E/E.

It would be great to have both: the new loading system and the factorization of the extra kexts. It's strange that other people that keep using Extensions.mkext with the command

sudo kextcache -v 2 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

are not experiencing the same problem. It seems that Lion 10.7.2 is still supporting the old method, but that this old method simply doesn't work anymore for some setups like mine.

Thanks,

ciao!

cili0.

I managed to get it updated to 10.7.2 but I have a tone of problem with iCloud. This is what I get when I try to sign into iCloud.

Hi

I just made a new account for iCloud with apple store's email and password...

c.frio

I'm not against progress per-sè, and in principle I've no problem in using the new kernel cache system. The problem arises when this new method doesn't allow anymore to use the /E/E.

It would be great to have both: the new loading system and the factorization of the extra kexts. It's strange that other people that keep using Extensions.mkext with the command

sudo kextcache -v 2 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

are not experiencing the same problem. It seems that Lion 10.7.2 is still supporting the old method, but that this old method simply doesn't work anymore for some setups like mine.

Thanks,

ciao!

cili0.

Hey cili0, you might want to try this method proposed by hotKoffy here:

generate MKext in Lion 10.7.2

Seems to work pretty well in that the root device error no longer occurs ...

However, in my case, it refuses to load IONetworking family hence I am not able to load Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx during boot which I need for my Ethernet ...

EDIT: I have to add that the IONetworking kext loads FINE after booting ... Only problem is it does NOT seem to be included in the generated Extensions.mkext file (which turns out to be quite small in size compared to creating it using one of those terminal commands) ...

I can load Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx kext after login BUT IF you are someone who does NOT even use that kext, I think hotKoffy's method will be great for separating the System and Extra kext files ...

To those who are still having issues. After days of troubleshooting just wanted to share this so it can help others.

To start I only had Wifi enabled "en0" and I have tried all the chameleon with iCloud fix, PCEFI and chimera and could not just login to iCloud keep getting "This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account".

Itunes login working, I decided to test Appstore and I was not able to login as well.

In order to get Appstore working I needed to enable my built-in NIC. Read it in forum somewhere - credit to the shared this info.

I got my built in NIC loaded and the deleted

com.apple.network.identification.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

Rebooted and when Lion came up everything worked I was able to login to iTunes, Appstore and iCloud.

So "en0" needs to be your built-in. Otherwise Appstore and iCloud won't work.

I had the following initially but I removed it and I cloud still works.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>1</string>

To those who are still having issues. After days of troubleshooting just wanted to share this so it can help others.

To start I only had Wifi enabled "en0" and I have tried all the chameleon with iCloud fix, PCEFI and chimera and could not just login to iCloud keep getting "This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account".

Itunes login working, I decided to test Appstore and I was not able to login as well.

In order to get Appstore working I needed to enable my built-in NIC. Read it in forum somewhere - credit to the shared this info.

I got my built in NIC loaded and the deleted

NetworkInterfaces.plist

Rebooted and when Lion came up everything worked I was able to login to iTunes, Appstore and iCloud.

So "en0" needs to be your built-in. Otherwise Appstore and iCloud won't work.

I had the following initially but I removed it and I cloud still works.

<string>Yes</string>

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>1</string>

hi

did you have your network devices recognized,or you set them manually, after reboot?

c.frio

@ cili0 I honestly always preferred using the S/L/E as opposed to E/E since Leopard days and with the release of 10.7 I was happy to notice that I didn't need to use the E/E anymore.

I don't even use a bootloader on my OS drives but rather keep the bootloaders on flash drives for the sake of plucking the drives into my MBP if I feel the urge to. Not saying that I dislike the separation that OS X had for some while, but I always wanted all my kexts to be localized in one area alone let alone two.

Just my 2 cents..

hi

did you have your network devices recognized,or you set them manually, after reboot?

c.frio

Not sure what you mean.

Depends on your NIC, if your NIC works OOB with LION then thats great other wise you need proper kext.

The NIC ethernet connection does not need to be up and connected, as long as Lion recognizes and sees it in network thats all it matters.

or did you mean after deleting the following

NetworkInterfaces.plist

Yes they are automatically detected and recreated, as long as you have proper kext.

@ cili0 I honestly always preferred using the S/L/E as opposed to E/E since Leopard days and with the release of 10.7 I was happy to notice that I didn't need to use the E/E anymore.

I don't even use a bootloader on my OS drives but rather keep the bootloaders on flash drives for the sake of plucking the drives into my MBP if I feel the urge to. Not saying that I dislike the separation that OS X had for some while, but I always wanted all my kexts to be localized in one area alone let alone two.

Just my 2 cents..

It's strange that you want to keep an extra component such as the EFI bootloader away from the the hard disk, but at the same time you place non-vanilla kext inside /S/L/E.

I appreciate the conceptual separation between what is shipped by apple (placed in /S/L/E) and what we add in order to let the system work on a generic pc (EFI bootloader + /E/E). Again, my 2 cents :)

Really there's no way to restore the /E/E folder? unfortunately creating the kernel cache by means of Extensions.mkext makes the system unbootable.

If you really want to keep /E/E and prefer not to touch /S/L/E then

you can use the rc.local trick, works great here, been doing it since Lion came out.

/private/etc/rc.local

contents:

kextload /Extra/KextStore/*

NOTE the name KextStore, you can use any name EXCEPT Extensions.

Use the UseKernelCache flag Yes in/Extra/ com.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Best way to implement this is to boot -s.

At prompt type:

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

echo "kextload /Extra/KextStore/*" > /private/etc/rc.local

Make sure permissions are correct

ls -la /etc/rc.local

Should look like this

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 28 23 Jul 04:08 /etc/rc.local

Need to refresh the caches so then type

rm -rf System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

type

reboot and use -f for added measure

There may be some kexts that need to be placed into /S/L/E

This is what I have in mine

ACPIMonitor.kext IntelCPUMonitor.kext LegacyBluetooth.kext

FakeSMC.kext LegacyAGPM.kext SuperIOFamily .kext

Its all down to personal choice.

Hi STLVNUB, thanks your your suggestion. The problem with your solution is that you can't place the essence of the extra kexts, fakesmc.kext, in /E/KextStore, can you? Also i would prefer the bootloader to load the extra kexts, it would be more polished.

However, in my case, it refuses to load IONetworking family hence I am not able to load Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx during boot which I need for my Ethernet ...

EDIT: I have to add that the IONetworking kext loads FINE after booting ... Only problem is it does NOT seem to be included in the generated Extensions.mkext file (which turns out to be quite small in size compared to creating it using one of those terminal commands) ...

I can load Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx kext after login BUT IF you are someone who does NOT even use that kext, I think hotKoffy's method will be great for separating the System and Extra kext files ...

I'll try this method, but unfortunetly i do use lnx2mac kext.

ciao,

cili0.

Hi there,

I defer the expertise of others, I'm a newbie but from what I'm reading from the various posts here my e/e should not be loading but it is loading. Is it just that it would takes longer since there is no cache??? My load times are fairly quick usually 1-2 spins of the spinner before it gets to the login screen. So I don't understand what is happening. The kexts in e/e are: fakesmc, ioachiblockstorageinjector, jmicronata, legacy889ahda, and intelcpumonitor.

This is my chameleon plist:

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x860x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Hide Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,4) hd(2,1)</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>npci=0x2000</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>LoginToLion</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

Running fine, my hardware is in my signature.

Thanks for your help :D

The IONetworkingFamily.kext does not get included in the mkext cache file, because it has a OSBundleRequired string of "Network-Root". That means it will only load at boot time when one needs to boot off the network. If you wish the kext to be included in the cache and load at boot time, the OSBundleRequired string contained within the kext's info.plist needs to be changed to "Root." Keep in mind this should include all PlugIns, as well, including Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx.kext.

regards,

MAJ

Eh?? They are in /Extra/KextStore unless I don't understand the question...

Sorry, my fault (English is not my native language). My question was:

With your method can you place fakesmc.kext in /E/KextStore? Will the system boot even if you load that kext in a late state of the boot sequence?

Its all down to Personal Choice

Just offered a solution, wether anybody takes it is up to them.

Thanks for your solution, IMHO every single contribution should be more than appreciated. Maybe i was a bit rude, but this is because I don't master very well English :)

ciao!

cili0.

Hi, i'm having troubles with this update. I'm on the latest Lion version, did a valid smbios.plist, upgraded to the 1618 chameleon version, and i can only boot in -x mode otherwise i get a kernel panic on the loading screen. It happens everytime i change the smbios.plist.

I don't really know what to do or try right now so if anyone has an idea i'd be glad to read it. Thanks.

Hi there,

I defer the expertise of others, I'm a newbie but from what I'm reading from the various posts here my e/e should not be loading but it is loading. Is it just that it would takes longer since there is no cache??? My load times are fairly quick usually 1-2 spins of the spinner before it gets to the login screen. So I don't understand what is happening. The kexts in e/e are: fakesmc, ioachiblockstorageinjector, jmicronata, legacy889ahda, and intelcpumonitor.

Running fine, my hardware is in my signature.

Thanks for your help :unsure:

Why shouldn't it be loading? The /Extra/Extensions directory is skipped and the pre linked kernelcache is used at boot time via the UseKernelCache=Yes argument in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Since you aren't utilizing said argument and don't have the Extensions.mkext in your Startup caches folder, all of your system kexts are reloaded at each boot, so you're effectively booting with a -f kernel flag.

Hi, i'm having troubles with this update. I'm on the latest Lion version, did a valid smbios.plist, upgraded to the 1618 chameleon version, and i can only boot in -x mode otherwise i get a kernel panic on the loading screen. It happens everytime i change the smbios.plist.

I don't really know what to do or try right now so if anyone has an idea i'd be glad to read it. Thanks.

Would you like us to guess what your problem might be?