Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
776 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

beamstriker

beamstriker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've tried everything and still I can't make it work. I dont know how to setup bios coz I am using ASRock Extreme 3 770 Motherboard.
My PC Specs: CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE (3.30 GHz)
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4650
RAM:Kingston HiperX 1330 MHz 4GB
HDD: WD 640 GB (can i make 2 partitions one for mac and one for windows :) )
PSU: Seansonic 750W
DVD: Write-Master
MDB: ASRock Extreme 3 770

taktu

taktu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

taktu, you are booting from the old Leopard modbin kernel. Boot with the ModCD, select your HDD, and type rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin_kernel

Didn't think about trying that. Booted as instructed and still got kernel panic, but at least I could snap a pic. Could you take a look at it and see what's wrong?

Attached Files

TheRacerMaster

TheRacerMaster

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hey PookyMacMan, for the Magic ModCD, what Lion DVD do we use? Since Lion isn't sold on a DVD, could you use a DVD created from InstallESD.dmg in the App Store version, like in this guide? http://lifehacker.co...-or-flash-drive

jmi58

jmi58

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

jmi, which NIC are you using? Post model and PCI ID.

NIC is an nVidia MCP55 Ven ID 10de DEV ID 0373
and I believe it's a gigabit adapter that's incorporated on the MOBO

Edit:
I just d/loaded Lion from the app store should I upgrade or do a fresh install?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Kenobi, that's a newer format. Press q and it will boot like it says.

beamstriker, I don't know what to say...try hitting the Delete key (not backspace) and see if you can enter BIOS that way.

taktu, remove SMBIOSResolver.kext.

RacerMaster, that's exacty the DVD I'm talking about. :) I made my DVD in a similar way. Try any Lion version, I really want to know if this works!

beamstriker

beamstriker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can enter in the BIOS System, but I don't know how to edit them. They look different than others motherboards bios :( .I'll post pucture tomorrow.

taktu

taktu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

taktu, remove SMBIOSResolver.kext.

Ok. Removed that .kext, rebooted. Got KP from an unused Realtek kext, removed it. Now it boots, catches boot device, but hangs somewhere after the FireWire full-secure warning (that's the last line on the screen).

rhypo

rhypo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
any1 tried or managed to get lion working with a ati hd2400? or maybe at least snow leopard? thanks

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
taktu, post a pic of the panic.

rhypo, I would post the issue in the ATi forum; I'm not too experienced with ATi cards. (I'm not quite sure about the support for it, but I believe you'll have a better shot at Snow)

mbrubaker

mbrubaker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Pooky,

I tried the ncpi=0x2000 and ncpi=0x300 and neither made any difference. Looking closely it appears that the last line shown before the garbled screen is ATY-Init:starting. Maybe that will give a clue to what is happening. There is also a lot of HD accessing happening at that time.

mbrubaker

mbrubaker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
UPDATE - I did some experimenting and have found that by using the -x command I get a successful boot from the HD (via Chameleon). Since my understanding is that -x is the safe boot command, that must mean the boot problem without -x is a video problem? My video card is an ATI Radeon 4350. Some searching on forums indicates that this is a difficult card to get working with OS X, though some have reported success. It wouldn't be a problem for me to get a different video card, so does anyone have any recommendations? I don't need huge graphics power, as the only gaming I do is with some flight simulators (X Plane on the Mac and a bunch of others on Win XP). Maybe Newegg will have some 7/4 sales.

jmi58

jmi58

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Ok I d/loaded the Lion app from Apple and installed it on my Snow Leopard 10.6.8. The install went without any problems, but after the computer reboots it comes up as Snow Leopard 10.6.8 still. What did I do wrong?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
That's because it only installs the support files for Lion, not Lion itself; normally a Mac would actually boot from a disk image, but hacks cannot. Look up one of the guides here to make a Lion USB drive, then boot from your HDD, press a key and select your USB drive. :)

mbrubaker, yes, that error is related to graphics.

mbrubaker

mbrubaker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think I need to go in a different direction re a video card for my SL install. Does anyone know if an NVIDIA GE Force 210 will work with a hackintosh SL install?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
Yes it does.

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Pooky MacMan - I gave up on the Toshiba. I got no replies to my post on the DSDT forum. Does not matter. However, i have a question on netbooks. We did talk about the GMA 3150. However when I check under netbook compatibility it shows a checkmark against the HP Mini 110 for QE/CI. I don't understand. How do I get QE/CI on a GMA 3150? If there is I want to find out and fix it on my machine. None of the iwork programs or ilife really work well since apparently the Apple programs need QE/CI. Can you let me know if it is possible to get QE/CI on my HP Mini 110 with a GMA 3150? How? Thanks. Srini

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
GMA 3150 = no QE/CI. I have two guesses:

1. Being able to force your native resolution is often confused with having QE/CI. Many times people will say that they have QE/CI, but all they really did was get native resolution. It is obviously not the same thing, as even with native res you still won't have hardware acceleration.
2. Perhaps there was/is more than one configuration for the HP Mini 110? i.e. getting a low end nVIDIA/ATi chip CTO? Are you aware of any such options?

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
I agree with you on point 1. There is a lot of confusion on QE/CI I have found.
I have researched this thing a lot. The HP mini 110 seems to have been only made with the 3150. The HP Mini 1000 and the 211 seem to have used the GMA 950 ......
I think if I have to do this again I would use the Dell mini 10v which seems to have a 950 or the hp mini 1000. eBay also is the right place to get product cheaply.
Now I have the experience to ensure that I have right graphics card before I hackintosh a product.
Thanks.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
Just a note: though the GMA 950 works, the performance is absolutely horrible. My MacBook has the GMA 950, and it is quite atrocious. However, if you simply want the most basic graphics support, it will work. Just know that anything beyond the most simple system animations the chip will be working quite hard. ;)

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
PookyMacMan - anything is better than the 3150, I think. Right now I cannot use anything made by Apple - iwork, ilife etc. I am not looking to play games etc. but to just to use the Apple programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy