Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:The unknown

thejakeman, have you tried typing "mach_kernel" (without the quotes) before pressing enter?

It instantly says that it can't find mach_kernel

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
?

Oh, i get it. I'll look for a kernel, then.

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

It instantly says that it can't find mach_kernel

?

Oh, i get it. I'll look for a kernel, then.

Ah I apologize, I said that off of memory and remembered falsely. (Thanks for the blazing fast response by the way, you're the best). I tried it after that post and it said it was starting Darwin x86 as in the picture, and then it proceeded to simply reboot into Windows. Should I make it boot back into the retail OS X disc?

Attached Files

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
The restart means the kernel isn't loading properly. You might not be able to use the mach_kernel.

What disc are you using, again?

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

What disc are you using, again?

I'm using the OSX86 ModCD you linked in the original post. How can I get around mach_kernel? How would I load other kernels?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
I was asking what version of Snow Leopard you are using. :)

On a original Snow Leopard DVD, there is always a file called mach_kernel. This is Apple's original kernel that is used to boot real Macs. However, if I remember correctly, you have an AMD? AMDs and older Intels (pre-core) cannot use mach_kernel.

To load other kernels, all you need is a flash drive. :) I posted instructions I believe on page 3.

DH1Studios, I can't believe I overlooked your post. :)

If you have a Hazard distro, you don't need the ModCD. The ModCD is for retail installations only. You can either purchase a disc or download one.

I did link the ModCD in my post. However, if you can't find it, here's a duplicate: http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=446

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

I was asking what version of Snow Leopard you are using. :)

On a original Snow Leopard DVD, there is always a file called mach_kernel. This is Apple's original kernel that is used to boot real Macs. However, if I remember correctly, you have an AMD? AMDs and older Intels (pre-core) cannot use mach_kernel.

To load other kernels, all you need is a flash drive. :) I posted instructions I believe on page 3.

I got the disc from a friend, the box says 10.6.3, it came with two discs inside and a lot of documentation. Disc 1 says "Mac Pro Mac OS X Install Disc 1 Mac OS version 10.5.2 AHT version 3A146 Disc version 1.2"

I also do not have AMD, I have an intel i5 and an nVidia GeForce 435m.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
That's your issue, then. The ModCD doesn't work with 10.5; you'd have to find a version of boot132 to use it.

Also, if you do end up using a disc from a Mac, you would need to patch the disc first. Those discs (the grey ones) have a hardware check to only be used with the machine they came with. I can help you with the patching if you need it. :)

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
For those who have been so patiently waiting for DSDT extraction in Ubuntu, here it is!

Open Terminal (either through the Applications menu if you are in classic mode, or search from the Ubuntu menu in the top-left corner) and type:

cd ~/
sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > dsdt.aml

Now it is in the home folder; you can now put it on a flash drive (or other disk). If you have Ubuntu installed and would like to do something extra, you can decompile the DSDT, too:

sudo apt-get install iasl
iasl -d ~/dsdt.aml

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Okay awesome. I got my hands on a 10.6.3 disk and the install went PERFECTLY. Only problem is I installed it to a completely seperate hard drive, and I'm not sure EasyBCD is capable of booting to separate hard drives... What could I do? I have not been able to boot into the OS yet post install.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
EasyBCD is only necessary for single-drive installations. You can use Chameleon (the OS X bootloader) if you are using two separate drives.

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

EasyBCD is only necessary for single-drive installations. You can use Chameleon (the OS X bootloader) if you are using two separate drives.

Can I install Chameleon from Windows?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
Chameleon is what you use to boot OS X. When you boot OS X and it says "Press any key to enter startup options", press a key and select your Windows drive. It's that easy. :)

Whoops. I just saw you can't boot yet.

I made a compilation of nawcom's stuff, including bootloader, etc. I'll go find it and post it in a bit. :)

BTW, Chameleon installation is done from OS X.

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

I made a compilation of nawcom's stuff, including bootloader, etc. I'll go find it and post it in a bit. :)

BTW, Chameleon installation is done from OS X.

I could boot from the nawcom CD that let me boot into the installation disc in the first place right? Just select the HDD? And then install Chameleon from there?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
Yes. Here's the link to nawcom's packages: http://www.mediafire...amarwnpyym9te1x The instructions are on the .dmg. If there is anything confusing, let me know. :)

PaddyBhoy

PaddyBhoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Glad to hear that. :thumbsup_anim:

What I'm thinking about doing is possibly compiling a list of what people using this method did to patch their hardware. All you folks let me know what you think. :)

For your panic, can you take a picture?

here you go this happens as you throw the SL disk in and press enter

Attached File  DSCF0142.JPG   603.94KB   23 downloads

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
I believe this is a DSDT issue. The Dell Optiplex 780 had this same issue; some people here were saying this is a DSDT issue.

What I would do is extract the DSDT in Linux using my instructions above (post #85) and then post your booting issue with your DSDT in the DSDT forum. If you'd like, I can also see what I can do to fix your DSDT.:)

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
So everything is working good now except for my Broadcom Wifi and my nVidia GeForce GT 435m. Installing the things in that package you compiled didn't seem to change anything.
My resolution is set quite lower than how it should be, as there's only one option in the display settings tab. How can I force a higher resolution?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
I believe your problem is that QE/CI (3D acceleration) is not enabled. This will mean most screensavers/games won't work, iWork won't work (ironically :P), or anything else that requires 3D acceleration. I can look up solutions.

If all you want is a different resolution, open Terminal and type:

sudo nano /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

Scroll down to Kernel Flags. In between the <string>s below the Kernel Flags, type "Graphics Mode"=yourxresolutionx32 (if there is anything in there already, type the "Graphics Mode" after the other flags). For example, if you wanted 1600x1200, you'd type "Graphics Mode"=1600x1200x32. Once you're done, press Control-O, then Control-X, and then restart.

For your WiFi, do you know what your device ID is? If you can give it to me I can patch the Broadcom enabler for your card. Sometimes the LAN packages do not work correctly...

thejakeman

thejakeman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

For your WiFi, do you know what your device ID is? If you can give it to me I can patch the Broadcom enabler for your card. Sometimes the LAN packages do not work correctly...

Excuse my ignorance, but how does one find a device ID? Here's a screenshot of the networking section of the utility you provided in the original post.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy