3 replies to this topic

lolof

lolof

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Hello,

Could someone skilled explain me where the SMboard number comes from in a real Mac computer.
I mean, does the applesmbios.kext take this out the efi (bios) or it is read directly on a chip on the motheboard? If from efi, is this encrypted in efi bios ?
Thanks in advance

EDIT :

Smbios parser report this in raw output :

Apple Inc..Mac.F4208EC 8.PVT.1base.Board.Asset.Tag.part.Component

Does the "base.Board.Asset.Tag.part.Component" means that it is readed directly from the chip board itself ???

Thanks

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts
Are you trying to install Lion on a Mac Mini?

From what I've read you can do that if you change the CPU to a Core 2 Duo.

lolof

lolof

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Yes, I have already changed the CPU. Update the firmware of the macmini1,1 to 2,1. (Mac-F4208EC8 to Mac-F4208EAA)

I would like to know if it is possible to change the SMboardproduct number from a macmini1,1 to the one from the macmini2,1 and to really have a native Lion installation. To be clear, I do not speak about the SN, this can be change by software means....
It's not the case if you only change the CPU and upgrade the firmware.
I would like to know if this board product number in osx comes from the bios or if it directly comes from the board chip itself. I mean, where IOregistryexplorer takes this information from...
If this is from the efi chip (bios), one could be desolder the chip and reprogram it with a tweaked dump...
Just the check from Lion installer on the SMboardproduct number avoid to have a native installation.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts
Maybe you could use one of the old SMBIOS injector kexts that were widely used before this was handled by the Chameleon bootloader via smbios.plist.
I think this one by Chun Nan/Eureka can be modified to work for your purposes:
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=108606

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy