Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
You're welcome. :)

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Srini, I just remembered that there is a fix for boot0 errors. I'll look it up and report back.

For those wondering about the Optiplex, it needs a DSDT, but the logic board died before I could try anything. It was for my dad's work anyway. :P

elite-fusion

elite-fusion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hello PookyMacMan, I checked that site and not seeing any instructions in detail on how to do the DSTS thing, please assist, I just burned a copy of Ubuntu live cd

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
elite-fusion, I'll test it out with my Ubuntu CD and get back to you.

bizmackus

bizmackus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I am considering trying a 10.6.6 install with this method. I have a dell vostro 410 (core 2 duo quad e4600, 4 gigs of ram, 2 sata hard drives, ATI radeon hd 2400 pro). I have checked my bios and I do not have an option to switch from ide to ahci. I do have a raid option.. ahcr or something like that. Should I even attempt this version of OSX?

THANKS

bizmackus

bizmackus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi, I am considering trying a 10.6.6 install with this method. I have a dell vostro 410 (core 2 duo quad e4600, 4 gigs of ram, 2 sata hard drives, ATI radeon hd 2400 pro). I have checked my bios and I do not have an option to switch from ide to ahci. I do have a raid option.. ahcr or something like that. Should I even attempt this version of OSX?

THANKS

I meant to say 10.6.2!

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
You don't need to worry about AHCI. AHCI is merely a convenience. You can experiment and see whether IDE or RAID works better.

I think you have a good chance of success. However, your graphics card may be an issue...I don't know if the Radeon HD 2400 Pro is supported or not, but my guess would be it's not. If I were you, I would try to get a nVidia card; you can get a very decent OS X-ready nVidia card for maybe U.S. $45.

bizmackus

bizmackus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You don't need to worry about AHCI. AHCI is merely a convenience. You can experiment and see whether IDE or RAID works better.

I think you have a good chance of success. However, your graphics card may be an issue...I don't know if the Radeon HD 2400 Pro is supported or not, but my guess would be it's not. If I were you, I would try to get a nVidia card; you can get a very decent OS X-ready nVidia card for maybe U.S. $45.

How about a 9800 GTX?

Thanks for all of your help!

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
That should work perfectly. I've seen success for both Snow Leopard and Lion. :)

elite-fusion

elite-fusion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
which video card and how would i install it in an E6420 latitude laptop? just curious because never really took apart a laptop nor do I know which one to get if I were to upgrade to nVidia

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

If you set it to RAID it will be in AHCI.

seems to be working: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=214797
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=170979

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Thank you for the clarification, JamesLittler. :)

Tj Pfleger

Tj Pfleger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So i just tried it, and after typing

hd(1,0)/legacy_kernel-10.6.8 this is what i see. (first pic)

After the first screen, i hit enter, and then i see this and it just stops. (next 2 pics)

Attached Files

SuicideAngel

SuicideAngel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, will a Geforce GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr II work with Snow Leopard 10.6 ?

PaddyBhoy

PaddyBhoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
PookyMacMan i've been reading this post previously and bought myself the 10.6 retail install and a HP dc7900 to install it onto. The modcd runs fine and SL starts but halts on the following message 'PostbootMOunter ::start. The keyboard has locked and nothing is responding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Tj, I'm really sorry but I don't really know what's going on. :( I would post this issue in the Snow Leopard forum and see what others have to say about it. However, if I find a solution I'll let you know. :)

SuicideAngel, that card will not work in Snow Leopard, but it will work in Lion. It's actually too new for Snow Leopard. :D What you want to do is install Snow Leopard first, update to 10.6.6, purchase and install Lion with xMove or UniBeast, and then you should have graphics support.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Actually, that is the exact same error that my Dell Optiplex 780 was having. When I posted the issue, apparently that means there is a DSDT issue. I'm testing a method for extracting DSDT from a Linux Live CD and I'll get back to you.

ralpho

ralpho

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No matter what boot disk I use they fail. Even ones that use to work.
This one stops at mounting done I swap disk hit f5 but nothing.

I cant really figure what gives because there use to be no problem.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Hm....can you take a video/screenshots?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Oh, elite-fusion, you'd have to check to see if your video card is onboard (soldered onto the logic board) or a separate component. If it is separate, you might be able to replace it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy