Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
In that case then the 950 will work perfectly. :)

Ninja_Harbinger

Ninja_Harbinger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Ok, so I got it installed with that guide although I can't boot into it now. When I use the windows bootloader, it gives me a chain booting error. When I boot from the CD, I get a double panic (?).

Here's the screen Posted Image

This is what it says:

Debugger called: <double panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame: Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x34478908: 0x241b3a4(0x58c612 0x2 0x223a12) warning: invalid kernel ip, won't attempt to handle trap

EDIT: Ok, I think I fixed the bootloader option but I haven't tried it yet. I'll try it soon.

br_93

br_93

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey there, I'm actually not really new to this topic but it has been a fairly amount of time since my last attempts to get Mac OS X running on this device (except for the last 2 days). So you can treat me like a noob because I sort of am.

So let's get started:
First I tried to get this thing running with tonymacx86's ###### (both the regular one and the legacy one) but it failed several times. Then today I stumbled over this cool ModCD, which is basically the same as ######, right? And since I'm trying to install Snow Leopard (I've got the 10.6 retail disc, not the newer 10.6.3 one), I won't need the yet offline "Magic" ModCD, right?
With both, ###### and ModCD, I tried to boot into the installation DVD with it telling me the same errors several times now (see screenshot). I also used following flags in several combos:
"mach_kernel" (it has a Core 2 Duo CPU), "legacy_kernel", I also used the provided "modcd_kernel" (or what was it called...?) and the safe mode (-x). I even tried it with "PCIRootUID=1" and "GraphicsEnabler=No". I'm kinda frustrated right now...

Here are the specs:
Acer Aspire 5633 WLMi (I guess the computer was manufactured in 2007 or 2006)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5500
GPU: Intel GMA 950M
Motherboard: Intel Mobile 945GM

If you need more information, I probably can provide it since I did that PCI IDs scanning on Ubuntu (the OS currently on that machine; by the way, I'm planning on replace my Ubuntu Server with a Mac OS X Server) and I also had worked on that machine for about 5 years now.
I also have access to my fancy MacBook Pro, just in case I need a running OS X installation to do some USB Thumb drive, packages-moving magic things...

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot:
https://www.dropbox....%2018.55.43.jpg

edit1: I can't figure out, why the tool beginning with i and ending with Boot from tonymacx86 is censored with ##'s but it is. Okay... just in case you wanted to know what that ##'s are supposed to be.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
@Ninja...that is quite awkward. Let me know what happens when you try the new thing. If it doesn't work, try booting in single-user mode (-s at the boot prompt) and typing the following:
/sbin/mount -uw
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
exit
If it still doesn't work, enter single-user mode again and type:
/sbin/mount -uw
voodoohda-uninstall
exit

@br_93, thanks for being descriptive. :) It helps a lot. That screenshot, however, shows no error; the booting process hasn't even started yet, it is still in the Chameleon loading stage. Does it stop there and never change? If that is the case, try burning the ModCD at the lowest possible speed and try all the kernels again. (BTW, the one you were thinking of before was the modbin_kernel).

Tonymac's tools are censored because we forbid any discussion whatsoever of tonymac tools/methods. For more info, read here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=279451

br_93

br_93

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

@br_93, thanks for being descriptive. :) It helps a lot. That screenshot, however, shows no error; the booting process hasn't even started yet, it is still in the Chameleon loading stage. Does it stop there and never change? If that is the case, try burning the ModCD at the lowest possible speed and try all the kernels again. (BTW, the one you were thinking of before was the modbin_kernel).

Tonymac's tools are censored because we forbid any discussion whatsoever of tonymac tools/methods. For more info, read here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=279451

Well thanks for that quick response. I also wrote you a PM because I thought, you wanted it that way (since you're telling people to do so.) Feel free to ignore that since you've already answered my question here.
Okay, I'll burn it in the lowest possible speed but can I also know why this would change anything? BTW yes, it does never change in that state. I'll report back and I already stumbled over that tonymac thread. Didn't know that he's being such a jerk...

edit1: I burned that ModCD on the lowest possible speed (2x) with the program "Burn". Then I tried to boot with "mach_kernel", "modbin_kernel" ("rd(0,0)/E..."), safemode ("-x") and again it just stops at reading smbios.plist with that DSDT-error... What am I supposed to do?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
The reason why is because there is a chance that the file(s) was/were unreliably burned. But, your results prove that was not the case. I am not exactly sure what's up, I'll do some testing on my hack and I'll see if I can make some mods to the ModCD (no pun intended). :)

Oh, and are you sure that your CD burner still works as it should? Just checking. :)

And, finally, I forgot to say that if you want OS X Server, you're going to need to install OS X Server. They (client/server) came in separate versions before Lion.

br_93

br_93

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The reason why is because there is a chance that the file(s) was/were unreliably burned. But, your results prove that was not the case. I am not exactly sure what's up, I'll do some testing on my hack and I'll see if I can make some mods to the ModCD (no pun intended). :)

Oh, and are you sure that your CD burner still works as it should? Just checking. :)

And, finally, I forgot to say that if you want OS X Server, you're going to need to install OS X Server. They (client/server) came in separate versions before Lion.

Yes, my CD/DVD bruner should work as it's supposed to. I rarely used it in the whole lifetime of my MacBook Pro and I never dropped my machine. Except for that I just burned a music CD last week and it was just okay. But it's always good to ask things out :-)

Yes, I've got the OS X Server 10.6 DVD right here. Actually my boss gave it to me (I paid that off for a symbolic Euro) since our office is moving to Mountain Lion.
It's cool that you provide such a personal service, that's not going without saying everywhere.

Also, while I'm still interested, I just tried another method using the "myHack" application to create a installer USB drive to successfully install SL Server on that computer. I just got to enter "mach_kernel" (I knew that from here :-) ) und verbose mode (-v) and it booted up nicely. But that just worked as a "out-of-the-box" solution and anyway it's not taking my Server serial number, so I want to install SL retail (I got that DVD) and then upgrade to server. I really want to see what's behind that, so I'll stick to this thread (while experimenting with that "myHack"-thingies.).

Also I'll try to install Lion later on (since I got that for free from Apple's up-to-date-program) and if that works, I'll see any further then.

Sorry for my really long and boring story about what I'm going to do, anyway, thanks for your support. I'm ready to do whatever has to be done. I've got the whole summer (or at least some of it).

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Not boring at all. :)

myHack is actually an incredible solution, in the same class as the ModCD. :) Conti (myHack dev) and nawcom (ModCD dev) often work together too. The only reason why I don't promote myHack on this thread is because it requires an existing OS X installation. But it's awesome.

OS X Server will run great once you can get the serial to work. :P

Ninja_Harbinger

Ninja_Harbinger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

@Ninja...that is quite awkward. Let me know what happens when you try the new thing. If it doesn't work, try booting in single-user mode (-s at the boot prompt) and typing the following:

/sbin/mount -uw
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
exit
If it still doesn't work, enter single-user mode again and type:
/sbin/mount -uw
voodoohda-uninstall
exit

I'll do that as soon as I can. Thanks.

br_93

br_93

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Not boring at all. :)

myHack is actually an incredible solution, in the same class as the ModCD. :) Conti (myHack dev) and nawcom (ModCD dev) often work together too. The only reason why I don't promote myHack on this thread is because it requires an existing OS X installation. But it's awesome.

OS X Server will run great once you can get the serial to work. :P

Okay, cool. I tried the normal SL installation yesterday (well it's Wednesday now in Europe) and ran through like a charm. But the audio support was not given and graphics were pretty basic. Neither WiFi, nor Ethernet worked. In fact, only the PS/2 touchpad, keyboard, CD/DVD-drive and USB worked. I found a working kext for my Broadcom Ethernet card but I can't put it to work. And actually I screwed my installation up with installation to the 10.6.8 combo update.
Help?

edit1: by the way, Lion is not even booting up. It hands at "PCI configuratiion ends".

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
You did install the myHack package after installation, correct?

Give me your PCI IDs and I think I can get you the drivers.

10.6.8 is a very strange bird. However, Lion should be easy to get working once 10.6.8 is working. Try booting with
mach_kernel npci=0x2000 -v
If that doesn't work, try changing the 0x2000 to 0x3000. And if it still doesn't work, try adding -x. If nothing works at all, reinstall 10.6.0.

br_93

br_93

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You did install the myHack package after installation, correct?

Give me your PCI IDs and I think I can get you the drivers.

10.6.8 is a very strange bird. However, Lion should be easy to get working once 10.6.8 is working. Try booting with

mach_kernel npci=0x2000 -v
If that doesn't work, try changing the 0x2000 to 0x3000. And if it still doesn't work, try adding -x. If nothing works at all, reinstall 10.6.0.

I already tried those commands since it's stated on the myHack website.
On it's guide, there's nothing about post-installation running of myHack...? I can try it though. I'm currently preparing my USB drive for installation of 10.6 again.

Here are the ID numbers:
Ethernet card: 14e4:170c (I don't know which one's which, because the Linux terminal output it this way.) Shall be from Broadcom. Model BCM4401-B0
WiFi: 8086:4222 (From Intel; PRO/Wireless 3945ABG)
Graphics: 8086:27a6 (Intel. Within Windows, it's a "Intel 950M" card but Linux says it's a 945GM (which is the model number of the mainboard) card.)
Audio: 8086:27d8 (From Intel, integrated)
Motherboard: 8086:27a6 (strangely that are the same IDs as the graphics.)

But most important is Ethernet since it's going to be a server.
Thanks.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Hm...I may be remembering a different version (older) of myHack...

The syntax for the PCI IDs is [vendorID]:[deviceID]. 14e4 is the vendor ID for Broadcom, and 8086 is Intel's vendor ID.

br_93

br_93

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, I've got my Snow Leopard running now. What am I supposed to do right from here?
I can try to install that Broadcom kext (It's called "AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext") but I already did it before and it said that it could not be loaded. Which program/kext installer should I use...?

Any news about your research for drivers? Well, if I get Ethernet working, everything's secondary. Also, how do I apply updates without getting boot failures? Lots of questions, hope you know some answers, though ^^

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Install that Broadcom kext using the instructions in the FAQ. That should get it working. If it doesn't work still, try deleting the IONetworkingFamily.kext from /Extra/Extensions (make a backup on the Desktop first).

Update to 10.6.7 for now. You'll have the App Store, but without the trouble of 10.6.8. 10.6.8 is a strange bird, we can get that working once everything else is. :)

br_93

br_93

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
There's no IONetworkingFamily.kext in /E/E.
Also, if I refresh the kext caches (as stated at the FAQ), Terminal says that my kexts isn't "authentic" and that it omits it from mkext (which is the cache, isn't it?)

On bootup it says that loading failed. I always boot up with flags "mach_kernel -v"

Anyway, thanks for your help. Do you know anything else to do?
I'll try your further suggestions tomorrow, I've got to leave now. :-)

edit1: Okay, I found that IONetworkingFamily.kext in /S/L/E and removed it. Repaired permissions and created a new mkext file. But Terminal still says, that my Broadcom kext is not authentic and that it is omitted from mkext. Anyway, I'll reboot the computer now.

edit2: This is still not working. I tried both directories and repaired permissions. I rebootet and the Ethernet card is still not recognised...

edit3: Okay, I'm at a point where I'm asking myself whether this complications are worth the simplicity of maintaining an OS X Server. I can't get this f'ing kext to load. I tried both folders. With the instructions in installing from here http://www.insanelym...howtopic=277344 and how to rebuild caches from here http://www.insanelym...howtopic=279023
And still, it won't work. All I really need is Ethernet. Then maybe Audio for AirPlay streaming. Everything else is not important. Does anyone know anything to do? It's still a Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (Ven: 14e4, Dev: 170c). I tried this kext: http://www.osx86.net...00-base-tx.html
I even thought about using a Windows Server... but that won't ever happen!

zpliptzy

zpliptzy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I thought I followed this guide as closely as I could. I'm trying to install 10.6 snow leopard to a Samsung NP305E5A laptop. It has the following specs:

AMD Quad-Core A6-3420M APU
4gb DDR3 (single stick)
500gb hdd
Integrated AMD Radeon™ 6520G Graphics

I've read that AMD cpu's are much harder to get going, just due to the fact that Apple never officially released a system with an AMD cpu in it. I did however get a test system going on my x58 i7 920 desktop system, just to see what should happen. I didnt fiddle around with drivers, so the display looked odd, but everything else seemed to work fine. I used the osx86 mod cd, and a retail distribution of 10.6. I can get the mod cd to boot up, then when I swap the disks to the 10.6 disk, and press enter to have it start booting up the disk, the screen goes black. I've tried restarting, using EmpireEFI boot disk, using different 10.6 versions (I think I have an original 10.6.0, and a 10.6.3), and I'm not sure what else to try. I do try to figure stuff out on my own, as I generally learn more that way, but I've just about hit a wall here. If I can just get it to install, I should be able to get the drivers and such figured out. Thanks in advance for any help!

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Sorry I've been a while guys...chores have gotten to me. :rolleyes:

br_93, try posting this in the networking forum...I don't really know what to do at this point. But, there are some good networking gurus over in the Networking forum who could help you out. ;)

zpliptzy, with Bulldozer CPUs the legacy_kernel (booted by pressing enter) doesn't work. You must use the modbin_kernel. And that graphics card won't fully work either, unfortunately. :(

zpliptzy

zpliptzy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Would this GPU be supported by perhaps 10.7 or 10.8?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
No. It shows no architectural similarities in any way to Apple's AMD GPUs (of which all have been discrete, not integrated.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy