Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D

Thanks. Will try. By the way, it is the chameleon boot loader that makes the booting from the hard drive possible, isn't it? Can I check for its presence? Where should it be on the hard disk? At least this way I can make sure that it is there and available before booting. If it is in the MBR then I guess I have no way of checking.

The very fact that it's giving you the boot0 error means it's there, but unable to load because of a partitioning error. If you're interested, it consists of a few things in /usr/standalone/i386/, /usr/local/bin/, and the folder /Extra.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
I'm trying this method now with a Dell Optiplex 780...will post results later...

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

I'm trying this method now with a Dell Optiplex 780...will post results later...

The booting problem, unfortunately, still remains. The only reliable way to boot is still through the installation USB stick. This after a weekend spent doing nothing else!

The display is exactly the same every time

Boot 0: test

Boot 0: error

The number of times Boot 0: test shows up depends upon the number of partitions. It looks like it goes to every partition before giving up.

I tried manually installing chameleon, also. No luck, booting but I am sure that chameleon is there. I also tried the solution that is widely proposed on the internet i.e. ensuring that the partition is active via Terminal. No luck, here either.

An interesting observation. Even when booting through the USB installer, the machine still tries to boot itself! On very close observation of the display, I can see the boot 0 messages dimly before the spinning wheel starts. I haven’t figured this one out since I have set the boot order to be USB CD-ROM, USB hard drive/key and then notebook hard disc.

I continued installing Kubuntu and then Windows. Also use Easy BCD with the entries of Grub 2 for Kubuntu and MBR for Mac OSX. When I try to boot Mac OSX via Easy BCD it says missing chainloader. However, Windows and Kubuntu work through Easy BCD. I have been toying with the idea of also installing DOS on a separate partition but have decided that discretion is the better part of valor! Better solve the MacOSX first!

This is really unfortunate. I have the Mac OS X working beautifully and have upgraded upto 10.6.8. I have to use an external USB Wireless (Zonet) and have not focused on sleep. The machine does try to sleep because I lose control of the mouse and it has to be brought back by wiggling the power switch. The display does not go dark. This is a minor problem though compared to the booting.

The HP Mini 110 I am using has been hackintoshed. I did check for the latest BIOS – F.23 which I do have. I was wondering if it could have anything to do with the SATA vs. AHCI. However, I am able to change very little in the BIOS.

At this point, I can use the triple boot Hackintosh with the requirement of a Boot USB! I am off on another trip and will tackle it again after my return. I discovered another triple boot technique.

http://osx86sv.wordpress.com/

Might try this out on another netbook I have when I come back, unless I have been able to figure out this boot problem.

Thanks a ton for your help. I wouldn’t have gotten this far without it. I am keeping good notes so I will be able to write a good guide at the end of all this.

m_s

m_s

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
ok, after trying iatkos i'm gonna try this solution.. i have just ONE VERY IMPORTANT question:

I have windows ALREADY installed on my pc, and it's basically the ONLY way i have for connecting to the web (and asking for help). so, if i try with this i ABSOLUTELY need to have a bootcamp (like iatkos self installed chameleon, that works perfectly on my system).

how should i do?
really thanks a lot

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
You are saying you must have a Windows dual-boot without ruining Windows?

If you follow this method verbatim, Chameleon will be installed automatically.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let me know. :)

m_s

m_s

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
at the moment i have 4 partition on my HD:
  • winZOZ (connected to the web)
  • winZOZ (not connected to the web)
  • osx (doesn't run anymore)
  • data
my iatkos doesn't run anymore, so i want to try if my retail works. but i need to have something like cameleon for using the other O.S (already installed and perfectly working).

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Hm...............you know, let me look it up. My dual-boot breaks Windows, so I'll find a different one.

Found one. It's a slightly different version of mine. Here's a link to the post: http://www.sevenforu....html#post26210

elite-fusion

elite-fusion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hello I have a Dell Latitude E6420, will this work on it?

m_s

m_s

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Hm...............you know, let me look it up. My dual-boot breaks Windows, so I'll find a different one.

Found one. It's a slightly different version of mine. Here's a link to the post: http://www.sevenforu....html#post26210

fixed! really thanks man!

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
elite-fusion, what are your specs? In order to determine specific compatibility, I would need to know your processor and amount of RAM. Also, posting your chipset would be helpful, although it is not necessary.

m_s, you're welcome. :) Feel free to PM me if you have any further issues.

elite-fusion

elite-fusion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hello :)

I have tried just now again and still no luck. I get to where it says Press any key to continue, so I do, and it goes into the kernel to boot the installation, but then I get the nanoseconds message and that's pretty much it, nothing else from there. (please see attached picture for exact message)

I have a stock Dell Latitude E6420 with 16GB RAM, 300 GB Hard Drive with 3 partitions, Windows 7, System Reserved, and a Blank one that I made in order to dual boot. As for processor, according to the sticker on the computer, I have an Intel i7 vPro.

I also tried it on an HP DV7 with an Intel i7, Radeo video card, 4GB RAM and 1TB Hard Drive which has Windows 7, System Reserved, and also a Blank one that I made in order to dual boot. But when I try it on the HP, it says Press any key to continue, so I do, and the computer restarts instead of going into the kernel mode to do the installation.

Attached Files

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Interesting....wait, you have 10.6.0, don't you?

i7's cannot boot Apple's kernel until 10.6.6 (I believe), so you will need to boot with the legacy_kernel (which means just press enter - do not type mach_kernel). Try that and see where you get.

I'll update my post with the info.

elite-fusion

elite-fusion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Yep already tried that as well, I am not sure which version it is exactly, honestly, i downloaded it, but its supposedly Retail DVD of Snow Leopard. I tired with mech_kernel and just enter and same thing, nanoseconds, maybe different amount of nanoseconds, but still nanoseconds message lol.

elite-fusion

elite-fusion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hey, I was able to finally get to the installation of it all, and then once it completed installing, it starts to boot up Mac OS X but then i get another nanoseconds error but on the Mac OS X screen with the apple in the center.

Attached Files

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Your error is with your computer's clock, I believe. That can be as simple as an additional kext. In the installer, did you choose the ElliotForceLegacyRTC option?

Tj Pfleger

Tj Pfleger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all. Have been reading the different install instructions the last few days, and i am rather stumped now. I am installing on a Dell D610 with the Intel Pentium M 1.73 (2.13 with Centrino unlocked) Ghz Processor, Intel 915 GM Graphics, and Sigmatel 9751. When i use the above method, the text scrolls, and then stops, but never starts scrolling again. I have attached pics of where the scrolling ends. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks.

TJ

I am using the Image OSX_10.6.7 btw.

Attached Files

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Your issue is that you have a 10.6.8 disc. In order to use 10.6.8, you need a different kernel. I have a link which I will post in a little (for some reason I can't access MediaFire right now). When I post it, I will give you instructions on how to use it.

Tj Pfleger

Tj Pfleger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Cool, thank you. I am waiting patiently.

Derrick Berg

Derrick Berg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I would like to install snow leopard and then update to 10.7 lion. I have a i5 2400, 8gb ram(2x4gb) , cosair tx750 , saphire radeon 6950 dirt 3 2gb , ga-z68p-ds3 motherboard.

Is it possible to install with this hardware and use the graphics card? Thank you!

Zephyrart

Zephyrart

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All I needed was the dual boot. You, sir, are a genius!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy