Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

PookyMacMan,

I have made progress in my Hackintosh skills thanks to you. The outstanding issues are

• GMA 3150 problem. I have searched the Internet far and wide and have not really found a solution unless I missed something. This also seems to be a standard Hackintosh frustration since I found a ton of posts on this with no solution.
  • Toshiba Satellite A75-206 hackintoshing project. This is a kind of unique thing. The issue here is that the machine gets hung up on finding a bootmedia.

It says that the
    Boot volume – UUID AC96D192-0A41-3118-A4DC-2F69C8206643

Then it proceeds to process

<dict ID=0>
    <key>IO Provider class</key>
    <string> ID=”1”>IO Resources</string>
    <key>IO Resourcematch</key>
    <string> ID=”2”>boot UUID media</string>
    </dict>

Then

USBF : 242.856 (0x5603000) The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device (port # @......)

I am using a USB drive to set up the machine, the same one I am now using for all machines. It gets this far via the USB key then the UUID is the ID for the specific USB key. The port # is the USB port in which the key is plugged in.

Fundamentally it is not finding the same USB key that it is reading from!!!!!!

I am trying to boot from a CD but here also it is hanging.

I can use the Naucom Mod CD and get to the listing of the CD itself and the Windows hard drive. I could prepare the hard drive with the Mac software on another machine and try.

A sane person would probably give up and move on but somehow I can’t let go and want to get this solved.

What do you think?

Srini
Sorry I wrote the thing in Word and copied and pasted. Formatting codes also seem to have shown up!!!!! Srini

Further news on Toshiba Satellite A75-S206
I loaded the operating system on the hard disc and put it back into the Toshiba. Used Nawcom ISO CD to boot, so no USB involved. The machine is still stuck on looking for root device. It keeps saying it is still waiting for root device.

I think we have conclusively established that this is not a USB problem but something else. It is not finding the root device whether it is the USB or the internal hard disc.

Any ideas?
Srini

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
level70steve, I haven't been able to work on the USB kexts, but I haven't forgotten. :)

Srini, the GMA 3150 has no hope for QE/CI, unfortunately...:( But, as far as the Toshiba is concerned, what are the IDs for the data controller?

techgeek, I have a beta version of the Lion ModCD at the top of the guide. :)

jmi58

jmi58

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Not yet.
Is the driver I need on the ModCD or on the SL DVD?

Also ------ Good Luck on your exams!

Ok I checked on the nvidia driver to see if I had to install it using the system info app and it indicated that the kext for the nvidia mpc 55 was already installed.

So I decided to upgrade to 10.6.8 using the combo update. All seemed to go well untill I rebooted. Now I get a kernel panic.
It indicates version mis-match between kernel (23) and CPU PM (24).

Suggestions?

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

level70steve, I haven't been able to work on the USB kexts, but I haven't forgotten. :)

Srini, the GMA 3150 has no hope for QE/CI, unfortunately... :( But, as far as the Toshiba is concerned, what are the IDs for the data controller?

techgeek, I have a beta version of the Lion ModCD at the top of the guide. :)

PookyMacMan
Re; GMA3150 - I was expecting the answer you gave, since Apple does not use the 3150. I was just wondering if there was some way to modify the GMA 950 or 3100 kext but I don't think there is or somebody would have done it by now considering the visibility the 3150 problem has on the boards.
Re: Toshiba - I am quite impressed by the iPortable snow installer. I installed it on an external USB hard drive and then booted the Toshiba off it. Wonder of wonders, the Toshiba boots and I get into the Mac galaxy display ! However, I am not able to use the keyboard and mouse which are PS/2 I am sure. My USB mouse works. I am going to buy a USB keyboard tomorrow and I am confident I will be able to operate the machine. I suspect that I will have to install PS/2 kexts. I will use kext wizard to do this. Btw do you have any suggestions for kexts that I should use?
Srini

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
jmi, boot with pmVersion=0. You'll need to get the 10.6.8 SleepEnabler and put it in /Extra/Extensions.

Srini, the reason why the 3150 is not supported is not as much that Apple didn't use it as much as the driver can't be modded for it. Actually, there is some mod you can do to allow resolution change, but no QE/CI. As for PS/2, install this.

jmi58

jmi58

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

jmi, boot with pmVersion=0. You'll need to get the 10.6.8 SleepEnabler and put it in /Extra/Extensions.

I tried booting with pmVersion=0 and it stopped at [PCI Configuration Begin]

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

jmi, boot with pmVersion=0. You'll need to get the 10.6.8 SleepEnabler and put it in /Extra/Extensions. Srini, the reason why the 3150 is not supported is not as much that Apple didn't use it as much as the driver can't be modded for it. Actually, there is some mod you can do to allow resolution change, but no QE/CI. As for PS/2, install this.

PookyMacMan, thanks for the info. I jumped too soon. The Toshiba does not boot reliably. I am figuring that one out.
In the meantime another question. I am trying to replace a boot file with an older one to get me my 1024x600 res on the Asus. It will not let me do that saying" Cannot replace boot file because it is invisible" I imagine I have to make it visible before I can replace it. How do I make a file visible? I have already tried running "defaults write com.apple.Finder ShowAllFiles YES" in terminal and restarting Finder. That has not helped. Thanks,

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
jmi, boot with pmVersion=0 npci=0x2000

Srini, that command simply shows hidden files. What you can do though, is enable hidden files, drag the invisible file to the trash and then put the new one in it's place. Or just use rm /path/to/file (or rm -R if it's a directory).

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Srini, that command simply shows hidden files. What you can do though, is enable hidden files, drag the invisible file to the trash and then put the new one in it's place. Or just use rm /path/to/file (or rm -R if it's a directory).

PookyMacMan..Found a very simple way to do it. There is a magnifying glass icon at the top of the Finder window. There are actually two - one with a red line through it. Clicking the one without the red line enables all the hidden files and clicking the one with the red line through disables all of them. I just clicked the magnifying glass , trashed the file, replaced it and hid the whole thing again. Voila!

dawilliams660

dawilliams660

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I went to shut off the laptop and the screen went off but the power stays on it doesnt shut off, I changed the AppleIntelcpupowermanagement.kext to and my looping stopped but the power will not shut off.

3.0 USB - is there any answers to getting this to work.....been trying no luck

level70steve

level70steve

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
A little short problem with ModUSB. I know this utility is supposed to align with the SL retail image I placed on USB and it does install. However, my system never finds anything bootable in my USB stick and ModUSB never loads. What should be my next move? Another DVD-R/DL to burn SL to?! Though I should be able to easily change a few files to open my USB controller as a result of booting SL installer from USB, I have to change files in the SL image first-hand before burning the same thing to DVD.

jmi58

jmi58

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

The only way I can get it to boot is to have the ModCD in and boot using mach_kernel pmVersions=0 npci=0x2000

where do I find the 10.6.8 SleepEnabler

If I upgrade to Lion what steps would I need to follow?

Thanks for all your help so far

Akkhia

Akkhia

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks man !
Not everything work as I wanted but with some works and some intensive search, I'll figure it out ;)

I'm now enjoying OsX Lion ;)

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

PookyMacMan..Found a very simple way to do it. There is a magnifying glass icon at the top of the Finder window. There are actually two - one with a red line through it. Clicking the one without the red line enables all the hidden files and clicking the one with the red line through disables all of them. I just clicked the magnifying glass , trashed the file, replaced it and hid the whole thing again. Voila!

I am done with the ASus and the HP. I am trying to get the Toshiba up and running. It is crazy. It boots every once in a while to the main Mac screen but usually it gets stuck. I have tried every conceivable bootflag. It goes upto recognizing the boot disk and says
BSD root: disk 0s1...Then it looks at the ethernet card RTL 8139 and says register EEPROM--flow control is disabled and usually hangs right there. Once in a while it goes to Running fsck on the boot volume and then hangs. But usually it hangs after looking at the Ethernet RTL 8139 card. I think this is the main hangup. Any suggestions?
Srini

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Srini, that thing with the magnifying glass...that's not normal for Snow Leopard. It must have been something about the iPortable distro...probably the defaults write command is better but I am glad the other worked. :)

As for the Toshiba, can you post a pic/video of what happens?

dawilliams, look up Evoreboot for the shutdown issue. As for USB 3.0, there are modified drivers available quite prolifically. Just to get you started, here's my pkg: http://www.mediafire...0xln8knls9swdj9

level70steve, how did you install the ModUSB? Linux or OS X? Be aware that you cannot simply drag everything on; you must activate the partition, set the boot file bootable, etc. if you are not installing the ModUSB from OS X.

jmi, if you look on nawcom's blog you can find the 10.6.8 SleepEnabler. You're not booting from the HDD yet?

As for Lion, first you will need to download the app and make a DVD out of it (you'll find guides here on InsanelyMac). Then, you can try the Magic ModCD I posted in the first post. :) If it is too much trouble (i.e. there are bugs) then I'll direct you to another method.

Akkhia, glad to hear that. ;)

dawilliams660

dawilliams660

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
dawilliams, look up Evoreboot for the shutdown issue. - Evoreboot did not work I think it might be my dsdt

As for USB 3.0, there are modified drivers available quite prolifically. Just to get you started, here's my pkg:

www.mediafire...0xln8knls9swdj9 - installed yours testing now - Did Not Work....will keep on looking

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Srini, that thing with the magnifying glass...that's not normal for Snow Leopard. It must have been something about the iPortable distro...probably the defaults write command is better but I am glad the other worked. :)

As for the Toshiba, can you post a pic/video of what happens?

dawilliams, look up Evoreboot for the shutdown issue. As for USB 3.0, there are modified drivers available quite prolifically. Just to get you started, here's my pkg: http://www.mediafire...0xln8knls9swdj9

level70steve, how did you install the ModUSB? Linux or OS X? Be aware that you cannot simply drag everything on; you must activate the partition, set the boot file bootable, etc. if you are not installing the ModUSB from OS X.

jmi, if you look on nawcom's blog you can find the 10.6.8 SleepEnabler. You're not booting from the HDD yet?

As for Lion, first you will need to download the app and make a DVD out of it (you'll find guides here on InsanelyMac). Then, you can try the Magic ModCD I posted in the first post. :) If it is too much trouble (i.e. there are bugs) then I'll direct you to another method.

Akkhia, glad to hear that. ;)

Attached File  2012-06-04 08.55.55.jpg   1.37MB   10 downloads Here you are. I am not worrying about the Apple PS/2 controller. I think I can always get the voodoo kext. But it hangs immediately after the RTL8139 message. This is a repeating error.

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Attached File  2012-06-04 08.55.55.jpg   1.37MB   10 downloads Here you are. I am not worrying about the Apple PS/2 controller. I think I can always get the voodoo kext. But it hangs immediately after the RTL8139 message. This is a repeating error.

PookyMacMan, I am very bothered that I can't fix this myself. There may be something fundamentally wrong here. An awful thought hit me. This Toshiba laptop has an IDE hard drive. I have no way of changing to AHCI in the BIOS. I can only change boot order. Under the circumstances I am wondering if I am trying to do something impossible. Then I tell myself the machine does boot into MacOSX and I can use the Mac. However this is very much once in a while. It is very intermittent but it does work once in a while. I have gone backwards and forwards in the BIOS and cannot find anything to change. I am really stymied.

level70steve

level70steve

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
On Windows, I used TransMac to re-format my flash drive with SL from a DVD image Then I went to OSX (hackintosh) on my laptop and simply installed ModUSB as it appeared. I didn't drag anything, I just followed the instructions. From there on, my tower never recognized my modded OSX flash drive as bootable. It wasn't as simple as it appeared.

jmi58

jmi58

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

No I can only boot using the ModCD.
I'll look on nawcoms site for the updated Sleep Enabler.

Edit: Update
I installed yhe 10.6.8 Sleep Enabler & at the same time the 10.8.0 Kernel -- now able to boot from HDD!!

Once again Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy