Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Unfortunately, EasyBCD won't work. :( EasyBCD simply points to the Chameleon bootloader. You can download MultiBeast and try just installing the bootloader.

wongSlam

wongSlam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Great guide! But could you use a osx86 disk instead of the retail version instead or does it only work for the retail one? I also have the mac restore cd if the osx86 doesn't work.

I've been getting kernel panics after installing with the osx86 discs on an Intel Core 2 Quad

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D

Great guide! But could you use a osx86 disk instead of the retail version instead or does it only work for the retail one? I also have the mac restore cd if the osx86 doesn't work.

I've been getting kernel panics after installing with the osx86 discs on an Intel Core 2 Quad

I'm not quite sure what you mean by an OSx86 disc (distro?), but as long as it is Snow Leopard, it should (theoretically) work. If you want to use the system restore disc you have, PM me and I'll walk you through the patching process.

Hey, if anybody didn't get their Broadcom or Atheros wireless patched or your High Definition Audio codec patched, here are the packages.

Attached File  VoodooHDA.pkg.zip   222.8KB   42 downloads
Attached File  Broadcom_Atheros_Wireless.pkg.zip   13.09KB   33 downloads

MacRib

MacRib

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
My configuration is as follows:
Motherboard: Asus P5G41TD-M PRO
Ram: 8GB Dual Channel Kingston DDR3 1333
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500
DVDRW: Liteon IHAS624-32
HD: Seagate ST2000DL003 2 TB
Video: Sapphire ATI HD4850

I tried your method and it worked only partly fopr my config:

1.) I have a SSD with a Win7 Partition and a addtitional 2 TB Seagate drive.
2.) I booted from the ModCD
3.) Created two partitions with MBR on the 2TB drive, one with FAT, one with MAC system
4.) Booted again to Win7, formatted the Win7partition as NTFS
5.) Installed easybcd on my SSD drive under win 7
6.) Followed your instructions to setup easybcd (only I changed the drive letter for the Mac OS entry in easybcd)
7.) Rebooted with Mod CD, installed SL 10.6.4 retail
8.) Then I tried to reboot, but it did not work
9.) Rebooted again with ModCD
10.) Followed the tonymacx instructions and updated to 10.6.8
11.) Then installed #####…Drivers for ATI4800 gave always error.
12.) Installed also the fake smc etc.
13.) Rebooted…-> easybcd could not boot into Mac
14.) Configured easybcd for MacOSX entry with EFI instead of MBR.
15.) Rebooted…-> Chamaeleon Loader started, when chosing MacOSx, then boot process was stopped

During install process, all except my graphics card worked well.

Is there something I’m doing completely wrong? I’m not sure if I should give it try again, it’s a bit annoying at the moment.

P.S.: ##### CD does not work in my case… the installer of my retail SL 10.6.4 falls into coma (gray screen with mouse cursor)

Thanks for any hint in advance,
Best regards
macrib

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
It seems that your problem is Mac OS related.

Did you notice the CUSTOM OPTIONS selection in the Mac OS X installer? If if it wasn't there, that could be your boot problem.

I wouldn't update to 10.6.8 just yet if I were you. I could never boot into 10.6.8 with working graphics; only 10.6.7.

The ModCD automatically patches the OS disc for you to install the bootloader (including fakesmc and other kexts to get hardware working). When you install OS X, have only the 2 TB drive in the system and install. If it reboots properly, then you know you can insert you Windows drive. If not, I posted a disk image compilation with all of nawcom's drivers and the bootloader earlier in this thread (p.1).

Hope this helps. ;)

MacRib

MacRib

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@PookyMacMan: Thanks for your help, i will give it a try in the next days.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

It seems that your problem is Mac OS related.

Did you notice the CUSTOM OPTIONS selection in the Mac OS X installer? If if it wasn't there, that could be your boot problem.

I wouldn't update to 10.6.8 just yet if I were you. I could never boot into 10.6.8 with working graphics; only 10.6.7.

The ModCD automatically patches the OS disc for you to install the bootloader (including fakesmc and other kexts to get hardware working). When you install OS X, have only the 2 TB drive in the system and install. If it reboots properly, then you know you can insert you Windows drive. If not, I posted a disk image compilation with all of nawcom's drivers and the bootloader earlier in this thread (p.1).

Hope this helps. ;)

is it x1300 with 7187 dev id ?

i just installed g31m-es2l rev1.1 with evoenabler changed to Caretta then updated to 10.6.8

the issue with 10.6.8 is the _UID of Device (PCI0) is missing or not Zero and the smbios.plist needs ALL the main info.

one more tip.. i could never boot easybcd diretly to chameleon. i used the linux entry i added in easybcd with Grub2.
then in Linux menu i added custom entry for mac with insmod hfsplus and set root and chainloader+1

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts

is it x1300 with 7187 dev id ?

i just installed g31m-es2l rev1.1 with evoenabler changed to Caretta then updated to 10.6.8

the issue with 10.6.8 is the _UID of Device (PCI0) is missing or not Zero and the smbios.plist needs ALL the main info.

one more tip.. i could never boot easybcd diretly to chameleon. i used the linux entry i added in easybcd with Grub2.
then in Linux menu i added custom entry for mac with insmod hfsplus and set root and chainloader+1

It might be 7187, but I believe it is 7146. That computer (the ECS mobo) with the X1300 is now my emergency computer in case my main one (the Dell Dimension) breaks, so I don't remember offhand...the issue occured both with the X1300 and my Quadro FX 1700.

The X1300 was detected automatically by Apple's controller, so I didn't need an enabler for QE/CI. For my Quadro, I enabled QE/CI by generating an EFI string with OSx86 Tools and inserted it into my com.apple.boot.plist.

After updating to 10.6.8 with the X1300, it would boot to the blue screen just before the login window, but the mouse cursor would not appear nor would the login window. With the Quadro, instead of a blue screen, it would boot to a garbled screen!

As for EasyBCD, I was able to do a quad-boot very easily with Mac OS X, Windows 7, Windows XP, and Ubuntu. For Mac OS, the key was to make sure that the entry was MBR, regardless of whether or not my hard drive was MBR or GPT. Whenever I selected EFI, it wouldn't boot right. Also, I did this with Windows 7 and Mac OS on the same hard drive, so I didn't have to tweak it to boot off of another drive. I don't know a thing about Linux commands, so I couldn't have done the GRUB thing. I only use Ubuntu for Gimp... :blink:

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

It might be 7187, but I believe it is 7146. That computer (the ECS mobo) with the X1300 is now my emergency computer in case my main one (the Dell Dimension) breaks, so I don't remember offhand...the issue occured both with the X1300 and my Quadro FX 1700.

The X1300 was detected automatically by Apple's controller, so I didn't need an enabler for QE/CI. For my Quadro, I enabled QE/CI by generating an EFI string with OSx86 Tools and inserted it into my com.apple.boot.plist.

After updating to 10.6.8 with the X1300, it would boot to the blue screen just before the login window, but the mouse cursor would not appear nor would the login window. With the Quadro, instead of a blue screen, it would boot to a garbled screen!

As for EasyBCD, I was able to do a quad-boot very easily with Mac OS X, Windows 7, Windows XP, and Ubuntu. For Mac OS, the key was to make sure that the entry was MBR, regardless of whether or not my hard drive was MBR or GPT. Whenever I selected EFI, it wouldn't boot right. Also, I did this with Windows 7 and Mac OS on the same hard drive, so I didn't have to tweak it to boot off of another drive. I don't know a thing about Linux commands, so I couldn't have done the GRUB thing. I only use Ubuntu for Gimp... :)

the video issue is likely the model used in smbios.plist or the data for it (product id)

or the dsdt needs Device (PCI0) _UID, 0x00 not 0x01

Edit: gimp ? it has a windows version too!

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts

the video issue is likely the model used in smbios.plist or the data for it (product id)

or the dsdt needs Device (PCI0) _UID, 0x00 not 0x01

Where do I find the smbios.plist file?

Also, I do not have a patched DSDT.

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Unfortunately, EasyBCD won't work. :o EasyBCD simply points to the Chameleon bootloader. You can download ##### and try just installing the bootloader.

I was on a long business trip so could not work further on the installation. I am still trying to get it to boot and will try #####. However, before that I have another question. I need to modify the snow leopard DVD so I can install it on an MBR partition. I do want to have a triple boot installation (Mac, Windows, Linux). How do I do this? Any simple ideas?
Thanks for your help
Srini

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts

I was on a long business trip so could not work further on the installation. I am still trying to get it to boot and will try Multibeast. However, before that I have another question. I need to modify the snow leopard DVD so I can install it on an MBR partition. I do want to have a triple boot installation (Mac, Windows, Linux). How do I do this? Any simple ideas?
Thanks for your help
Srini

Are you wanting to do this triple boot on more than one drive? I personally have a quad-boot, with OS X and Windows 7 on one drive, and Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows XP on the other...

The ModCD should automatically patch the installer for MBR, but you are using a USB drive, right?

nawcom also has a solution for USB drive users (called ModUSB), but the only reason why I didn't recommend it to you before was because, unless you have access to a Mac, you must be comfortable with executing Linux commands (which I'm not), but if you want Linux, I'm assuming you are comfortable with command line?

Also, nawcom's blog is currently down, so I don't think you can get the Linux ModUSB. However, if you happen to have access to a Mac, I can get you the Mac OS version.

The main thing is to install Windows last, as the Windows Boot Manager is the easiest to configure for triple boot (It can be done with Chameleon/GRUB, but I've never tried it as it seems a little cryptic). So, if I were you, I would install in this order: Snow Leopard first (we'll have to get it to boot, too :(), then Linux, and Windows last.

Follow the partitioning instructions I gave before, but of course choose MBR instead of GPT. When you install Linux, simply resize the Mac OS partition to create the ext4 partition for Linux. After the Linux installation, you can install Windows on its respective partition as I described in my original post.

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Unfortunately, EasyBCD won't work. :D EasyBCD simply points to the Chameleon bootloader. You can download ##### and try just installing the bootloader.

Have been on an international business trip so project was on hold. I am back. I am still fighting the problem of booting off the hard disc. I continue to need the Nawcom CD! However i have windows 7 and Ubuntu also installed!. I can fire up all the three systems. The grub loader helps choose between Windows and Ubuntu.

Everything works except for booting the Mac OSX off the hard disc......I have also been able to upgrade to 10.6.7 in the meantime. Have tried #####...does not help. Tried Easy BCD after loading Windows but Mac says can't find Mach_kernel.

any other ideas? How do we get what the Nawcom CD is doing on the hard disc?

Srini

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Are you wanting to do this triple boot on more than one drive? I personally have a quad-boot, with OS X and Windows 7 on one drive, and Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows XP on the other...

The ModCD should automatically patch the installer for MBR, but you are using a USB drive, right?

nawcom also has a solution for USB drive users (called ModUSB), but the only reason why I didn't recommend it to you before was because, unless you have access to a Mac, you must be comfortable with executing Linux commands (which I'm not), but if you want Linux, I'm assuming you are comfortable with command line?

Also, nawcom's blog is currently down, so I don't think you can get the Linux ModUSB. However, if you happen to have access to a Mac, I can get you the Mac OS version.

The main thing is to install Windows last, as the Windows Boot Manager is the easiest to configure for triple boot (It can be done with Chameleon/GRUB, but I've never tried it as it seems a little cryptic). So, if I were you, I would install in this order: Snow Leopard first (we'll have to get it to boot, too :)), then Linux, and Windows last.

Follow the partitioning instructions I gave before, but of course choose MBR instead of GPT. When you install Linux, simply resize the Mac OS partition to create the ext4 partition for Linux. After the Linux installation, you can install Windows on its respective partition as I described in my original post.

All three OS are on one drive. I got round the MBR problem by doing the install on GUID, then copying the install on another hard drive, repartitioning as MBR and then copying the installation back to the OSX partition. I then loaded Windows and then Linux.

The Grub boot loader takes care of the windows and the Linux booting. I did install Easy BCD and specified Mac OSX in Easy BCD. However, when I choose the Mac in Easy BCD it comes up to showing the Mac and Windows boot icons but stops when I click the Mac Icon. When I click the Windows Icon it continues to Windows via GRub.

The only way I can run the Mac OSX is to use either the Nawcom legacy CD or ##### legacy CD. By the way it uses the CD initially but also seems to access the CD a couple of times while booting. I can see the CD light blinking! Don't know what it is accessing. I have sound & wireless running on 10.6.7. Haven't tackled sleep yet.

Thanks for your help....

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts

All three OS are on one drive. I got round the MBR problem by doing the install on GUID, then copying the install on another hard drive, repartitioning as MBR and then copying the installation back to the OSX partition. I then loaded Windows and then Linux.

The Grub boot loader takes care of the windows and the Linux booting. I did install Easy BCD and specified Mac OSX in Easy BCD. However, when I choose the Mac in Easy BCD it comes up to showing the Mac and Windows boot icons but stops when I click the Mac Icon. When I click the Windows Icon it continues to Windows via GRub.

The only way I can run the Mac OSX is to use either the Nawcom legacy CD or iboot legacy CD. By the way it uses the CD initially but also seems to access the CD a couple of times while booting. I can see the CD light blinking! Don't know what it is accessing. I have sound & wireless running on 10.6.7. Haven't tackled sleep yet.

Thanks for your help....

Your problem is the installation order. You must be able to boot from the OS X partition before installing the other OSes. Do this:

Boot to OS X and insert your OS X installation drive. Download this ModUSB package and install it onto your OS X installation drive. This will enable you to boot to your flash drive directly, and will install OS X to MBR (without any tricks) and also install a bootloader among other drivers.

Reboot your computer and boot to the flash drive. After coming to a menu similar to the ModCD, boot the installation drive the way you usually do. Repartition the drive in Disk Utility as MBR (I know it is MBR already, but it would be good to redo it.) Now, just before pressing Install, hit Customize. Locate CUSTOM OPTIONS (I'm not yelling–that's the name of the menu :)) and check if the Legacy Kernel is selected. If it is, scroll down to the bottom and choose SleepEnabler. If it isn't selected, don't bother with the sleep enabler. You may want to check ElliotForceLegacyRTC to prevent BIOS reset, although not all PCs have that problem.

If you can boot from your drive, I would recommend you install Linux first before you install Windows; otherwise you will have to choose to boot from Windows to boot from OS X in GRUB. So, once you install OS X, install Ubuntu. Once you've installed Ubuntu, install Windows. In EasyBCD, add an entry for Mac and make sure it is MBR and not EFI. Also add an entry for Linux and choose GRUB 2.

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Your problem is the installation order. You must be able to boot from the OS X partition before installing the other OSes. Do this:

Boot to OS X and insert your OS X installation drive. Download the ModUSB package below and install it onto your OS X installation drive. This will enable you to boot to your flash drive directly, and will install OS X to MBR (without any tricks) and also install a bootloader among other drivers.

Reboot your computer and boot to the flash drive. After coming to a menu similar to the ModCD, boot the installation drive the way you usually do. Repartition the drive in Disk Utility as MBR (I know it is MBR already, but it would be good to redo it.) Now, just before pressing Install, hit Customize. Locate CUSTOM OPTIONS (I'm not yelling–that's the name of the menu :) ) and check if the Legacy Kernel is selected. If it is, scroll down to the bottom and choose SleepEnabler. If it isn't selected, don't bother with the sleep enabler. You may want to check ElliotForceLegacyRTC to prevent BIOS reset, although not all PCs have that problem.

If you can boot from your drive, I would recommend you install Linux first before you install Windows; otherwise you will have to choose to boot from Windows to boot from OS X in GRUB. So, once you install OS X, install Ubuntu. Once you've installed Ubuntu, install Windows. In EasyBCD, add an entry for Mac and make sure it is MBR and not EFI. Also add an entry for Linux and choose GRUB 2.

Thanks a bunch. Will try immediately and let you know the results. I am getting expert at loading all this having done it and redone it so many times!

Srini

Boot to OS X and insert your OS X installation drive. Download the ModUSB package below and install it onto your OS X installation drive. This will enable you to boot to your flash drive directly, and will install OS X to MBR (without any tricks) and also install a bootloader among other drivers.

Reboot your computer and boot to the flash drive. After coming to a menu similar to the ModCD, boot the installation drive the way you usually do. Repartition the drive in Disk Utility as MBR (I know it is MBR already, but it would be good to redo it.) Now, just before pressing Install, hit Customize. Locate CUSTOM OPTIONS (I'm not yelling–that's the name of the menu :P ) and check if the Legacy Kernel is selected. If it is, scroll down to the bottom and choose SleepEnabler. If it isn't selected, don't bother with the sleep enabler. You may want to check ElliotForceLegacyRTC to prevent BIOS reset, although not all PCs have that problem.

Were you going to send me the modUSB package? You referred to it as being below but I didn't see it.
Srini

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts

Thanks a bunch. Will try immediately and let you know the results. I am getting expert at loading all this having done it and redone it so many times!

Srini

Were you going to send me the modUSB package? You referred to it as being below but I didn't see it.
Srini

:) I forgot! :P

Here you go: ModUSB

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

:) I forgot! :)

Here you go: ModUSB

Unfortunately still no booting from the hard drive.

I am able to install SL from the USB installer into an MBR partition and the installation proceeds smoothly. At the end of the installation, I am removing the USB installer and trying to boot from the hard drive. The display always shows

Boot 0 :test
Boot 0: error

Am I missing anything here?

Srini

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts

Unfortunately still no booting from the hard drive.

I am able to install SL from the USB installer into an MBR partition and the installation proceeds smoothly. At the end of the installation, I am removing the USB installer and trying to boot from the hard drive. The display always shows

Boot 0 :test
Boot 0: error

Am I missing anything here?

Srini

That sounds like a partitioning error; I always get that when my partition scheme's failed. When you partition it in Disk Utility, first do one partition in GPT, then (before quitting) change it to two partitions in MBR. That will efficiently rewrite your partition scheme.

Srini2000

Srini2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

That sounds like a partitioning error; I always get that when my partition scheme's failed. When you partition it in Disk Utility, first do one partition in GPT, then (before quitting) change it to two partitions in MBR. That will efficiently rewrite your partition scheme.

Thanks. Will try. By the way, it is the chameleon boot loader that makes the booting from the hard drive possible, isn't it? Can I check for its presence? Where should it be on the hard disk? At least this way I can make sure that it is there and available before booting. If it is in the MBR then I guess I have no way of checking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy