Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
If you hit the disclosure triangle beside "Intel WiFi Link1000 BGN", there should be a thing called PNP ID. Double click it and it should give you the device/vendor IDs. If you want, you can also use Device Manager; select your card, hit the Details tab, and choose Hardware IDs from the pop-up menu. VEN_ and DEV_ are what you want to know.

Also, I believe if your card is Broadcom, the vendor ID will be 14e4.

For your GeForce, try this: http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1726492

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:The unknown

If you hit the disclosure triangle beside "Intel WiFi Link1000 BGN", there should be a thing called PNP ID. Double click it and it should give you the device/vendor IDs. If you want, you can also use Device Manager; select your card, hit the Details tab, and choose Hardware IDs from the pop-up menu. VEN_ and DEV_ are what you want to know.

I don't see DEV_, but here's the VEN_ info:

* Windows Description - Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN
* Hardware ID - VEN_8086&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_13258086&REV_00

Edit: wow didn't see the DEV_ in there, but it's there. Silly me.

Edit 2: How do I install .kexts? Is there any easy way?

Edited by thejakeman, 08 January 2012 - 10:04 PM.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Yes. It depends where you install them, because there are two Extensions folders, /Extra/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions. For /Extra/Extensions, all you do is drag the kext in. :) However, with /System/Library/Extensions, there are permissions issues, so the easiest way is to use a kext installer like Kext Utility (my favorite). Simply drag the kext onto Kext Utility, and it will take care of the rest.

BTW, your wireless card has an Intel chipset (vendor ID 8087, not Broadcom (vendor ID 14e4), which makes sense why the enabler didn't work. Have you tried the GeForce solution yet?

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Sad day. I dragged the GeForce kext you linked into Kext Utility and on the next boot it KP'd. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I'm right on the edge of giving up.

Attached Files

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Are you still booting from the ModCD? You're supposed to be booting from the hard drive.

To fix the problem, you have to boot in single user mode. Before pressing enter to boot, type -s. At the prompt, type the following commands:

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/[GeForce].kext
exit

You'll have to fill in the name of the kext you loaded for the rm command.

Don't give up yet. ;)

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
I'm using the Mod CD to boot from my secondary hard drive that holds the OS X installation, as I couldn't figure out how to install Chameleon from a .tar.gz.

Okay I ran the commands verbatim, and now I've got this. Progress, right? :D

Attached Files

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Try booting again. The invalid kernel ip thing isn't always consistent. (In fact, my hackintosh gave me this exact same error just a minute ago; rebooting did the trick.) However, if it is persistent, then we may have to investigate and see which kext is causing the problem.

Actually, it is progress! We're getting closer and closer. ;) Even though this is hard, it is very rewarding in the end. If it's any comfort, I went through hours and days and weeks and months to get my hardware working properly; I have old hardware that isn't on any Snow Leopard compatibility lists. But, because I was persistent, my systems are next to perfect! The only reason they aren't perfect is they're old. :P

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Hahaha on the next boot I booted just fine. Sweet! Still no ability to up the screen resolution though...

Will my system be functional if I upgrade to lion using this method?

One more thing; on the install of chameleon, as OS X is installed to a secondary hard drive, how should I modify the commands on the readme that comes with v2.0 RC4?

Also, is there anywhere that I can donate to you? I'd like to buy you a cup of coffee :)

Edited by thejakeman, 09 January 2012 - 03:50 PM.

PaddyBhoy

PaddyBhoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

I believe this is a DSDT issue. The Dell Optiplex 780 had this same issue; some people here were saying this is a DSDT issue.

What I would do is extract the DSDT in Linux using my instructions above (post #85) and then post your booting issue with your DSDT in the DSDT forum. If you'd like, I can also see what I can do to fix your DSDT. :)

Any help would be much appreciated, Sorry I'm a real noob. Do i need to install linux onto the same PC? or can i use one of them live cd things

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
thejakeman, yes, UniBeast will be just fine. For Chameleon, run the Chameleon installer on my image I gave you (it's the bootloader package inside the Packages folder.) If you use the legacy kernel, also run the legacy kernel package inside the Kernel and Extras folder.

Unfortunately, I don't have a donation link (I don't know how.) :)

PaddyBhoy, it's okay. You can use a live CD. :)

Manolis Yousmallvan

Manolis Yousmallvan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello there. I'm new to hacintosh. I have an ##### cd and a Snow leopard 10.6.6i by Hazard. I installed 3 times so far and seemed nothing to work on the the first boot after the installation.
During installation I choose Mac os extended journaled as in your instructions.

I got a panic "version mis-match between kernel and CPU". I tried to boot with pmVersion=0 and I didn't get the panic. The grey screen with the grey apple logo came up and the spinning circle below it. At first,I thought it worked, but a few minutes later the spinning circle froze and I started hearing the welcome intro song without seeing anything. Some minutes later told me to restart my computer pressing the power button.

Is there there any fix for my problem?

I wish I could try your way but my DVD recorder is not working. But reading is ok.

I have a Sony vaio vgn-ar71s.
CPU: intel core 2 duo T9300, enhanced speedstep technology, 2.5GHz
Memory: 4GB
HDD: 500GB (raid 0 2x250gb)
Not on raid 0 anymore since I use the first one to install mac os and in the second one windows 7 is already Installed.
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT GPU.

Thanks in advance.

PaddyBhoy

PaddyBhoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

PaddyBhoy, it's okay. You can use a live CD. :)

I have the dsdt from the DC7900

Attached Files

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Manolis, I wouldn't use a distro DVD with a retail installer. Distros are perfectly bootable in and of themselves. If you have an 8 GB or larger external drive, you could use the ModUSB to create a USB installer with a retail DVD cloned onto it via Linux. I'd be happy to show you how.

PaddyBhoy, I'll take a look at it. :)

Manolis Yousmallvan

Manolis Yousmallvan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a wd my passport 500GB but i have other files in there. I never tried to use USB installer so i don't know if these files are a problem.
I don't have linux but if you think this is gonna work there's no problem installing ubuntu in a partition.

So what do i need?

Thank you.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Go ahead and install Ubuntu. I'll post instructions when I have more time. ;)

Also, make sure you have a retail Snow Leopard disc (bought or downloaded) and not a distro.

Manolis Yousmallvan

Manolis Yousmallvan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ubuntu is already installed on the disk i'm gonna later install mac os. We just need ubuntu to make the boot drive, right?
I'm gonna save all my files from the wd on the windows disk. Hope we won't mess up with this disk.
I also found a retail DVD of Snow leopard 10.6.8.

Waiting for your instructions.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

ham4ever

ham4ever

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
helpfull tut ,,

i have a problem when everything goes well till when wanna choice disk then gives this

You cannot install to this volume. If you want to install to a disk with an MBR DOS-style partation table, you must install to a primary partation - not a logical partation.

i used

OSInstall + OSInstall.mpkg 10.6.3 patched for MBR so i can use MBR formatted hard disks to allowing multiple booting with other Windows OS .
any help ??

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
ham4ever, two things.

1. If you have a DVD and not a USB drive for installation, the ModCD will automatically patch the disc for MBR. You don't need the OSInstall framework/pkg.

2. Unless you have 32-bit XP, you can use GPT, too. Win7, WinVista, and 64-bit WinXP can boot from GPT.

Manollis, try this guide. If it gets too complicated, I'll simplify it. :)

ham4ever

ham4ever

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
is there any way to use USB ,??
because i dont have DVD 8 Gb and cant find it i my area for now ,

thanks friend

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Yes there is, but you need to make it in Linux (pretty complex). Are you comfortable with that?

If you happen to have access to a Mac, there is a pkg to make a USB drive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy