Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
776 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Your problem may be with QE/CI, which is 3D acceleration. For your first boot, type GraphicsEnabler=No. You won't have any intro video, but you should be able to get through setup okay. After that, see if you can boot with GraphicsEnaber=Yes (which is most likely the default anyway.)

10.6.8 is a strange bird and a vicious beast. I myself have not figured it out yet. Download the 10.6.7 Combo Update and it should be okay.

If you use the legacy kernel (anybody who doesn't have an Intel Core or Xeon CPU), you will also need to update that as well; otherwise you'll lose USB functionality.

Jaede

Jaede

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Your problem may be with QE/CI, which is 3D acceleration. For your first boot, type GraphicsEnabler=No. You won't have any intro video, but you should be able to get through setup okay. After that, see if you can boot with GraphicsEnaber=Yes (which is most likely the default anyway.)

10.6.8 is a strange bird and a vicious beast. I myself have not figured it out yet. Download the 10.6.7 Combo Update and it should be okay.

If you use the legacy kernel (anybody who doesn't have an Intel Core or Xeon CPU), you will also need to update that as well; otherwise you'll lose USB functionality.

Thank you for your help. I will try booting with the GraphicsEnabler=No tonight.

Manolis Yousmallvan

Manolis Yousmallvan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I guess i could call a friend who has a mac.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
That would probably be a good idea. :)

oreosx12345

oreosx12345

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey,

So I've been following your guide, and when I try to install Snow Leopard, this comes up:

Attached File  IMG_20120117_193118.jpg   1.37MB   9 downloads

Is it because of my old hardware? I have a 1.73 GHz Pentium M, 1GB of memory, and an Intel GMA 900, and I've ran Leopard before.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Your hardware looks okay. Is it possible to take a video?

Usually those kernel ip errors are intermittent. Try it a few more times; if it is still persistent, let me know. It may have something to do with your GMA chip...

Also, you can try this: when you boot to the ModCD, swap with your DVD and type:

rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin_kernel

and then press Enter. See if that makes a difference. :)

oreosx12345

oreosx12345

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've already tried a lot of times, and every time there's been a kernel ip error.
Here's the video:

When I try rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin_kernel, this is what I get:

Attached File  IMG_20120117_193315.jpg   1.12MB   4 downloads

I also get the same thing if I use mach_kernel.
If it helps, I've installed Leopard 10.5.8 before.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Can you take a better picture of what happens with the modbin kernel? It looks very promising, but I can't see enough of the panic.

If you try the legacy kernel again (the default when you just press enter), try typing -x. There may be a kext conflict that can be resolved by booting into safe mode.

oreosx12345

oreosx12345

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Here's a bigger picture for the modbin kernel (sorry about the blurriness, was a snapshot from another video I took just now):

Attached File  DSCN3112.AVI_snapshot_01.23_2012.01.17_21.18.52.jpg   86.31KB   16 downloads

With the legacy kernel and safe mode, still does the same kernel ip error. I noticed that the Darwin kernel version on top said 10.4.0. Does that cause any conflicts? I'm using a 10.6.0 Retail ISO.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
That shouldn't be an issue...but...

I'll upload an older version of the ModCD. I don't know if it will make a difference, but it's worth a shot. I used that version with a 10.6.0 disc.

Paccostinker

Paccostinker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I downloaded your BootCD/DVD also..

Did not work.

I did not make a Picture of the Error with your Boot CD/DVD.

But it was also saying an ACPI Error wich I get witch #####-Lagacy.

Here are 2 Kernel panic Error-Pictures and some background-information.
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=274586

When I understood it right, I have to make an dsdt Update or Load an special kernel when I am at the Bootloader.
Is this right?
This is my Hardware:
MSI Z68ma-ed55
Intel i7-2600k
4 GB G.Skill ram (usually 16GB but for install 4GB)
HDD with 400 & 40 GB Space
nVidia/MSI GTX 560 ti twin frozr OC

I read a lot in this Topic and youre doing a very well job!
Looks like you know what youre doing.
I hope that you can help me, because no one else is doing it.
Please

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Happy to help. :wink2:

Are you actually using a 10.6.0 DVD? That's most likely your issue right there. Apple's kernel (i.e. typing mach_kernel) does not support i7 CPUs until 10.6.2.

Before booting with the ModCD, try this command:

If that doesn't work, try:

rd(0,0)/Extra/legacy_kernel

rd(0,0)/Extra/mach_kernel

If that doesn't work...well, that means we'll have to hunt down a kernel for you. If you don't mind, I'm gonna go off on a rant... :whistle:

Those ACPI issues you (and others) have, have you noticed just before it: "Unable to find a driver for this platform: blahdeblahdeblah"? That means either in the kernel (i.e. Apple's kernel in the original SL DVD) or in the DVD itself (i.e. trying to boot a 10.5 DVD with a 10.6 kernel) your particular processor is not supported. We just have to hunt down a kernel that can boot your i7 if none of the above work. :boxing:

Paccostinker

Paccostinker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
nice, ill try this all!

But now I have to carry some wood for the fireplace and clean my bathroom :(

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Go ahead and get that done. I'll be hanging around here for a while most likely. ;)

Paccostinker

Paccostinker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Are you actually using a 10.6.0 DVD? That's most likely your issue right there.

Yes, I got an 10.6.0 Retail DVD

Apple's kernel (i.e. typing mach_kernel) does not support i7 CPUs until 10.6.2.

I will try to borrow or find a 10.6.X DVD. I know some people who could have these DVD.
Would it work with an 10.6.x DVD?
Because when I dont put the Snow leopard CD into the drive and press enter/return I also get Boot Errors like the Following pictures.
Means I got the Nawcom-ModDVD still inside my DVD-Drive.

Before booting with the ModCD, try this command:

I did this following:
I put the ModCD inside my drive.
I booted from the ModCD.
Then I put Snow Leopard inside the drive
Typed the Commands you told me
Then I pressed return/enter to boot from the snow Leopard DVD with the commands.

Here are the Results:

Posted Image

After "press any Key"
Posted Image

rd(0,0)/Extra/legacy_kernel

Posted Image

After "press any Key"

Posted Image

rd(0,0)/Extra/mach_kernel

Posted Image
After "press any Key"
Posted Image

These are the Error-screens.

If that doesn't work...well, that means we'll have to hunt down a kernel for you. If you don't mind, I'm gonna go off on a rant... :whistle:

Those ACPI issues you (and others) have, have you noticed just before it: "Unable to find a driver for this platform: blahdeblahdeblah"? That means either in the kernel (i.e. Apple's kernel in the original SL DVD) or in the DVD itself (i.e. trying to boot a 10.5 DVD with a 10.6 kernel) your particular processor is not supported. We just have to hunt down a kernel that can boot your i7 if none of the above work. :boxing:

Im very sorry but I did not realy understand what you have written.

Did you tell me, that we have to look up for a kernel who supports my i7-2600k?
could you explain this in other easy words to me? For example what did you mean with "or in the DVD itself" wich dvd do you mean?

What I can do is to look for an 10.6.X DVD. Will this help?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
A different DVD might help. It looks to me like either the ModCD or your DVD is corrupted. Reburn the ModCD at the slowest speed and try it again. If the same things happen, I think your DVD is corrupted.

What I mean was that your error was saying one of two things: either the kernel does not support your i7 (so the kernel's basically like, "Woah! What kind of CPU is this?!?", and so it panics), or the DVD version is too old (in that case, the kernel is thinking "Huh? I thought this was Snow Leopard, not Leopard. What am I supposed to do with this???" so it panics). The latter error is not your particular issue; I believe what I stated above is.

Paccostinker

Paccostinker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I will look for a new Snow Leopard DVD.

When I have it, ill contact you later.

Thx for your help so far!

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
All, right, I'll be waiting. You're welcome. :)

Try to avoid a 10.6.8 DVD if you can; 10.6.8 is a real pain in the rear...

aleff

aleff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
PookyMacMan, you might be ideally suited to help me. Decidedd to install SL on a six year old laptop Acer Travelmate 2420 with Intel celeron M, ig ram, 40g HD, Intel gma 900 video, Realtek rtl 8139 ethernet, Atheros ar 5005g wifi etc. KP on running ModCD with pictures attached. Would be grateful for any help and suggestions. I think you did an similar old system as well. I have some hackintosh experience with a netbook but it was with an SL distro and I didn't have to do much to dual boot 10.6.2 and XP and is still doing ok.

Attached Files

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
I have done similar older systems; one Pentium 4 and one Pentium D. :)

What version of Snow Leopard do you have? For some reason your processor is not properly supported; there should be fixes though. Try the commands I mentioned in post #168. There should be some valuable information, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy