Fix Lion 10.7.2 on VMware

Donk

69 posts in this topic

I'm new to ESXi and the Unlocker thing to install Mac OSX Lion on non supported Hardware. I can boot from my Lion Install USB Stick (created from the Lion i downloaded in the AppStore). But then my 250gb attached vmdk get's not shown in the window of the drives i can install to. So I think I have downloaded the 10.7.2 version from the AppStore with the new AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext file. Can i replace this file directly on the Lion Install USB Stick?

And how do you manage your storage for Lion? Did you throughput your whole SATA controller or do you use virtual disks? What's the better solution?

• 2 weeks later...

Just followed the instructions that were given, and it worked like a dream.

No if's and buts on mine. Had to sort dir paths out but it worked.

2.8 gHz, quad core, win 7 pro and Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2 on VMware 8.

Sweet as a nut

Thanks.

I'm new to ESXi and the Unlocker thing to install Mac OSX Lion on non supported Hardware. I can boot from my Lion Install USB Stick (created from the Lion i downloaded in the AppStore). But then my 250gb attached vmdk get's not shown in the window of the drives i can install to. So I think I have downloaded the 10.7.2 version from the AppStore with the new AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext file. Can i replace this file directly on the Lion Install USB Stick?

And how do you manage your storage for Lion? Did you throughput your whole SATA controller or do you use virtual disks? What's the better solution?

I installed under VMware Workstation on Windows, using a Compact Flash drive containing the Lion installer files. Boot from the USB installer. Once the installer opens you will not see your virtual disk until you open Disk utility from the menu at the top of the screen. In Disk utility you will create at least one bootable GUID partition on your disk. Apply the Disk utility changes, quit Disk utility, and now you should see your virtual disk as an installation target under the Lion installer.

Looks like Lion 10.7.3 update released today. Running ESXi 5.0 with all patches installed.

Want to avoid the mess I made when updating 10.7.1 to 10.7.2 without reading about the procedure necessary to do it successfully.

Anyone successfully do the 10.7.3 update on ESXi 5.0? Thanks

Not sure about anyone else but I tried the solution #1 madburg posted above on ESXi 5.0 (changed permissions on LSIFusionMPT.kext to read-only) and then upgraded to 10.7.3 but no dice. I got the same problem I did way back when I first tried 10.7.2 (before this thread existed :))--wouldn't boot past the grey Apple logo.

The difference this time around was that I learned my lesson from the last time and took a snapshot first.

Can anyone else confirm? Obviously it wouldn't hurt for me to try again since I've got the snapshot, but I followed his directions pretty clearly so my thinking is that method doesn't work--at least not with 10.7.3.

Just did a second VM update and it would not boot past the Apple logo on restart. Waited a few minutes. Shut down the VM completely. Re-started VM and it booted fine.

Thanks for the replies, but it's just not working for me. I did the chmod -R 444 AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext and also did the ls -l to verify that the permissions matched the ones in post 41. I then downloaded the combo update, installed it, and right before the reboot did another ls -l to make sure the permissions were still read-only. I then did the required reboot and afterwards it hung on the grey apple logo. I left it for ten minutes, powered it off and back on again, and it still froze at the Apple logo.

I'm 100% sure I followed the directions correctly. One possible wrinkle is that this is Lion Server (which is really just regular Lion with the server app installed via the App Store--but it does use a different combo updater than Lion without the server app installed).

I also want to make clear this is on ESXi 5.0 build 474610. I think all of VMWare's other products (latest builds) have been updated to fix this bug without replacing the kext. I know there is a newer build of ESXi 5 but I haven't been able to find out if it contains this fix also.

Ah well, I've restored my original snapshot now and will hold off on the 10.7.3 update until some more people have tried it.

All -

I also had trouble getting the chmod to work on the 10.7.3 update (it worked just fine on 10.7.2).

My solution was this...

Clone the VM that you are trying to update, then update the original (it won't boot after you update it obviously). Shut down the non-booting VM, then add the vmdk (under VM settings) to the cloned VM (which should be on 10.7.2). You can live add the disk, but you'll have to reboot the VM to get it to show up (you could probably try and mount it but reboot was quicker in my case). Once you have both disks showing up you can copy the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from the 10.7.2 VM to the 10.7.3 and you'll be able to boot again.

Two notes:

1) If you have the same volume name (i.e. Mac OS) then you'll have to make sure your copying the right file to the right drive. OS X will mount the new volume as "Mac OS 1" in this case.

2) If your VMs aren't booting in 10.7.2 (because you didn't save the kext from an earlier update) then this won't work. Use the install media as noted above.

Let me know if you have questions. Also, I HIGHLY recommend you take a snapshot or backup your data if you mess something up.

Chris

I've tried several times to replace the AppleLSI directory on an upgrade to 10.7.3, running server if that matters, on ESXi 5.0, and had no success. It's worked fine for me upgrading to 10.7.2 for both my Lion and Lion Server VM. My Lion VM boots and though I mount the drive from my Server VM into my regular Lion VM and copy the file, I get no success. Unfortunately I forgot to snapshot the failed on (I remembered for the regular Lion, just not the Server) and I unfortunately chose to upgrade the Server first. I may just have to migrate everything over if I can't get it working. I've tried many reboots and many attempts at the directory, but no success. Had I reversed the order of the upgrades, I could have tested the success of the regular Lion to 10.7.3, but alas..

Any idea why else it might be failing, before I clone my regular Lion VM and install server to it, then copy the data directories to replace everything?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I installed Lion on VMware Workstation following this guide just fine. However, when I moved it to ESXi, it stopped working. I mean it is booting and it shows a DNS name, but no IP. It also remains on the Apple logo screen.

Here is what I did:

1. Install Lion on Vmware workstation

2. Update to 10.7.3 and downgrade kext file as outlined above.

3. Installed VMware tools from Fusion

4. Upgrade to Lion Server.

5. Use VM Converter to upload image to ESXi (this is much faster than workstation)

It is my understanding that the unlocker on ESXi is only needed if I want to install Lion using the install media on ESXi. I don't need it to run Lion, right?

Is it possible that Lion Server messed up the kext file again?

Thanks!

Yes, it changed it to BSD, but I changed it back to Lion 10.7.2 64-bit in ESXi. Since it "started" without a problem (no popup message) I thought I don't need the unlocker. I mean there was no error message...

I was under the impression that the unlocker just adds the options to the OS type, but I guess it does more than that.

Anyhow, thanks for clarifying this for me! I will try to unlock and hopefully that will work. Thank you for your quick reply and tool! :)

• 2 months later...

I found the easiest way to fix the problem was to

1: Copy the 10.7.1 (or .0) version of the offending KEXT to your desktop.

2: Install the update (not software update).

3: Before rebooting use Kext Wizard to reinstall the older KEXT and then update/fix KEXTS and permissions in Kext Wizard.

4: Reboot. Fixed.

:)

Thank you for this post as it saved me a lot of hassle, the command line backup of the kext etc wouldn't work for me where as this worked in a matter of seconds.

Thanks, for this great idea. I've installed OS X Lion 10.7.0 on VMware Workstation 8.0.0.471780 (Unlocked with 1.0.1 unlocker by Zenith432). I've tried to install Xcode 4.2, but for unknown reason it failed with unknown error. So, to install Xcode 4.3.1, I've tried to update OS X twice from 10.7.0 to 10.7.3, but failed (hangs with apple logo when start). So, I've tried another time with the idea given in this post.

And I've succeeded (update from 10.7.0 to 10.7.3)............ :)

Though, I've not tried Xcode 4.3.1 yet. (Xcode 4.2 also fails on 10.7.3, may be there is a problem in the DMG file).

Image of the installation is attached.

post-1003637-0-66728700-1336939298_thumb.png

Thanks, for this great idea. I've installed OS X Lion 10.7.0 on VMware Workstation 8.0.0.471780 (Unlocked with 1.0.1 unlocker by Zenith432). I've tried to install Xcode 4.2, but for unknown reason it failed with unknown error. So, to install Xcode 4.3.1, I've tried to update OS X twice from 10.7.0 to 10.7.3, but failed (hangs with apple logo when start). So, I've tried another time with the idea given in this post.

And I've succeeded (update from 10.7.0 to 10.7.3)............ :)

Though, I've not tried Xcode 4.3.1 yet. (Xcode 4.2 also fails on 10.7.3, may be there is a problem in the DMG file).

Image of the installation is attached.

Go and get the Workstation 2012 preview. Should work once unlocked.