iCloud & Find My Mac

19 posts in this topic

Everything with 10.7.2 & iCloud seems ok on my system! apart from 1 problem. Find My Mac.

I can select this option in iCloud no problem and them go and locate my mac at www.icloud.com BUT when every time I reboot Find My Mac is unselected.... I have an Apple Recovery partition and have installed the HD recovery update with 10.7.2 no problems but this is bugging me!

Works fine on my Macbook pro

any ideas?

post-431746-1318519845_thumb.png

I followed this instruction as on the youtube video to get the recovery partition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op7euNQmxgg...player_embedded

Thanks for this! Can you boot from the recovery partition?

edit: I created the recovery hd, but in iCloud it still says no recovery hd...

edit2: can't install recovery hd update, I get an error :/

Hi,

i wanna try Find my Mac , but i don't want to create a Recovery HD on my Hacintosh because is useless (we can not use it because it doesn't boot , etc.)

So my question is " Can we create a Fake "Recovery HD" only to get Find my Mac enabled ?"

I would try this way ...

0) Create a 10Mb partition and rename "Recovery HD"

1) create a folder on it "com.apple.recovery.boot"

2) copy on it boot.efi,com.apple.Boot.plist,kernelcache, PlatformSupport.plist, SystemVersion.plist

3) create a zero file BaseSystem.dmg

4) set type to partition "Apple_Boot" from terminal with

asr adjust -target /dev/diskXsX -settype "Apple_Boot"

I will post my results ...

PippoX0

Hi,

i wanna try Find my Mac , but i don't want to create a Recovery HD on my Hacintosh because is useless (we can not use it because it doesn't boot , etc.)

So my question is " Can we create a Fake "Recovery HD" only to get Find my Mac enabled ?"

I would try this way ...

0) Create a 10Mb partition and rename "Recovery HD"

1) create a folder on it "com.apple.recovery.boot"

2) copy on it boot.efi,com.apple.Boot.plist,kernelcache, PlatformSupport.plist, SystemVersion.plist

3) create a zero file BaseSystem.dmg

4) set type to partition "Apple_Boot" from terminal with

asr adjust -target /dev/diskXsX -settype "Apple_Boot"

I will post my results ...

PippoX0

Exelent idea pippox0 :)

Post result, please!

Your recovery HD will need to be more than 10mbs! the files that go on it are huge, On a real mac the Recovery HD is 650mbs.

I have got the Proper Recovery HD, its set as a Apple_Boot partition type. everything works ok.. BUT

Find my mac un ticks itself every time you restart you Computer.

When we install Lion on a Hackintosh is don't create the Recovery HD at all. When you install Lion on a real mac it makes a Recovery HD no problem. After we install Lion on our hacks we then have to go and make a Recovery HD.

I suspect that there is some sort of config file somewhere that keeps turning Find My Mac off since this Recovery HD wasn't made when we installed Lion..... could this be the case?

Exelent idea pippox0 :)

Post result, please!

I have done all this! 4 times.... with the same results. Find My Mac turns itself off after a reboot. But works find when ticked in iCloud.

Just had a thought!

The way iI installed Lion was this way:

1. Have a working Snow Leopard install

2. Install Lion with Xmove from Tonymacx86

3. Make a Installer partition where Xmove installed all the Lion install data

4. Boot from this installer partition

5. Install Lion over Snow Leopard

I wonder if we added a few things in there we could get it closer to the real mac install by doing this...

1. Have a working Snow Leopard install

2. Install Lion with Xmove from Tonymacx86

3. Make a Installer partition where Xmove installed all the Lion install data

4. Boot from this installer partition

5. Make the Apple Recovery Partition first

6. Install Lion over Snow Leopard

I wonder if this would get rid of our little problem....... It seems that Find My Mac is un ticking itself on reboot because there is something missing. Maybe a config file of some sort... Maybe when we install Lion with NO Recovery HD lion misses some config files out?

Hey, Logicpro8_user

i am Logicpro9 user :gun:

I have a question? I see, you have the EMU 0404 ... Work under Lion? Did they make a new driver or the card work without mixer control? Thanks!

Ok so I tired this first without the Apple Recovery HD and i get this msg in the system log:

System Preferences: WARNING: Unabled to get booter disk for <DADisk 0x400343c40 [0x7fff782c1f40]>{id = /dev/disk0s2}: Unable to find boot helper partition.

So this is the same as you...

Now I try it with the Recovery HD and Nothing in the system log about anything to do with the Recovery HD/Find My Mac or anything about iCloud.

I tried ticking the Find My Mac, unpicking it, closing it down, reopening it etc etc over and over and the system log shows nothing now....

weird!

Oh sorry,

I tried it WITHOUT the recovery HD

and then

'Now I try it' WITH the Recovery HD

:(

Cant seem to get it to stay on now. It works 100% when ticked, but after reboot its un-ticked again... weird!

There is defo something unpicking it at boot, it must write to a file somewhere. I am lost on this one!

I was looking if someone found solution for reseting Find my mac setting, and found your posts. I have the same problem now. First I wasn't able to switch on location services because i didn't have WiFi, so I bought one. When location services are enabled and you have properly set Recovery HD, you can enable Find my Mac option. But after reboot that option is disabled and you have to enable it again.

Hi,

finally i have created a regular Recovery Hd partition on my Hackintosh and i was able to get "Find my Mac" option under iCloud PrefPanel ... ;)

My first try was wrong : i have converted my partition from MBR to GUID.

Doing so i haven't EFI partition , so i didn't get Find My Mac .... :thumbsup_anim:

Now instead i have reinstall from scratch OSX LIon on GUID partition and even if Recovery HD partition wasn't automatically created , i was able to manually create one.

The Right Partition scheme it should be this:

GUID

EFI partition 209,7 Mb -> automatically created

OSX LION -> Test HD 20GB -> created during installation

Recovery HD -> 650Mb manually created after installation ...

Now i'm trying to make and to use a Fake "RecoveryHD" and to solve disabling "Find My Mac" option after a reboot ...

UPDATE

see my new topic

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=0#entry1765554

PippoX0