Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

zpliptzy

zpliptzy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I finally got the install process to finish, by using the modbin_kernel (typing, "rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin_kernel after pressing f5 to refresh disk in the drive), but now it doesnt boot into Snow Leopard. Ive tried different versions (10.6.0, 10.6.3), and both won't boot-it comes up with a screen like this:

boot0: test
boot0: test
boot0: failure

I heard that the first boot can take 5-10 minutes, so I went on the extra cautious route and let it sit for 2 hrs, and nothing changed. I then tried to boot with the Mod disk in, booting using the modbin_kernel method, and it comes up with a load of lines, but still no boot after hours. Not sure what I'm doing, but I'm fairly sure I've hit a dead end. Cant find anybody else who's gotten this chip to boot, or even tried with it

taktu

taktu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
@zpliptzy

I've got the FX-4100 AMD CPU and after installing with the modCD I can't get it to boot. modbin_kernel just hangs after a while.

Joomluh12

Joomluh12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
If you install with ModCD/USB on an AMD machine, you boot with legacy_kernel post installation. You'll also need to use the arch=i386 -force64 flags, and find what busratio to use.

TheRacerMaster

TheRacerMaster

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hey Pooky, any idea when you're going to re-release the Magic ModCD? I have some AMD friends who are itching to get Lion on their machines (they're running Snow Leopard stable with everything working, but badly want Lion).

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Hey Racer, :)

I have been able to do limited debugging and testing. However, during this next week (school break! Yeah, baby! :D) I'll probably have time for more testing. Hopefully anyway. :) (I'm assuming that you have told your friends about the reliablity issues with non-Bulldozer AMD CPUs and Lion?) In any case, I will definitely need beta testers.

Also, there is a secret InsanelyMac project behind the scenes...I may end up merging my ModCD project with that.one in the future.

TheRacerMaster

TheRacerMaster

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Yes, I've told 'em about the issues with it being unstable, but they're willing to test it on their systems. A secret InsanelyMac project? Interesting... Well I'm very sure my friends would like to beta test.

no girls

no girls

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hi I really need help please... heres my situation:
i successfully booted os x onto my computer that was already running windows 7. i tried rebooting but it only brought me to the mac os x boot so i used the windows 7 recovery disk. on the disk, i clicked repair windows but it couldnt find my windows operating system. please help! if you could be kind enough to tell me step by step what i should do... thank you so much

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Well, if it won't work with Repair your computer, you only have one option - copy all your important data onto your Mac partition or another drive, and reinstall Windows 7, and use the dual-boot method given in this guide.

TA9

TA9

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey
@PookyMacMan
help me out on this one.
whenever i get to the installation screen
my mouse does not work
and can i use i+boot instead of dual booting?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
Laptop or desktop? If laptop, plug in a USB mouse. Post your specs or add them to your signature.

i Boot cannot substitute dual booting, and i Boot is a tonymac solution that we do not tolerate on InsanelyMac. If you really want to keep booting from a CD every single time you start the computer, you can use the ModCD. But dual booting is so much easier, it's not daunting at all. I even gave you a verbatim guide to follow. ;) I would recommend a dual boot.

no girls

no girls

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
so i used the nawcom cd and mac cd and successfully installed mac to my windows partition. i think osx is my main partition now. i tried rebooting and it gave me the chameleon boot loader to choose which os i wanted to boot to and it works fine. Then I used a windows recovery disk to make it so that i could boot into windows. i then made the windows partition active. On windows, i used easybcd to make it so i could dual boot using the windows partition. Then I rebooted my computer
after rebooting, i choose the mac boot up but this time it shows me a different chameleon page and i select mac osx and then it gets stuck at this grey apple logo screen. If i use the nawcom cd to boot into mac, it works, without the cd, it doesn’t.
how can I make it so that i can boot into my windows partition which then lets me choose what os i want to boot to (because of easybcd) then i choose mac osx and the chameleon boot loader loads up and allows me to boot mac normally? So basically whenever i try to boot into mac osx, it gets stuck on a grey apple boot up screen gets stuck on a grey apple boot up screen

rdf1

rdf1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Hi PookyMacMan,
I'm revisiting the wonderful world of OSX86 after a gap of 3 years or so. I've updated my HPdx2300 to run SL10.6 using your great guide, and I have a stable install - being used for this post. I've downloaded the 10.6.7 Combo Update, and installed it OK. But at first, neither the keyboard or mouse (both USB) would work in 10.6.7. Suspecting a kernel version mismatch, I rebooted with your ModCD (version current as of yesterday with created date 032311), and at the first menu, I selected the Snow Leopard box on the right, pressed enter, and happily 10.6.7 rebooted with working mouse and keyboard. Thinking this process might have written something permanently into the SL installation, I was disappointed that restarting/rebooting without ModCD in the drive resulted again in no mouse or keyboard operation. Can you suggest what I need to do to make the mouse/KB work permanently in 10.6.7 without going through this convoluted booting process? Your help would be greatly appreciated - Rob

EDIT 1: Problem Solved. I downloaded pre-10.6.6 versions of IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorage.kext and replaced the 10.6.7 versions with them, using the IOUSBFamily.378.pkg from www.sysprobs.com. Repaired permissions and rebooted to 10.6.7. Now operating perfectly!
Once I get a feel for 10.6.7 on the HP dx2300 - which btw has a P4 pentium processor - I'll start looking to see if an upgrade to 10.6.8 and beyond is possible and/or feasible.

EDIT 2: New Problem - usb thumb drives/flash cards that used to work on earlier versions of 10.6 are no longer detected by 10.6.7. Am i chasing my own tail here, or is there another way of getting my thumb/flash drives to work, whlst at the same time keeping the USB mouse and KB going? BTW, plugging a usb drive into the usb port normally used by the KB doesn't work either. Yet the same usb drives work just fine on my real iMac. What gives? Err.... is anyone home?

rdf1

rdf1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
I want to thank PookyMacMan very much for this wonderful guide. Also for his clear, unambiguous langauge, politeness and patience. I've now successfully installed SL 10.6.7 on to my computer, both in standalone mode and with Windows XP in dual boot mode. The Chameleon bootloader which is incorporated into Pooky's ModCD boot disk worked straight off, and I did not need to follow step 3b of the Guide to get either OS to work right from the HDD. I also found that you could add SL to a HDD with Windows XP existing on it, or the other way round. To get full USB functionality, I installed legacy_kernel-10.7.0.pkg (see post #287, page 15 this guide) before installing the SL10.6.7 combo update. This combo update took me straight from the retail 10.6 install to 10.6.7 without problems. I used Kext Helper b7 to install the AppleIntel8255x.kext to get the ethernet port working. Audio worked OOB. I downloaded a print driver for my ancient HP psc1200 printer, and everything works perfectly.

My computer is an old HP dx2300 Tower, vintage about 2007. It has a proprietary HP motherboard and graphics "card", and a Pentium 4 single core processor running at 3.0 GHz. Also attached are an 80GB and a 500GB SATA HDD, and a 320GB external usb drive for Time Machine. My next venture will be to try the 10.6.8 upgrade (with mods) on the standalone install of 10.6.7, and possibly onwards to 10.7 Lion. BTW SL 10.6.7 is quite fast on the dx2300 - not quite in the same league as on an iMac, but not too shabby either.

Edited by PookyMacMan, 17 November 2012 - 03:16 PM.
While I appreciate the compliments, please do not publicly criticize moderators.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
Glad I could help, rdf1. :D Some tips for 10.6.8: if you're using the legacy kernel, remember to update it to its 10.6.8 version. Also add npci=0x2000 in the Kernel Flags section of org.chameleon.boot.plist (or com.apple.*.*). If you have any other issues, let me know. :) For Lion, though, we'll need to wait for the new legacy kernel to come out for old Intel CPUs, an effort is underway. ;)

rdf1

rdf1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Glad I could help, rdf1. :D Some tips for 10.6.8: if you're using the legacy kernel, remember to update it to its 10.6.8 version. Also add npci=0x2000 in the Kernel Flags section of org.chameleon.boot.plist (or com.apple.*.*). If you have any other issues, let me know. :) For Lion, though, we'll need to wait for the new legacy kernel to come out for old Intel CPUs, an effort is underway. ;)

Hi again PookyMM,
Firstly, apologies for comments in earlier post re others etc.
I've read all 36 pages of this topic previously, but can't just remember where you referred to updating the legacy kernel to its 10.6.8 version. I do have the legacy kernel, and I did update it to its 10.6.7 (10.7.0 Lion) version as per post #287 on p15 of this. But because I wasn't looking for stuff on the 10.6.8 install, I must have missed the reference to its revised kernel. So if you could point me in the right direction? I have the 10.6.8 upgrade on a usb stick - downloaded from the Apple store I think - and presumably the method is to install the 10.6.8 legacy kernel, then run the 10.6.8 update. Your instructions on adding the line to the chameleon.boot.plist are understood - thanks. As for the future upgrade of the legacy kernel for Lion - well, I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's released. I have a whole swag of questions relating to the theory of your ModCD, RAM Disks, kexts and so on, but will save them for another time. However if you can point me to some web references which outline the whole process i'd be grateful.
Best wishes.

EDIT: OK, I've found the reference to legacy_kernel-10.6.8 at post #68. Now I'm confused about the exact sequence of doing things. Firstly, does the 10.6.8 upgrade depend on having 10.6.7 already installed? (as it did on real Macs). If so, then when in the install sequence is the legacy_kernel-10.6.8 installed, and when is the org.chameleon.boot.plist amended? It would be better if the legacy_kernel-10.6.8 came with its own installer - ie a .pkg suffix - so that it could be installed from within 10.6.7. Then the plist and the uupgrade could also be run from within 10.6.7. Can I convert the legacy_kernel-10.6.8 file into an install package?

If I have to install 10.6.8 from scratch, then am I right in assuming the following sequence:

1 Boot into the ModCD with the USB drive containing the legacy_kernel-10.6.8 plugged in.
2 After ModCD has loaded, type hd(x,y)/legacy_kernel-10.6.8 at the menu screen
3 Remove ModCD and insert retail DVD of 10.6.0, press F5
4 At the language screen when Mac OSX Installer has loaded, use Disk Utility to select the partition onto which 10.6.8 will be installed and erase anything on it (in my case the now working 10.6.7 install and the legacy_kernel-10.6.7).
5 When 10.6.0 has installed, change the org.chameleon.boot.plist as described above.
6 Run the 10.6.8 upgrade package, remove the ModCD and the usb drive, and reboot into 10.6.8
7 Adjust the various kexts for ethernet, audio etc

Sorry for such a convoluted edit, but if there is a way I can install 10.6.8 from within 10.6.7, and thereby avoid having to re-install all the other apps such as iLife, Open Office, Firefox, TimeMachine etc, it would save me quite a bit of time. Thanks in anticipation. Rob

rdf1

rdf1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Took the plunge and successfully installed 10.6.8. Basic method was to boot into the 10.6.7 install, download the legacy_kernel-10.6.8.pkg from the osx86 site, download the MacOSXUpd10.6.8.dmg package from Apple, and add the string to the com.apple.Boot.plist Kernel Flags key so that it read arch=i386 npci=0x2000. Then I ran the legacy kernel package, then the update package, and rebooted. Immediate success, with ethernet and audio still working, and all other software from the 10.6.7 install being intact. Right now I'm downloading a cople of GB of Apple updates for this software, so I'll soon find out if the new install is stable. but, so far so good. thanks PookyMM. Rob

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
Double update here:

1. No more PM support!!!!!!! I do not have time anymore to answer PMs. Any info I asked you to PM me for previously I will post here. Any problems that you have: post in this thread!!!

2. I am, well...kinda stuck on the Magic ModCD. :blush: But, I would love some help! Anyone who either 1. has (fairly) extensive knowledge of Chameleon, 2. is experienced in RAM disks (I think it's fully related to Chameleon), 3. experience in Perl, Python, Ruby or similar scripting languages, or 4. interested in learning more about the aforementioned three. :) If you have good knowledge of the Mac OS installation mechanism, that would be a bonus!

Please, please, if you can help, I would appreciate it! :thumbsup_anim:

javierandress

javierandress

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I get a panic ?

I have the following specifications:

- Procesador: Intel Core 2 Duo
- T.Videjo: Zotac Geforce 210
- Disco duro: 1 TB
- Ram: 8 Gigabite
- Lector y Grabador de DVD.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
javierandress, your specs are good. Please post a picture of the panic.

Also, for installation only you must reduce your RAM to 4GB. Either physically remove some, or type maxmem=4096.

javierandress

javierandress

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
you speak spanish?

I send the photo immediately....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy