Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Tj Pfleger

Tj Pfleger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I hope this different kernel will work well. I have tried other guides, and have some install success, but after reboot, "No boot sector found" :(......

elite-fusion

elite-fusion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Your error is with your computer's clock, I believe. That can be as simple as an additional kext. In the installer, did you choose the ElliotForceLegacyRTC option?

No i did not select that, did I need to?

elite-fusion

elite-fusion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
I have also tride enabling it and reinstalling it but still no go

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
We may need to do a DSDT patch for your system. Do you have a Linux Live CD?

Post this problem in the Snow Leopard forum, too. Someone may be able to help you there, too.

Derrick Berg, your hardware looks good. You may have issues with your graphics card, though.

I would purchase a nVidia card, if possible.

Tj, here's the kernel. Sorry I had my MacBook in the shop: http://www.mediafire...o7jj597eyv57149

I'll post instructions by tomorrow. For now put the kernel on a USB drive.

elite-fusion

elite-fusion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
As for live linux cd, I dont have one now but can get one... I think i have a sandybridge onboard graphics card

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
For your onboard card, if it's Intel HD Graphics 3000 it will work perfectly, as Apple uses these ones in their 13" MacBook Pros.

elite-fusion

elite-fusion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Not sure if its that one or not but i know its an onboard card, so what is the next step for me :) to get this thing to work?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
elite-fusion, if you want to check your card look it up in Device Manager. Under Display Adapters see what it says. What we have to do now is extract your DSDT from Linux, which I will look up and inform you with instructions.

Tj, here's how you use the kernel:

Drag it onto the root of an external USB drive (flash [color=#176BA1 !important][font=inherit !important][color=#176BA1 !important][font=inherit !important]drive[/font][/font][/color][/color], hard drive etc.) and boot into the ModCD as normal with the USB drive plugged in. When the ModCD loads, swap it with your DVD. Now you will type the code to access your kernel something like this:

hd(1,0)/legacy_kernel-10.6.8

Here's how to determine what to type. When Chameleon loads, it numbers the hard drives (which includes USB drives but does not include CD drives) from 0 to however many drives are in your system, starting with any ATA drives, then SATA drives, then USB drives. So, if you have one SATA drive in your system, the SATA drive would be drive 0, and your USB drive would be drive one. If you have two hard drives in your system, those two would be drives 0 and 1 and your USB drive would be drive 2.

Next, you will need to know the partition number of your drive. It is numbered the same way, starting with 0. If you have one partition and it's Master Boot Record, it will be partition 0. So, now here's where these numbers come in.

First, you will type the following:

hd(

Next, you will insert the drive number of your USB drive followed by a comma. For this example, there is only one hard drive.

hd(1,

Next, you will insert the partition number of the drive, most likely 0, followed by the end parentheses.

hd(1,0)

After that, if you put the kernel at the root of the drive and not in a folder, you will end up with:

hd(1,0)/legacy_kernel-10.6.8

If you put it in a folder (or a number of folders), you would just add them to the beginning.

hd(1,0)/your/folders/legacy_kernel-10.6.8

Let me know if this all makes sense. :)

elite-fusion

elite-fusion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Any instructions on how to do the dsts in linux? Im a bit of a n00b at this

yugioff

yugioff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I can install on my compaq presario v3026tu (Core Duo T2050 1.6 Ghz, Intel 945GM Express chipset, GMA950, ram 1x2GB) but with a panic "allocMem" when boot (image attached)
i can get through this when using safe boot with nonfunction mouse, sound and poor graphic (maybe more) cant' do anything in this page
Any Step-by-step solution you can help? because it's my first time using macosx
Thank you in advance :thumbsup_anim:

Attached Files

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
yugioff, are you booting with the mach_kernel?

Most likely, if your computer is like my MacBook, the GMA 950's VRAM is shared with the system RAM, so OS X may be having trouble with RAM allocation. Boot with the legacy kernel (just press enter) and see what happens.

elite-fusion, I found a DSDT extracting guide for Linux, but I wanted to test it myself to put it into plain English. However, if you would like to try it, here's the link: http://linux-hybrid-...s.blogspot.com/

You can skip the last step; we don't need it in .tar.gz format.

yugioff

yugioff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

yugioff, are you booting with the mach_kernel?

Most likely, if your computer is like my MacBook, the GMA 950's VRAM is shared with the system RAM, so OS X may be having trouble with RAM allocation. Boot with the legacy kernel (just press enter) and see what happens.

i never type "mach_kernel" only "-v -x -f" into safe boot and "just press enter" once to encounter panic

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
You shouldn't need to type those boot flags. When you boot, just hit enter and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, you can do a safe boot; type:

-x USBBusFix=Yes

-x boots the system in safe mode, and the USBBusFix should fix your mouse issues. You don't need to worry about -v, as nawcom already inserted that in the ModCD's com.apple.boot.plist.

yugioff

yugioff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

You shouldn't need to type those boot flags. When you boot, just hit enter and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, you can do a safe boot; type:

-x USBBusFix=Yes

-x boots the system in safe mode, and the USBBusFix should fix your mouse issues. You don't need to worry about -v, as nawcom already inserted that in the ModCD's com.apple.boot.plist.

"when only enter" - i get the same panic
"-x USBBusFix=Yes" - i get safe boot with my mouse(trackpad) not working so i cant do anything even shutdown or restart

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Do you have a USB mouse? That might be your best bet. Most likely the safe boot disables the PS/2 controller.

Try typing mach_kernel and see what happens.

yugioff

yugioff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
mach_kernel - i see app icon only and my hdd dont load anything
and right now i can safe boot with usb mouse function
so what about normal boot?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
We can worry about normal boot once you have OS X installed. Often issues that occur with the installation DVD do not occur with the actual installation.

Even if they do happen, safe boot will still allow you to navigate and use your computer to a (limited) functional extent, which is just fine for troubleshooting.

yugioff

yugioff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
but the panic i found happen after i installed mac os x completely
so i have to mess with kext to fuction all of my hardware right now?

ps now i made a combo update from 10.6 to 10.6.7 and safe boot with and without usbfix and my usb mouse still cant move

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
The reason is you need a kernel update. You can download the package here.

Since you updated, try the mach_kernel again.

Tj Pfleger

Tj Pfleger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think i understand it pretty well, i will have to try in when i get a chance. Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy