Belkin USB Ethernet Hub (F5L009) and Lion 10.7 driver

10 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

post-260924-1317824574_thumb.jpg

I've bought this Belkin USB Ethernet Hub a few days ago and want to share my eyperiences with you. This piece of hardware seemed to be hyped as a perfect solution for making USB ports available in wired networks. So I thought driver support won't be a problem - far from it! OSX drivers only available till leopard (10.5) and Windows 7 users also seem to complain about permanent connecting / disconnecting problems. Very annoying. Due to the fact that the 10.5 driver couldn't install a "SXUPTP.kext" I found this thread with a really good workaround so far. Installation worked and everything seemed to run flawlessly. I am in a student living community with many printing jobs. So it happened only a few hours later that the Belkin interface signaled to be connected with a printer but in fact it wasn't. It was left to chance whether we could print or not. I spent hours to find a maybe good working solution for the mentioned problem:

Belkin officially discontinued driver support for the FL009.

• Go to the plug-ins Folder and delete everything except "Belkin USB Print and Storage Center".

• Execute "Belkin_Setup_and_Monitor_Install"

• Now execute "Belkin USB Print and Storage Center" in the plug-ins folder --> Restart.

You should now see a new icon in your taskbar

post-260924-1317823813_thumb.jpg post-260924-1317823820_thumb.jpg

In the dropdown menu you can access a fresh new interface in the design of the original FL009 driver. Am I wrong or is that exactly the driver Belkin withholds from us? Why can I find a appropriate driver in a totally different hardware setup?

However - since that install I didn't recognize any difficulties. Printers connect / disconnect reliably and our USB harddrive is accessible again.

Please share your thoughts - I'd be glad hearing from you ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad to see someone else is having issues with this (if that doesn't sound wrong).

I've had the same problem with all versions of sxuptp, including the newest 1.5

Computers that are lan connected to my router work perfectly (mac pro and mac mini on 10.6.8) and computers that are wirelessly connected are having problems. (also mac book pro on 10.6.8)

To be clear, my wireless connection is fine. I'm in close proximity to the router and there are no wireless dropouts.

The problem is that devices appear to connect and disconnect no problem, but intermittently fail.

I used an ilok for protools. Sometimes it PT9 will open, sometimes it will complain that the ilok is missing.

Reboot of computer AND hub seems to be required to get it going again.

Printer suffers also. Belkin software always appears to connect when I ask, but it seems like osx only sees the printer when it wants to.

Any thoughts on this?

I've removed belkin software and am now using sx virtual link 3.6.2 with sxuptp 1.9.

Had no problems for the last few days, so fingers crossed!

UPDATE.

Broke again, but to a greater extent.

Connects fine, works fine, disconnects after about one minute.

Then when it changes it's mine it just won't disconnect at all!

This is between kernel panics with iousbfamily

Again, the problem is with wireless accessing computers. Lan = Fine.

Sorry for the repeat posts, but i think I have something.

My kernel panics always related to iousbfamily.

If i connected my iloks, then disconnected later for whatever reason, they wouldn't work upon reconnect.

Devices would also be unreliable if i had quit the belkin software then reopened it at a later time.

So, on a hunch I reverted iousbfamily.kext and iousbmassstorageclass.kext to the versions from 10.6.3. (3.9.6 from 4.4.0?)

Now, the belkin hub shows under usb devices in system profiler as 'null', accurately listing any connected devices.

This was NOT listed using 10.6.8 usb kexts.

Update:1

10.6.3 versions made waking from sleep fail.

I have now reverted IOUSBfamily.kext ONLY to 10.6.5/10.6.6 version 4.1.7. which shows devices in system profiler and allows sleep.

Now i can quit the belkin software, disconnect, reconnect, etc and everything will still work.

Update:2

It seems that we have to make sure all devices are disconnected before putting the mac to sleep.

Not doing so leads to problems and ultimately KP.

I can live with that though.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the repeat posts, but i think I have something.

My kernel panics always related to iousbfamily.

If i connected my iloks, then disconnected later for whatever reason, they wouldn't work upon reconnect.

Devices would also be unreliable if i had quit the belkin software then reopened it at a later time.

So, on a hunch I reverted iousbfamily.kext and iousbmassstorageclass.kext to the versions from 10.6.3. (3.9.6 from 4.4.0?)

Now, the belkin hub shows under usb devices in system profiler as 'null', accurately listing any connected devices.

This was NOT listed using 10.6.8 usb kexts.

Update:1

10.6.3 versions made waking from sleep fail.

I have now reverted IOUSBfamily.kext ONLY to 10.6.5/10.6.6 version 4.1.7. which shows devices in system profiler and allows sleep.

Now i can quit the belkin software, disconnect, reconnect, etc and everything will still work.

Update:2

It seems that we have to make sure all devices are disconnected before putting the mac to sleep.

Not doing so leads to problems and ultimately KP.

I can live with that though.

Thanks for your hard work! In the meantime I made bad experiences with my suggested Belkin method above. Connections got lost. I tried my luck with sx virtual link 3.6.2. Thank you so much for this idea. Connections are much more stable now :D

Could you please let me know how stable this is in a week or two?

If it works out 100% for you I would consider upgrading to Lion.

If not, I'm gonna take a hammer to the hub.lol.

I'll try doing so - I don't really print much - I'll leave a comment the next days :unsure:

I'll try doing so - I don't really print much - I'll leave a comment the next days ;)

Thanks,

Would you consider plugging in a flash drive or something? Maybe connect it and leave it a while, disconnect it later etc?

If it's convenient of course. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks,

Would you consider plugging in a flash drive or something? Maybe connect it and leave it a while, disconnect it later etc?

If it's convenient of course. :)

Hi again,

well I'm quite dissatisfied with all that solutions so far... Connections via SX Virtual Link are very buggy. They get lost and you have to be very patient getting your printer back working. I use a Canon Pixma ip5300 and a HP2015dn printer. If one of them IS connected (well SX tells me the printer IS connected but the truth is mostly different) and got lost I have to activate the other printer to get the first running ... and so on. It is always luck to get your document printed without any mistakes. I am really sorry telling you that - I've spent quite a money because I thought that printserver couldn't make any problems...

PS: I didn't try the flash drive clue - sorry :D

Sorry to hear that YDMIDY,

I guess this is just a lost cause device afterall.

Such a shame cos I can't find a working equivalent at a decent price.

I still don't understand why mine works fine over lan, but not over wireless.....

Maybe someone else will chip in here.