Any Games working??

thechung

38 posts in this topic

hi, most people can get many apps to work (every app i got works perfect) but has anyone tried to play native ppc mac games on their x86 yet?

I tried zoo tycoon, got to the menu and the game closed itself.

Would this be a opengl problem or is the 8mb graphics mem on 915 not good enough?

i remember someone got quake 3 and ut2004 to work, anyone tried?

thechung

Any games I've tried that are played in a "window" played fine (can't remember which ones, but I tried a couple). But any games that switched to full-screen crapped out. Not sure why. I posted a message in the forum with screenshots. Just do a search for it.

By the way, you can increase the starting Video RAM on the 915g from 8 MB to 32 in the BIOS, and change the other settings for higher video performance.

By the way, you can increase the starting Video RAM on the 915g from 8 MB to 32 in the BIOS, and change the other settings for higher video performance.

i have tried to change it but whatever i do, at start (ie vesa 3) says 7mb

there are 2 different types of mem that can be config, i cant remember what they were called but i am pretty sure it doesn't get recognised in osx. They seem to be secondary options as the main one is either 1mb or 8mb.

The other two can be set to fix at 32, 64 or something like that but there is no difference, not even in winxp.

It must be my bios version, i think it is american megatrends (asus p5gdc-v) ver.1011 (latest i think)

so can you give some details on how to change, even just for your bios... cause i might consider flashing back a couple of releases to try things out.

thanks

thechung

Any games I've tried that are played in a "window" played fine (can't remember which ones, but I tried a couple). But any games that switched to full-screen crapped out. Not sure why. I posted a message in the forum with screenshots. Just do a search for it.

Can you please describe the way you increased video RAM for the 915g from your BIOS? I'd be gratefull. I ran Quake Arena III real nice in full screen, but would anyway want to give my 915 as much ram as possible. Thanx in advance!

depends on mobo and bios manufacturer, also regardless of what it says when it starts.....the reserving of video memory is dynamic....aka it reserves more as it needs it....even tho it only says 7mb....it will reserve more and work fine as it needs it....dont let anyone tell you that thats all the memory it will ever use...its only what it starts with

also hit the forums and search for stuff on the 915....some 915s dont load the proper kexts and you end up either crashing or no QE/QI, PM if you cant find anything on it and i'll try to walk you through it

Can you please describe the way you increased video RAM for the 915g from your BIOS? I'd be gratefull. I ran Quake Arena III real nice in full screen, but would anyway want to give my 915 as much ram as possible. Thanx in advance!

Here's my bios setting:

Video Configuration ->

Primary Video Adapter - Auto

Frame Buffer Size - 32MB

IGD Aperature Size - 256MB

DVMT Mode - Both

IGD DVMT/Fixed Memory - 128MB

Sorry, that's all the info I have for you. I hope it helps you.

Clive Barkers Undying works great, the cursor floats away from you though. to fix that, go to the game video options and change drivers from 32bit to 16bit and then back to 32bit, that fixes it.

American McGees Alice runs well.

Wingnuts runs, don't change video options until you've played the game once or it doesn't play fullscreen.

Giants Mecc Demo has no sound, and plays very slowly.

Halo doesn't play, the GMA900 has no Hardware Transform & Lighting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't think that's the case. Check 3D Graphics Pipeline on this page. And anyway Halo has been known to run even on the first generation Radeon (PCI) and G3 processor!

how come no one is commenting on whether it works on WOW! i haven't tried it yet. Its a long install and i have to find my cds.

• 3 weeks later...

HALO, realy dont play at all, i have tried many times, with diferent configurations...

RETURN TO CASTLE OF WOLFSTEIN runs smooth fullscreen, HIGH detail... super duper !!

other cool thing that runs is LUCAS ARTS GAMES emulated by SCUMVM

runs fast and super cool.

still looking for more hardcore games that runs!!

any ideas ???

i have tried to change it but whatever i do, at start (ie vesa 3) says 7mb

there are 2 different types of mem that can be config, i cant remember what they were called but i am pretty sure it doesn't get recognised in osx. They seem to be secondary options as the main one is either 1mb or 8mb.

The other two can be set to fix at 32, 64 or something like that but there is no difference, not even in winxp.

It must be my bios version, i think it is american megatrends (asus p5gdc-v) ver.1011 (latest i think)

so can you give some details on how to change, even just for your bios... cause i might consider flashing back a couple of releases to try things out.

thanks

thechung

It is your bios version. U need the 1008 version, which still has the ability to give up to 32 mb to the videocard. The newer bios versions have only 8 mb max and the other part of the memory is dynamic allocated. Great for Windows which supports it, but not so great for osx which doesn't support that trick. You can flash your bios in dos with afudos + the 1008 rom file.

• 1 month later...

Monopoly for OSX crashes sometimes, but does work.

I've also got Quake 3 working, and I still have to try UT2004 out (didn't had any time to search for a serial for it)

Although the GMA900 isn't really state of the art when it comes to playing games, it can be done and it even runs at acceptable speeds :(

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. I have got both Civilization 3 and Rise of Nations Gold installed on my system. Civ works great but Rise, I haven't tried out 100% but it does seem just a tiny slow compared to the same game on XP but still very playable, I'm just being picky. I also have all of MS Office 2004 and iLife '06 installed and working well. I am running OSX86 10.4.5

Celeron 330J 2.66Ghz Processor

ASRock 775 Dual mobo

gma900 graphics

built in sound card

sata 300gb drive

MAd-dog dvd/cd writer

You wanna try doom 3 and ut2004 m8 they run real sweet just as good as on my pc side hehe

Richocet lost worlds ---- full screen and windowed

Luxor amun rising ---- Fullscreen and windowed

Sims 2 ---- Windowed

Break Quest ---- windowed

Mame ----- fullscreen and windowed

Power64 ---- fullscreen and windowed

Arnold ---- Fullscreen and windowed

UT2004 Demo does not work for me and neither do the Trial or Retail versions of Halo. ( I downloaded the retail but I own the PC version, cut me some slack!) I haven't done a lot of research on the games yet though so it may be because I'm running nVidia?

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice (SSE, SSE2, SSE3)

Asus A8N-E

BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC

Cosair 2x512 (XMMS or something)

No Sound

ADMTek 983 PCI Ethernet

Maxtor 60GB ATA HDD (No SATA or full use of ATA drive yet!) D:

I installed the homemade nVidia drivers for OSX and all went fine, but nothing feels different. The system at least recognizes the videocard vendor and ID. When I load UT2004 it shows the slash screen then the screen flashes black quickly and it exits (X11 terminal tells me its an opengl thing) and Halo loads but gives me an "unretreivable error" or something and quits too.

Also, I'm using an untouched CoreGraphics file and an untouched kernel to fully use my SSE3.

I really want to get games running so I can see how they are. :D It may sound silly, but if I can run some games decently I might consider getting a Mac for gaming! XD

UT2004 Demo does not work for me and neither do the Trial or Retail versions of Halo. ( I downloaded the retail but I own the PC version, cut me some slack!) I haven't done a lot of research on the games yet though so it may be because I'm running nVidia?

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice (SSE, SSE2, SSE3)

Asus A8N-E

BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC

Cosair 2x512 (XMMS or something)

No Sound

ADMTek 983 PCI Ethernet

Maxtor 60GB ATA HDD (No SATA or full use of ATA drive yet!) D:

I installed the homemade nVidia drivers for OSX and all went fine, but nothing feels different. The system at least recognizes the videocard vendor and ID. When I load UT2004 it shows the slash screen then the screen flashes black quickly and it exits (X11 terminal tells me its an opengl thing) and Halo loads but gives me an "unretreivable error" or something and quits too.

Also, I'm using an untouched CoreGraphics file and an untouched kernel to fully use my SSE3.

I really want to get games running so I can see how they are. :D It may sound silly, but if I can run some games decently I might consider getting a Mac for gaming! XD

Halo - the unretreivable error is that it can't find any OpenGL drivers loaded. UT2004 quits because it can't bind any OpenGL driver to the OpenGL library (again, because you have no OpenGL driver loaded). Your nVidia card is why you have no drivers loaded - they didn't work in 10.4.1 or in any OS X x86 version so far. On the other hand, both games run awesome on my system.

• 2 weeks later...

The original Unreal Tourny runs great at max settings for me

Sims2 runs full screen, but freezes when I enter a house...havent tried it windowed yet, not sure how.

Would love to get ut2004 going, having issues with it though

PIV 530 3ghz

MSI 915 GM-fr

Intel int GMA 900

1gb dual ch 400

UT2004 Full version works here. The only problem is the mouse disappearing after exiting, forcing me to reboot. I do expeince graphic lags at UT setting 1280x1024x24, all other UT setting at default.

UT2004 Full version works here. The only problem is the mouse disappearing after exiting, forcing me to reboot. I do expeince graphic lags at UT setting 1280x1024x24, all other UT setting at default.

Your CPU has no SSE3. That's why it's slow with UT2004. My Hackintosh gets about 40-50FPS on many maps with maximum quality at 1024x768 (my max res).