Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
776 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Unfortunately, no. The only Spanish I can do is Google Translate. ;)

javierandress

javierandress

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
ok fotographic,Posted Image

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Ok, that's not a kernel panic, but it is the infamous "still waiting for root device". You will need to post your PCI IDs here; you will need to check the FAQ about vendor and device IDs to find out how.

javierandress

javierandress

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
you could help me?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
http://www.insanelym...-do-i-use-them/

Read through this and post the vendor & device IDs from your system. If you need help let me know in this thread (not PM).

wws12

wws12

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

http://www.insanelym...-do-i-use-them/

Read through this and post the vendor & device IDs from your system. If you need help let me know in this thread (not PM).

Hey spooky I've got an issue installing. I have a Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 mobo with a Core i3-2120 proc. I boot ModCd and switch the daicsc. When I select the SL DVD, a bunch of white text flows down the screen and then a Greg box pops up telling me to press Q to continue. If I do, the computer restarts. In verbose mode I read through the messages and it looks like something is going wrong at "Resolution" After that I get a bunch of numbers in a square formation. Do you think you could help with this? I also get some Failed to find BIOS device errors. Thanks for your help and great guide!

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
wws, Sandy Bridge CPUs do not work with the mach_kernel. Try it again without typing mach_kernel and post a picture if something goes wrong.

wws12

wws12

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

wws, Sandy Bridge CPUs do not work with the mach_kernel. Try it again without typing mach_kernel and post a picture if something goes wrong.

I have tried with and without mach_kernel, same issue

Is it because I don't have a discrete gfx card installed?

Also, I forgot to mention that I used the nawcom modcd from osx86.net. Should I use the one in the OP?

javierandress

javierandress

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
my Motherboard es:
Gigabye h77m-d3h

Chipset

• Intel H77 Chipset

Ok, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&SUBSYS_116019DA&REV_A2

Taffy3

Taffy3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Computer Science Major, Automobiles, Acoustic Guitar are "Me" in general. :D
So after a long break from OSX86 due to selling my Intel PC and at the time AMD was not supported by OSX86....I decided to give installing OSX on my HP DV7-3065dx a go.

I was able to boot into my 10.6 Snow Leopard disc and went to town installing the OS.
Formatted the drive.
Installed OSX without a hiccup.

Then I tried booting and the boot process hangs and I am unable to boot into OSX.
Booting from the ModCD using the Legacy_Kernel parameter and it will boot, with limited features of course. Graphics seem to be a little messed up and WiFi isn't working.
Which is funny because I installed the legacy kernel when I installed OSX.

I have a video of the problem. It's quite long because I ramble but I could definitely use some help. I've tried re installing with different customization but no dice.
Am I missing some kexts?

Forgive the quality. its from my 4S. And me sounding like im a high college student. I was insanely tired and it was 3am trying to get this working.

Specs of my laptop.

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

-Tom-

rajt

rajt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
Great guide you have set up and i understood most of it.
I followed your guide and installed Snow Leopard 10.6 successfully it works perfectly.
Only problem i am facing is no ethernet and no audio :worried_anim:
Also i got the hardware Ids as in the first step but i didnt use them anywhere so what i am to do with those?
These are my PC specs:

Cpu: Intel Core i5-Sandy Bridge(Socket 1155 LGA)
Motherboard:Intel DH61WW
RAM:4 GB DDR3 Single Module
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts

I have tried with and without mach_kernel, same issue

Is it because I don't have a discrete gfx card installed?

Also, I forgot to mention that I used the nawcom modcd from osx86.net. Should I use the one in the OP?

You aren't going to be using mach_kernel, have you tried the modbin kernel? Try that; the instructions are displayed when you boot the ModCD.

Discrete graphics doesn't affect whether or not Sandy Bridge is supported; Sandy Bridge is only officially supported in 10.6.8 and later. With earlier versions (a.k.a. the installer) you must use a different kernel.

And for good measure, use the ModCD in the OP. I have a feeling they are the same, but let's not take any chances. ;) Please post a pic of what goes wrong.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&SUBSYS_116019DA&REV_A2

Hm...not sure you have the right ID. Vendor ID 10DE is nVIDIA, not Intel. Look for one that's VEN_8086.

So after a long break from OSX86 due to selling my Intel PC and at the time AMD was not supported by OSX86....I decided to give installing OSX on my HP DV7-3065dx a go.

I was able to boot into my 10.6 Snow Leopard disc and went to town installing the OS.
Formatted the drive.
Installed OSX without a hiccup.

Then I tried booting and the boot process hangs and I am unable to boot into OSX.
Booting from the ModCD using the Legacy_Kernel parameter and it will boot, with limited features of course. Graphics seem to be a little messed up and WiFi isn't working.
Which is funny because I installed the legacy kernel when I installed OSX.

I have a video of the problem. It's quite long because I ramble but I could definitely use some help. I've tried re installing with different customization but no dice.
Am I missing some kexts?

You know what, I'm not even sure what's up...I'll have to look up a solution...

Hi,
Great guide you have set up and i understood most of it.
I followed your guide and installed Snow Leopard 10.6 successfully it works perfectly.
Only problem i am facing is no ethernet and no audio :worried_anim:
Also i got the hardware Ids as in the first step but i didnt use them anywhere so what i am to do with those?

The hardware IDs are used to patch drivers so your hardware works. We'll be using your Ethernet ID. :) Post your Ethernet ID here.

For audio, did you install AC'97 or VoodooHDA?

wws12

wws12

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

You aren't going to be using mach_kernel, have you tried the modbin kernel? Try that; the instructions are displayed when you boot the ModCD.

Discrete graphics doesn't affect whether or not Sandy Bridge is supported; Sandy Bridge is only officially supported in 10.6.8 and later. With earlier versions (a.k.a. the installer) you must use a different kernel.

And for good measure, use the ModCD in the OP. I have a feeling they are the same, but let's not take any chances. ;) Please post a pic of what goes wrong.

Hm...not sure you have the right ID. Vendor ID 10DE is nVIDIA, not Intel. Look for one that's VEN_8086.

The hardware IDs are used to patch drivers so your hardware works. We'll be using your Ethernet ID. :) Post your Ethernet ID here.

Sorry for not replying, but I wanted to let you know that I successfully installed SL, updated to 10.6.8, and am now downloading ML. Thanks for your help getting this far!

Taffy3

Taffy3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Computer Science Major, Automobiles, Acoustic Guitar are "Me" in general. :D

Yeah i'm not sure what's up either. I've been Using Windows 7 for now. It's weird that it hangs there. I thought the same exact thing.
Thanks for the help anyways. If you find something let me know.

-Tom-

rajt

rajt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Well here is my ethernet ID

Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1503] (rev 05)
I got them in linux.
As for sound no i havent installed the ones u mentioned above should i do that?

Also the Usb should be working without installing any drivers right?
Also i downloaded the 10.6.8 update from the apple downloads should i apply it?

doomyxx

doomyxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey,

I've been having troubles installing Snow Leopard on my pc
I used ModCD and got the "Still waiting for root device" error.
Here is my pc specs:
Motherboard Name Biostar MCP6PB M2+
Motherboard Chipset nForce6150-430
CPU Name AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
RAM 2GB DDR2 SDRAM
Video Card ATI HD5670 Sapphire 1GB GDDR5
HDD ST3320613AS (298 GB)
I saw that you asked for the hardware IDs from others with this problem so here they are:
HDD Disk&Ven_ST332061&Prod_3AS
AMD HD5670 VEN_1002&DEV_68D8&SUBSYS_E166174B&REV_00
CD ROM CdRomTSSTcorp_CDDVDW_SH-S222A________________SB00____
NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller VEN_10DE&DEV_03F6&SUBSYS_54051565&REV_A2
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller VEN_10DE&DEV_03EC&SUBSYS_34071565&REV_A2
Ethernet VEN_10DE&DEV_03EF&SUBSYS_25051565&REV_A2
CPU AuthenticAMD_-_x86_Family_15_Model_107_-_AMD_Athlon(tm)_64_X2_Dual_Core_Processor_5600+
Realtek HDA FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0662&SUBSYS_15658217&REV_1001
ATI HDMI Audio FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1002
PCI standard ISA bridge VEN_10DE&DEV_03E0&SUBSYS_34071565&REV_A2
NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management VEN_10DE&DEV_03EB&SUBSYS_34071565&REV_A2
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge VEN_10DE&DEV_03E8&SUBSYS_000010DE&REV_A2
PCI standard RAM Controller VEN_10DE&DEV_03EA&SUBSYS_CB8410DE&REV_A1

I think the problem is with my motherboard because I didn't find any AHCI settings in BIOS. Here are some screens from my bios
Attached File  IMG_0140.JPG   283.58KB   4 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0141.JPG   253.98KB   2 downloads

Anyone knows what I can do ?
Thanks!

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,596 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >
@ doomyxx

AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) is a technical standard defined by Intel that specifies the operation of Serial ATA (SATA) host bus adapters.

However, RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) is a much older technology that predates AHCI and SATA technology, but which nonetheless offers essentially the same feature set, i.e. functionality, that is available in AHCI making them identical in single hard drive applications.

Which is why enabling RAID mode and the SATA controller in the BIOS of a non-Intel, i.e. non-AHCI MOBO, while disabling the individual SATA RAID channels in the BIOS, effectively enables the AHCI feature set as far as OS X and SATA devices are concerned.

I hope this answers your question.........see my OS X BIOS settings template for nForce chipset MOBOs via the links in my nForce OS X Install Guide topics...... :)

By the way your MOBO has an NVIDIA nforce430a chipset and integrated GeForce 6150 graphics.......so have you installed an AppleNForceATA.kext?

Cheers
verdant

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts

By the way your MOBO has an NVIDIA nforce430a chipset and integrated GeForce 6150 graphics.......so have you installed an AppleNForceATA.kext?

The ModCD has NForceATA. As long as the NForce 430a doesn't need a newer NForceATA for SL than what's on the ModCD (from about 2010).

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,596 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >
@PookyMacMan

Hopefully it will be OK, since it is reported in the OSx86 HCL10.6.2 Wiki for the nForce 430a chipset that:
# SATA/IDE: Works using Slashhack's AppleNForceATA kext (stable with 4+GB RAM)
# Optical: Only works with MeDevil's AppleNForceATA 32-bit kext (must limit to 2GB RAM)

doomyxx

doomyxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply!
I've read the BIOS settings template and will try it shortly.
This will sound noobish but...how do I install a kext? I can't get to install the OS, I thought I have to install the kext afterwards. I've read some other posts saying that you can load custom kext in ModCD but I can't see any option to do so. The version of the ModCD I am using is 0.3.2. I also tried 0.3.1.
So how can I installAppleNForceATA.kext before installing the OS ? I will edit my post after I try changing the BIOS settings

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy