Install Snow Leopard on ANY PC for ANYBODY! Includes Windows dual-boot.

• Please log in to reply
776 replies to this topic

Poll: How does this guide work for you? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it clear to understand?

1. Yes, it was very clear. (36 votes [83.72%])

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. No, there is jargon I don't understand... (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Were you able to successfully install Mac OS?

1. Yes! The installation worked great! I just have to get hardware working/everything works out of the box! (17 votes [39.53%])

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

2. Almost, I had to fix some things first... (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

3. No, nothing worked at all. (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Did the dual-boot solution work for you?

1. Yes! Windows and Mac OS are now dual-booted. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. No, I had some errors along the way (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

3. Who wants Windows? (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
DSDT is an ACPI code table that's part of your motherboard BIOS, it is not OS dependant.
If it's patched correctly your extracted DSDT should work with any version of x86-based OS X.

Never use someone elses DSDT dump.

The code differs depending on how much memory you have installed, BIOS version and maybe even motherboard revision. Changing BIOS settings can also affect the contents.

PaddyBhoy

PaddyBhoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Thank you for your reply, I have my own dump but cannot open it om my own mac as it's only 10.5.8 which does not support Java 1.6 that the patcher needs

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
Then use DSDTSE
http://www.osx86.es/?p=610

PaddyBhoy

PaddyBhoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
looks like it's not gonna happen for me, I've installed DSDTSE and it is not supported by my arcitecture. Thank you anyway

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts

looks like it's not gonna happen for me, I've installed DSDTSE and it is not supported by my arcitecture. Thank you anyway

Yes, DSDTSE is made for Hackintosh use and is therefore Intel only, it will not work on a PPC Mac.

If your Mac doesn't have a PPC CPU then you have some kind of mysterious configuration problem.

PaddyBhoy

PaddyBhoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
yep it's ppc

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Just a thought, have you tried Attesor? It's an open source project (stopped a while ago) to run Intel apps on PPC Macs (notice it's Rosetta backwards).

PaddyBhoy

PaddyBhoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Just a thought, have you tried Attesor? It's an open source project (stopped a while ago) to run Intel apps on PPC Macs (notice it's Rosetta backwards).

I got an error with Attesor and it wouldn't open any of the dsdt editors. Anyway just out of interest how are the modified DSDT files loaded. Are they loaded from the extra folder when the modcd is ran?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
Chameleon loads DSDT.aml automatically from /Extra at the root of your system partition (or the root of the partition where Chameleon is installed) unless you specify a different path to it in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D

...unless you specify a different path to it in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Well, in our case it's com.apple.boot.plist...doesn't really matter, though. It does the same thing. :P

I got an error with Attesor and it wouldn't open any of the dsdt editors. Anyway just out of interest how are the modified DSDT files loaded. Are they loaded from the extra folder when the modcd is ran?

Are you booting from the hard drive yet? You should be...

PaddyBhoy

PaddyBhoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Well, in our case it's com.apple.boot.plist...doesn't really matter, though. It does the same thing. :P

Are you booting from the hard drive yet? You should be...

No thats what i was trying to rsolve with the modded DSDT

Chameleon loads DSDT.aml automatically from /Extra at the root of your system partition (or the root of the partition where Chameleon is installed) unless you specify a different path to it in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Ah i see so you must be able to get to the partition first, but as i can't even get to where it allows me to partition the disk I'm screwed. I was barking completely up the wrong tree

thanks you for the info

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
Put the DSDT on a flash drive. You can specify a different DSDT location like this: at the boot prompt, you would type:

DSDT=hd(1,0)/dsdt.aml

or similar. For info on how you type the hd(1,0) part, see this post

PaddyBhoy

PaddyBhoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Put the DSDT on a flash drive. You can specify a different DSDT location like this: at the boot prompt, you would type:

DSDT=hd(1,0)/dsdt.aml

or similar. For info on how you type the hd(1,0) part, see this post

Is there a way that i can tell which HDD number it assigns for the flashdrive

Also can i run the following cmd DSDT=hd(1,0)/dsdt.aml mach_kernel ?

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts
I said how in the post I linked above. But, what you do is count your hard drives. They are numbered starting with 0. Your flash drive is the number after that. So, if you have one HDD, your flash drive is drive 1; if you have two HDDs, your flash drive is drive 2.

You'd run that command as:

mach_kernel DSDT=hd(1,0)/dsdt.aml

Manolis Yousmallvan

Manolis Yousmallvan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK. I formated the disk as hfs+ using the live cd. Now i don't really understand what i'm doing.

loop0 says it's busy.
i tried to use loop1 but when i try to mount it says wrong fs. here's my terminal screenshot.

Attached File  Screenshot at 2012-01-15 00:18:44.png   66.69KB   7 downloads

I downloaded another iso for 10.6 snow leopard. So typed the 10.6.0 retail dvd commands.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
Jeeeeebus. Don't make it harder than it is. If you're trying to boot with a Chameleon boot CD and you for some reason need a patched DSDT in order to boot, just drop your patched DSDT in /Extra on the boot CD .iso before burning it. Use UltraISO or similar to add the file.

PaddyBhoy

PaddyBhoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
thank you that's what i was trying to get at :) . I'll give that a bat, thank you Gringo and Pooky for all the advice so far.

EDIT: I've just been given a Lion disk which went straight on, very strange

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts

Jeeeeebus. Don't make it harder than it is. If you're trying to boot with a Chameleon boot CD and you for some reason need a patched DSDT in order to boot, just drop your patched DSDT in /Extra on the boot CD .iso before burning it. Use UltraISO or similar to add the file.

The only problem is nawcom built the CD with preboot and postboot images on it, so you'd have to go inside the Preboot (or maybe the postboot) image to throw in a DSDT. Usually when I tried to mod any of the images the CD wouldn't load right.

Manollis, I don't really know what's going on, as I haven't tried it, and I'm no Linux guru. Do you have access to a Mac?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
I wouldn't know, I always make my own boot CDs. Maybe try starting with blank preboot.dmg and re-build the CD...I don't know how to do that from Windows though.

There's a blank preboot.dmg attached to my Chameleon boot CD guide over on the VoodooProjects forum. Find a post by me over there and follow the link in my signature...you must register to download files.

Jaede

Jaede

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,

First of all thank you for this guide! I think it's the best guide I have found this far. I followed it but am having a problem after installing OS X. It boots and plays the intro video sound but I have no video. My screen is black with no cursor. What can I do to resolve this? I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT. I have tried booting with -v GraphicsEnabler=yes, but it didn't help.

Can I install the 10.6.8 update (After I can actually see my OS ofcourse)? Or will this do more harm than good?

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy