Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (34 votes [85.00%])

Percentage of vote: 85.00%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (6 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (15 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (8 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Who wants Windows? (18 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

level70steve

level70steve

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Here's where I am at so far since my USB ports can't load and hang the system...

Posted Image

level70steve

level70steve

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Crap. By now I thought I would get a prompt response. I guess my next move is to delete most USB-related kexts off my SL installer folder - after I learned that when I get error messages under "AppleUSBOHCI" and "AppleUSBEHCI" (especially with my screenshot above), that shuts off my USB ports and even prevents booting if I ran OSX from a USB drive. This might help, then again, I dunno. Guess I'll have to keep playing...

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D

If I boot while still in AHCI mode using the Mod CD I still get the waiting for Root Device message, and if I switch off AHCI and boot using the Mod CD I don't get the still waiting for Root Device and get to the desktop, but if I boot from the HDD it stops at still waiting for Root Device.

As I thought, it is a AHCI/nVidia driver conflict. You can boot in AHCI w/out the nVidia driver (post-install, of course), or you can boot in IDE (non-AHCI) with the nVidia driver, your choice. :)

PookyMacMan....I have a question for you....I upgraded to 10.7.4 and after that I was getting a smc key error..ok so I replaced the AppleSMC.kext with one from Lion 10.7.3 combo and now I don't get that error but I get a boot loop when it loads chimera but when I do a -v I do not get the boot loops....it boots right into Lion....what do I need to do to fix this?

Are you talking about a constant reboot? Or it stays on the loading apple screen?

Crap. By now I thought I would get a prompt response. I guess my next move is to delete most USB-related kexts off my SL installer folder - after I learned that when I get error messages under "AppleUSBOHCI" and "AppleUSBEHCI" (especially with my screenshot above), that shuts off my USB ports and even prevents booting if I ran OSX from a USB drive. This might help, then again, I dunno. Guess I'll have to keep playing...

Perhaps you should read my status:

Just so you know...I have exams coming up so I won't be online as much.

On the actual issue, if you remove the USB kexts you will guaranteed not be able to use USB devices. I will patch some USB kexts for you and put it in your own ModCD.

Are you booting from DVD/HDD or USB?

dawilliams660

dawilliams660

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
it gets to the apple logo then goes back to the HP logo then loading chimera then gets to the apple screen then it goes back to the HP logo....over and over again

jmi58

jmi58

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

As I thought, it is a AHCI/nVidia driver conflict. You can boot in AHCI w/out the nVidia driver (post-install, of course), or you can boot in IDE (non-AHCI) with the nVidia driver, your choice. :)

Ok but how do I get it to boot without the Mod CD in?

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Hey Srini, long time no see! :D Glad to see you're doing well (and converting to Mac :P).

The boot0 error is problem with the version of Chameleon installed by the ModCD. Try installing this package on your HDD and see if anything changes.

Agreed. I like iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote - Apple's version of Office) even better. :)

Actually, it's a USB driver issue. If the driver is patched it can probably work. Were you able to install anything? Can you install via PS/2? If not, give me your PCI IDs for your USB controller.

You're lucky that worked. Normally distros don't cooperate with the ModCD. I would use a retail disc if I were you.

No, EasyBCD will not fix the problem. If you look above I gave a solution for this error for Srini2000.

I can get you kexts if you give me your PCI IDs.

Do you actually use the modem?? I have no experience with modems at all.

USB or built-in?

This can be tricky depending on the interface. Is it internal USB, PCMCIA, or another interface? Check in the Windows Device Manager if you're unsure.
Hazard is a distro that is hacked and extremely unstable. A retail installation is exactly what is used on real Macs, plus some hackintosh drivers from the ModCD. In sum, Hazard is dangerous and unrecommended, but retail is safer and recommended. :)

PookyMacMan, best of luck for your exams. Have good news. My Asus 1005PEB is now booting by itself and running 10.6.8!
The one thing I have not been able to do is to make the Atheros 9285 work. I thought this would work out of the box. The 8132 ethernet works out of the box but I really don't need a wired interface! I have tried all sorts of things. I ended up adding an external wifi dongle which works, so I am functioning well.The triple boot will be easy now that the MacOSX is booting by itself.
I have the makings of a guide- I have documented everything I have done. When I have it, I'd like to make it available. What is the process to make that happen?
When you have time and can get me the USB info for my Toshiba, I will work on that. That will make 3 Hackintosh machines that I will have done!
Again best of luck and take care
Srini

level70steve

level70steve

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'll be booting from a USB stick since a retail DVD can weigh in at more than 4.7GB

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D

it gets to the apple logo then goes back to the HP logo then loading chimera then gets to the apple screen then it goes back to the HP logo....over and over again

Hm...maybe install a different version of Chameleon?

Ok but how do I get it to boot without the Mod CD in?

Did you install the nVidia driver or not?

The one thing I have not been able to do is to make the Atheros 9285 work. I thought this would work out of the box.

It may not work OOB, but it can work. :) What is the PCI ID for your card?

As far as writing a guide goes, you can post it in the Genius Bar where one of us mods will approve it. :)

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Hm...maybe install a different version of Chameleon?

It may not work OOB, but it can work. :) What is the PCI ID for your card?

As far as writing a guide goes, you can post it in the Genius Bar where one of us mods will approve it. :)

The PCI ID is 168c and 002b. I assume that you have had no time to to look at the Toshiba USBs. I did not realize that there were three controllers - 1 PCI and 2 open HCDs.....

The PCI ID is 168c and 002b. I assume that you have had no time to to look at the Toshiba USBs. I did not realize that there were three controllers - 1 PCI and 2 open HCDs.....

I was not able to look at this under windows since I don't have windows anymore. It could also be a 002E.

jmi58

jmi58

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Not yet.
Is the driver I need on the ModCD or on the SL DVD?

Also ------ Good Luck on your exams!

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,445 posts
Srini, here's what I would do:

Open Terminal and type:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros21.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Once you enter the file, locate IOPCINameMatch, and in the array below delete all the entries but one; you should have something like this:
<key>IOPCINameMatch</key>;
<array>
				<string>pci168c,2a</string>
</array>
Change pci168c,2a (or whatever ID you kept) to pci168c,2b, save it, and update the kext caches by running Kext Utility.

When you reboot, you should have AirPort detected. If not, change pci168c,2b to pci168,2e and save and update the caches. Upon reboot you should have AirPort detected. :) However, you will not be able to turn AirPort on; you will need to put this file in /System/Library/System/Configuration. Once you do that you should be able to turn AirPort on.

jmi, if you have not installed the nVidia driver you should be able to boot with AHCI. If you still can't boot install the nVidia driver (available on the ModCD) and boot in IDE.

Aaaaand...notice that this guide now supports Lion! :D I have created a Lion version of the ModCD.

dawilliams660

dawilliams660

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I found a list of wifi cards that will work on the laptop, Can you tell me which one will work?

Atheros 9485GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and 3012 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter 654825-001
Broadcom 4313 802.11B/G/N 1×1 WiFi Adapter 593836-001
Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and 20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter 657308-001
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 WLAN module 631956-001
Intel Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 WLAN module 633817-001
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 802.11b/g/n 1×2 WLAN module 593530-001 i HAVE THIS ONE
Ralink RT3090BC4 802.11B/G/N 1×1 WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR Combo adapter (BT3.0+HS ready) 630705-001

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,445 posts
These are mini-PCIe? Or USB?

Bottom 4 - won't work. Well, the Ralink might, but that'll be 32-bit only. One of the top 3 cards should work. I would personally pick the Atheros 9485GN or the Broadcom 4313GN. :) Make sure, though, that you are able to return the item in worst case scenario.

dawilliams660

dawilliams660

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Ralink 5390GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi Adapter
Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0LE Combo Adapter
Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi Adapter

TheNavigator

TheNavigator

Nav

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Webdev and Gamedev
So, what about ModUSB?....

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,445 posts
dawilliams, the Atheros AR9285 is a known-supported card, so you'll be safe with that.

Navigator, are you going to use OS X or Linux to create the boot USB?

level70steve

level70steve

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I still can't get my USB controllers to work or even run with the installer!

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Srini, here's what I would do:

Open Terminal and type:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros21.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Once you enter the file, locate IOPCINameMatch, and in the array below delete all the entries but one; you should have something like this:

<key>IOPCINameMatch</key>;
<array>
				<string>pci168c,2a</string>
</array>
Change pci168c,2a (or whatever ID you kept) to pci168c,2b, save it, and update the kext caches by running Kext Utility.

When you reboot, you should have AirPort detected. If not, change pci168c,2b to pci168,2e and save and update the caches. Upon reboot you should have AirPort detected. :) However, you will not be able to turn AirPort on; you will need to put this file in /System/Library/System/Configuration. Once you do that you should be able to turn AirPort on.

jmi, if you have not installed the nVidia driver you should be able to boot with AHCI. If you still can't boot install the nVidia driver (available on the ModCD) and boot in IDE.

Aaaaand...notice that this guide now supports Lion! :D I have created a Lion version of the ModCD.

PookyMacMan, Thanks for the info. In the meantime I found "IPortable snow installer" on this board with specific instructions for the Asus 1005P. I went through the whole process and got my Asus working. This was a 10.6.2 distribution. Even You tube was working! 9285 works through airport! Then I upgraded to 10.6.8 using the combo updater. Had to use an old boot file since I had a lot of trouble with screen resolution. It would always come up as 800x600 rather than 1024x600. Anyway everything works. The only issue is Youtube. I have safari 5.0.5 . I upgraded flash. Now I am using Youtube HTML 5 so I can see youtube videos in Safari but not on Mozilla. I have a feeling this all goes back to the GMA 3150.
Do you know of any solution to getting a GMA 3150 fix? This is unfortunate because every netbook uses the GMA 3150.
Thanks for your help. I am slowly getting to the point where I can help myself mostly with the exception of a few stumbling blocks like this GMA 3150...

Thanks and I'll try not to bug you too much,
Srini

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
<p>

PookyMacMan, Thanks for the info. In the meantime I found &quot;IPortable snow installer&quot; on this board with specific instructions for the Asus 1005P. I went through the whole process and got my Asus working. This was a 10.6.2 distribution. Even You tube was working! 9285 works through airport! Then I upgraded to 10.6.8 using the combo updater. Had to use an old boot file since I had a lot of trouble with screen resolution. It would always come up as 800x600 rather than 1024x600. Anyway everything works. The only issue is Youtube. I have safari 5.0.5 . I upgraded flash. Now I am using Youtube HTML 5 so I can see youtube videos in Safari but not on Mozilla. I have a feeling this all goes back to the GMA 3150. Do you know of any solution to getting a GMA 3150 fix? This is unfortunate because every netbook uses the GMA 3150. Thanks for your help. I am slowly getting to the point where I can help myself mostly with the exception of a few stumbling blocks like this GMA 3150... Thanks and I&#39;ll try not to bug you too much, Srini

</p>
<p> </p>
<p>PookyMacMan,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have made progress in my Hackintosh skills thanks to you. The outstanding issues are</p>
<p> </p>
<ol>
<li>GMA 3150 problem.  I have searched the Internet far and wide and have not really found a solution unless I missed something. This also seems to be a standard Hackintosh frustration since I found a ton of posts on this with no solution.</li>
<li>Toshiba Satellite A75-206 hackintoshing project. This is a kind of unique thing. The issue here is that the machine gets hung up on finding a bootmedia.<br />
<br />
It says that the<br />
Boot volume – UUID AC96D192-0A41-3118-A4DC-2F69C8206643<br />
<br />
Then it proceeds to process<br />
<br />
&lt;dict ID=0&gt;<br />
&lt;key&gt;IO Provider class&lt;/key&gt;<br />
&lt;string&gt; ID=”1”&gt;IO Resources&lt;/string&gt;<br />
&lt;key&gt;IO Resourcematch&lt;/key&gt;<br />
&lt;string&gt; ID=”2”&gt;boot UUID media&lt;/string&gt;<br />
&lt;/dict&gt;<br />
<br />
Then<br />
<br />
USBF : 242.856 (0x5603000) The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device (port # @......)<br />
<br />
I am using a USB drive to set up the machine, the same one I am now using for all machines. It gets this far via the USB key then the UUID is the ID for the specific USB key. The port # is the USB port in which the key is plugged in.<br />
<br />
Fundamentally it is not finding the same USB key that it is reading from!!!!!!<br />
<br />
I am trying to boot from a CD but here also it is hanging.<br />
<br />
I can use the Naucom Mod CD and get to the listing of the CD itself and the Windows hard drive.  I could prepare the hard drive with the Mac software on another machine and try.<br />
<br />
A sane person would probably give up and move on but somehow I can’t let go and want to get this solved.<br />
<br />
What do you think?  <br />
<br />
Srini</li>
</ol>

PookyMacMan,

I have made progress in my Hackintosh skills thanks to you. The outstanding issues are

• GMA 3150 problem. I have searched the Internet far and wide and have not really found a solution unless I missed something. This also seems to be a standard Hackintosh frustration since I found a ton of posts on this with no solution.
  • Toshiba Satellite A75-206 hackintoshing project. This is a kind of unique thing. The issue here is that the machine gets hung up on finding a bootmedia.

It says that the
    Boot volume – UUID AC96D192-0A41-3118-A4DC-2F69C8206643

Then it proceeds to process

&lt;dict ID=0&gt;
    &lt;key&gt;IO Provider class&lt;/key&gt;
    &lt;string&gt; ID=”1”&gt;IO Resources&lt;/string&gt;
    &lt;key&gt;IO Resourcematch&lt;/key&gt;
    &lt;string&gt; ID=”2”&gt;boot UUID media&lt;/string&gt;
    &lt;/dict&gt;

Then

USBF : 242.856 (0x5603000) The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device (port # @......)

I am using a USB drive to set up the machine, the same one I am now using for all machines. It gets this far via the USB key then the UUID is the ID for the specific USB key. The port # is the USB port in which the key is plugged in.

Fundamentally it is not finding the same USB key that it is reading from!!!!!!

I am trying to boot from a CD but here also it is hanging.

I can use the Naucom Mod CD and get to the listing of the CD itself and the Windows hard drive. I could prepare the hard drive with the Mac software on another machine and try.

A sane person would probably give up and move on but somehow I can’t let go and want to get this solved.

What do you think?

Srini

Sorry I wrote the thing in Word and copied and pasted. Formatting codes also seem to have shown up!!!!!
Srini

techgeek

techgeek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Eagerly awaiting the Lion ModCD PookyMacMan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy